Have $5000 to spend on speakers.please advice.

softwiz
have $ 5000 for a home theatre set up(speakers only).any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.medium size room.

elitefan
What are you going to drive these speakers with?

Marc Racine
www.axiomaudio.com
'nuff said

softwiz
have not decided on a reciever yet.have 10 grand for the whole system(dvd,reciever,speakers and cables).any suggestions?

Hawk
softwiz:

Well, I can dream, so I will take a shot at this. Hmmm, ten grand for a HT system . . . . Well, here goes:

Outlaw 950 pre/pro: $ 795
NAD S250 THX 5 channel amp: $ 2000
Magnepan MG 1.6 Front speakers: $ 1675
Magnepan MGCC3 Center speaker: $ 995
Magnepan MGMC1 surround speakers: $ 725
Hsu Research VTF-3 Subwoofer: $ 849
Marantz DV6400 Universal Player: $ 895

Total: $ 7934

And I have money left over for lots of software. You can also save a few bucks by substituting an NAD T532 DVD/CD/DVD-A player instead of the Marantz--it would save you $400 and probably would sound better, too, but it does sacrifice SACD playback ability (probably not worth it, but if you already have SACDs, you may wish to stick with the Marantz).

Here is a review of the Magnepan speaker system just to give you an idea of why I chose that system, but this review includes the older CC2 center speaker (the new CC3 is much better):

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/magnepan_16_cc2_mc1_system.htm

Enjoy!

softwiz
Mr.hawk,
as usual your advice makes a lot of sense.but have you actually heard the set up you describe?
anyone else out there have a different view on the magnepans??

Hawk
softwiz:

I have not heard that exact system all together, but I have heard each of the components at one time or another. If I had your money, that is exactly the system I would assemble for myself. I have heard that Maggie system driven by an NAD 762 receiver and it is pretty awesome. More power from the NAD separate amp would make them sound even better, IMO.

John A.
The NAD T532 is not yet a "true" DVD-A player; the T533 (February) will be. Since there is still money to spare (weep) you could consider the T562 or T563, instead.

Hawk
Thank you John! I meant to say the T 533 DVD/CD/DVD-A player, not the T 532, which does not have the DVD-A playback ability.

softwiz
thank you guys.MR.hawk,is the OUTLAW necessary in the set up??

John A.
I heard the news of the T533 from you, Hawk!

Hawk
softwiz:

Yes. You have to have a control amplifier (preamp + processor, aka a "pre/pro") that takes the signal and processes it for your sound. So, when watching a DVD, the sound signal goes into the Outlaw and is divided based upon whatever format you choose, such as DTS or Dolby digital, and this gives you your surround sound. Or, if you are playing a CD, you may choose a format other than normal stereo such as Dolby Pro Logic II where a two channel signal is processed into a five channels signal for surround sound.

Now, you may want a different pre/pro than the Outlaw, but a pre/pro is absolutely necessary to a system. Receivers have a pre/pro built in, but the better quality is in the separate components.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us