Panel Mods

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1778
I just removed the Chrome Plated Steel (!) jumpers from my panels and replaced them with hand-whittled #6 copper. The stock jumpers are just over 0.15" and the copper started about 10thousands thicker...so I had some sanding to do after I bent the 'horseshoe' shape.
I have no interest in bi-wiring or bi-amping so the next steps will be to remove all that 'extra' stuff, too. The jumpers go away at that point.

Within the next week, I'll be pulling the connection plate off the back and getting RID of the fuse and investigate getting rid of the banana connectors, too. The hard-core of modder reports being able to eliminate a dozen connections or more.....can't hurt, can it?

Panels, and Magnepan in particular, are good for this type of mod. since I won't be disturbing any air seals or moving any drivers....yet.

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1083
Are you planning on listening as you make each change Leo, or are you going to go ahead and eliminate every connection you can with the assumption that less is more ?

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1084
Pictures would be good too !

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1779
Being 'photographically inclined' I am planning on taking photos.
That means dragging out a lot of stuff. Strobe, flash meter, camera with Macro lens and several tripods. Strobe gets an umbrella and diffusor and I may use some additional reflectance. I may take a cameraphone picture of the setup!

Now, as to listening tests between changes? I'm not quite able to pull this one off.
First, I don't know what changes I'll be making. Each panel has 3 pairs of banana plugs. Pair #1 is full range, while pairs 2 / 3 are for LF and HF and go thru that part of the crossover. Somewhere in the HF end is a fuse which MUST go. I've never popped it and don't listen at loudness levels requiring a trip to the ER afterwards. The jumpers are between #2 and #3 plugs. You can also insert a resistor there to turn down the HF. I did the same thing by turning the panel around and listening to the pole piece side, not the mylar.
Also, the room is not perfectly symmetrical. If there are tiny differences between speakers, how do I tell room from speaker?

I will only remove the connection plate and NOT pull the 'sock' for this round of mods. Pulling the sock is a big deal and requires pulling dozens (from what I'm told) of staples. This is supposed to be not difficult but a real PIA.

The biggest changes will be hopefully next year at this time. I will be ditching the MDF frames in favor of some real and beautiful wood with integrated stands. People that use metal stands (MYE, among many DIY) and wooden frames claim great benefit. I'm not into bridgework and so will build the whole thing of wood. Wood Shop Class is tomorrow and I must go prepare. I have some 'homework' to finish.....sanding!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us