Need sudgestions for new speakers to match integra dtr-7

I currently am running Bose am500 and Bose v300's With the integra Dtr-7. I would like to spend around 1500.00 and get better more efficent sound for my home theater enjoyment. I am not concerend with music. I use this system soley for home theater (I was asked wile looking, figured it was important). My dvd player is a Integra dps-5. My room size is 17.5' x 12.5' x 8' I was looking for floorstanding but have to admit i dont know what the hell i'm looking for. I need help please. Thanks

Hawk
Randy:

If you aren't concerned with music, I don't think you have any need for floorstanding speakers. You are better off with five matched speakers and a subwoofer, especially given your modest sized room.

Additionally, you have a receiver that is not overly powerful (expect the real power to be about half what the manufacturer rates it at) and somewhat reserved sounding. Therefore, what you need is a speaker system that is very clear and articulate. I would therefore suggest two systems for you (I am assuming you need a subwoofer, as well).

First, I recommend the Aperion Audio Intimus system. You can choose the size subwoofer you get and I would recommend the 10" for your size room. Here is the link to their website as these are only sold over the internet (but they do come with a 30 day freee in home trial period--if you don't like them, jsut send them back):

http://www.aperionaudio.com/

The Intumus runs anywhere from $1195 to $1495 as I recall, depending upon which subwoofer you choose.

The second system that I like for your receiver, room, and listening habits is the JMlabs Sib/Cub system. This system is sold through dealers and only comes with an 8" subwoofer, but it is a very good one and the Sibs (the satellites) are very articulate sounding. Here is a link to a description of this system on the Audio Advisor website:

http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=JMLSIBCUB5%2E1&product_name=SIB/CUB%205%2E1%20Home%20Theater%20Speaker%20System

Ignore the speaker stands in their picture as the Sibs come with a fully articulating wall bracket for mounting on the wall (but they can be stand mounted, too). Price on the Sib/Cub system is $1195.

Good luck.

Hawk,

I want to thank you for taking the time to respond. i found a deal today i couldn't pass up. Two guys in a white... I am just kidding. Hope you have a sense of humor!

Seriously, I Purchased the following:

Polk RTi150 loudspeakers
Polk CSi40 Center
Velodyne CHT-10 sub (didn't feel like returning the polk 10 sub every week, heard they blow easy.)

I purchased all this for 1500.00. I couldnt pass it up. I've seen the RTi150's priced as high as 1500.00 a pair.

I wasn't able to pick up rears, but will in the coming months. For now I will reluctantly,use the v300's.

I have bi-wired both front and center chanels. What a difference in sound compared to the cubes.
I wont push them until they break in, but I have to say they dont seem to be under-powerd at all. Clean and crip. They sound awesome.

I do have to play with the sub posstioning to get the sound i like, but that, hopefully, is minor. Initaly the base just didn't seem to mesh with the front chanels. I had it set around 60hz w/ less than half volume.

Hawk, thanks again for your response. I couldn't pass on the polks. i hope you dont feel as though you wasted your time in responding.

Hawk
Randy:

LOL!!!!! I actually sat in my chair saying "Oh, NO! when I got to the words "Two guys in a white van . . ."! You defintiely "got me" on that one! I have already read so many of those white van stories I am ready to puke!

Speakers: sounds good! I have to admit I have not heard the RTi 150s--no good Polk dealer in my area anymore, but you like them so that is what counts. Your price is good and I like your plan to defer getting the rears thus allowing you to buy better speakers for your mains now. In the long run, it makes for a better system and more satisfaction for you.

The Velodyne sub is quite good and I think you were wise to get it over the Polk sub. The V is much more accurate and better damped. And, no, I never feel like I wasted my time. I just try to give poeple ideas and options, and if you come across something better, that is the best outcome of all.

Enjoy!

Hawk:

I am currently selecting components for my new home. It has been prewired for ceiling speakers and a front right corner subwoofer.

I am leaning toward the Yamaha 2400 receiver, KEF Q9 center speaker, Sonance 830DR front and Sonance RS2 rear surrounds with Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer.

The room is 18'D x 20'W and is open on the 18' side which will be the rear of the room in relation to the speakers. We will eventually build in an entertainment center to house the receiver, dvd and plasma tv after we have determined which components we will be using. We will use the system for classical music, digital movies and HDTV.

The ceiling speakers that I have chosen are 8", should I be looking for 6" for this size of room? Will these speaker's be compatible with the receiver that I have chosen?

Any suggestions?

Hawk
Ken:

I have a problem with Yamaha receivers for classical music. We have had more people than I can count who came on thsi forum to praise their Yamaha receiver, but who also admitted it wasn't too good with music. Yamahas have a certain brightness (emphasis in the upper midrange, 2-4 Khz) which seems to make HT more exciting, but music really suffers. The Sonance speakers are also a bit hot (often necessary for an in-wall speaker), so I don't think the Sonance and the Yamaha are a good match.

In that price range, I prefer a more musical receiver, either the NAD 762 or the Marantz 7300. Even when listening to HT applications, the sound is more natural and realistic.

I do like the Sonance in-wall speakers, and I think the 8" speakers are the more appropriate size (that is a pretty big room). For your subwoofer, however, I would strongly recommend the Hsu Research VTF-2, available online for $449 at www.hsuresearch.com (just about the same price as the Velodyne, but I think the Hsu is a lot better). Dr. Hsu is a legend in subwoofers and the VTF-2 is one of the best subs out there for under $1K.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us