Will my speakers work with Vinyl?

Username: J_brady

Post Number: 1
Hi, im thinking of getting a turntable, its looking like the Rega RP-1 at the moment, and I was just wondering whether I would be able to connect it to my current speakers.
My current speakers are actually studio monitors, specifically Yamaha HS80m's, and they are connected to my computer through an external soundcard. obviously these use 1/4inch jack plugs, I was wondering if there was a way I could use these with my record player, Im new to vinyl so I'm wondering what would i need in terms of a pre-amp or whatever?
It would be great if I could use the speakers with both my computer and turntable without having to switch the cables between each, but I realise this may not be possible.

Any response is much appreciated.

Thanks
Jack

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15568
Jack, does your card accept an input in 3.5mm?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15569
Jack, does your card accept an input in 3.5mm?
Get a cheap receiver With a phono stage.

Post Number: 2
No it doesn't, it only has two inputs for guitar and one xlr.
could someone give me an example of a receiver with phono stage that would work? are there any other problems or inconveniences with this setup that i haven't thought of?
I dont want to go too cheap if it means Im going to be losing quality.

like I said, Im new.

Thanks Nuck

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15550

You should be able to find a sound card with a phono pre amp installed or, better yet, instead of the Rega RP-1, buy a table with a USB output. These normally include a phono pre amp on board the table and you have a plug and play situation. Companies such as NAD and Belari also sell USB phono pre amps external to the table.

http://home-audio.audioadvisor.com/search?w=USB+phono+pre+amp&x=11&y=10

http://home-audio.audioadvisor.com/search?w=USB+turntables

While each of these are good products you can also find other options if you look around for similar items via a search engine. Also try Music Direct and Elusive Disc as possible sources of product and advice.

Post Number: 3
Ok thanks, but the idea is that I want to keep the quality of the vinyl, and I've read things which highly recommend the RP1 (notably What Hifi). Also I have heard bad things about the usb turntables soundwise.
Im thinking that converting the signal digitally through my soundcard would probably harm the sound, so I was more wondering if there was a way around that, with a good analogue pre that could just go straight to my speakers.

Thanks anyway, I'll keep looking
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us