Cost No Object Gear

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13300
Value or not, here's where to post your favorite and not so favorite top shelf gear.

How's that Stof!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15440
Top shelf that I have owned?
Thats kinda mid-fi...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15441
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/196635-totem_mani2_signature_speakersmint /

OK, maybe i would buy these again...
With mono MC402 amps.

These are as good as everybody says...and as stupid as everybody says, too!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15076
Nuck
Those speakers are amazing!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15443
I had them for a while (with Classe power), and yes, they are stupidly amazing!

However...I would like to try them again, but with a couple kilowatts of Mac power

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3411
The Mani-2 are amazing, the very best bookshelf speakers I've listened to bar none, but alas as my friend Nuck found out, you need to have something like a Warp-Core Engine to satiate them. As demanding as the Mani-2 are, they are still somewhat within the reach of a modestly-crazed audio-nut, while the Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2 are reserved for only those who have inherited an oil well or have a 48" vertical leap.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15444
That ad (in CDN$) with stands and beaks, is the cry for release from someone who found out the hard way that a low current amp, with a sub-KW power supply will be left jilted wilted and flaccid after a 3 song exercise.

Maybe even 3 Barry White songs.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15445
On the other end or the circuit, I have been more than happy with the Mac MC402 power amp.

This unit does axactly what it claims to...for openers.

As some of you know, I tend to be rather demanding of my gear. I will not won anything that goes to 80%, nor anything that goes soft. Despite the fact that I post LOUD so often, I am more likely to see .4W in my room 99% of the time.

However, when duty calls, I demand action.

This amp (if the meters are to believed) will swing well into the 800 wpc region, with very little protection light activity. Doing this for 30 mins (with hearing protection, obviously) produces rather modest amounts of heat in the amplifier.

At a cost of 4k$, which I deemed very reasonable, this amplifier has proved itself, beyond any doubt, of being one of the most capable pieces of gear that I have ever owned.

It does not do everything.

This is not a 'first watt setup, not have I determined any ss Mac to be (so far).

But the next 4 are very satisfying (with 85 db speakers).

cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3224
Cost No Object System :

Pair of Bryston 28bsst2 1K mono blocks, with BP26 with separate PSU and remote. Paradigm Signature 8's. Fed by my new A/V Media Center to a 25,000 dollar MSB DAC Platinum.

http://bryston.com/28bsst_m.html

http://bryston.com/bp26da_m.html

http://www.msbtech.com/products/dac4diamond.php?Page=platinumHome

http://www.paradigm.com/products/paradigm-reference/floorstanding/signature-seri es/signature-s8

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15446
gallo 3.5 speakers.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo9/ref35.html

Not everyones cup of tea, but we know what these can do!

The whole story and interviews with Anthony is good, and the guy answers emails, too.

A thousand watts into the 3.1's is fun enough, but the bass driver here doesn't need an active amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15447
6 grand is hugely expensive to me. Just cause I own the 3.1 at less than 4.5 grand, with amps. But every single thing that I read from present owners is the same. Buy them.

New listeners or reviewers? Meh, kinda up and down.
If they were blindfolded, would have been 30% more favorable, I would like to think.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 792
The amp I want next (probably a few years down the line), and I assume my last amp, will be an LFD integrated.

Upload

I'm not sure if it qualifies as "cost no object". Many folks would see it as relatively modest. But I can't see myself going any higher up. I will have to try a real tube amp one day too.

CD Player: can't see myself going higher up than my Rega Apollo 35th. I love it. I think the source is extremely important, but once you hit this level I really wonder at how big an improvement spending 3-10 times the amount will yield. I dunno - perhaps it's more than I figure. In any case, the next logical move would seem to be a DAC and music streamer - getting a different CD player seems pointless. I'd like to try a filterless and non-oversampling DAC though...maybe Audio Note.

Turntable: not sure I do enough vinyl to bother with a big upgrade...but I am adding to my collection. A Rega P5-P9 would be cool to try. Or an Audio Note. I think I remember Jan recommending one of the Well Tempered Labs' players.

Speakers: a high efficiency, wide baffle design is what I'd like to try one day. Tannoy Prestige, Klipsch, Audio Note, etc.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Aurora, Colorado United States

Post Number: 2251
Speakers that i would want and i think they are worth it is the Usher BE-10/20 DMD which ever 1 my room permits,$17k and $21.5k aint really that bad in the cost no object field,but im very very smittin with the Usher S-520/SW-520 right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2252
The ultimate amp for me is a 8 watt Sun Audio single ended ultralinear KT-88 amp and its only $3k,or unless MiniWatt comes out with some parallel EL84 monoblocks or a EL34,KT88 or 6L6 version of the current N3 and it would probably be no more than $1k.There is nothing these mega buck high powered amps can do for me although their are still some Class D amps i like,along with Nelson Pass 1st Watt amps and the Monarchy amps.With pentode ultalinear single ended amps,I've never had better bass detail even very good power and dynamics,incredable midrange detail and deph,better imaging and soundstaging,and speed like this,plus with MiniWatts switching power supply it is indeed the best amp I've laid my ears on so im good here providing i dont have a airplane hangar for a room in the near feature.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13301
The LFD integrated is one of my favorites in 3k range. The Sonneteer Alabaster and Nait XS are the other two of my favorite solid state amps in that general price range...

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1515
Love it Art.

Just cause I can't afford it doesn't mean it shouldn't be out there.

There is gotta be some reason for buying lottery tickets

Gold Member

Post Number: 3416
While I haven't heard the Marantz T1, I've been starring at pics of it for years; rumor has it Marantz will still build you a pair for the tidy sum of $70K per channel.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/marantz-Project_T1.html

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2256
Now thats steep and its the price of a Porsche 911 turbo,which would you choose? and its a Marantz well spected audio company with great longevity,but their name tag should'nt be alowed to command that kind of pricetag.lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 3419
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/2006564025.html

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4033
A few weeks ago I heard what is easily the best system I've heard in a very long time. Not necessarily the best I've ever heard, but maybe the most enjoyable and musical. Full Naim system -

NAC 252 pre-amp
NAP 300 amp
HDX music server
N-DAC
Ovator S600 speakers

It just had an immediacy and presence that got out of the way and let the music's emotion flow.

Another great system -
ATC SCA2 pre-amp
ATC SCM100 active floor standers
Linn LP12 with Naim tonearm and power supply, and Lyra Scala cartridge

Bryston BP26 pre
Bryston 7BSST2 monos
Bryston BDA-1
PMC EB1+

BAT VK 300i (with super tubes) integrated
BAT CDP
Sonus Faber Cremona speakers

Just a few that I really enjoyed. I'm not sure if there's one that I'd buy over the rest. They're equally good; they just present the msuic differently. The BAT and Sonus Faber system definitely wins the looks category. McIntosh would be equally good sounding, and a little better looking IMO.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13307
Nice list, Stu. Love that first one one!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4034
I'd love to hear Naim's 500 series stuff, Art.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13310
Me too. I've heard enough Naim to know that I would like it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3421
http://www.jbl.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=DD66000CH

http://www.pcdistrict.com/jbl-dd66000ch-everest-ii-prod125794.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 3228
You hear the new 5i Art?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13312
Yes...I love Naim...what can I say. My next amp if there is to be one will probably be either one of the LFD offerings, Sugden A21SE (least likely) or a Naim Nait XS2. Last time I listened to the XS it was fantastic!

Problem is that I'm not sure that any of them are better than my Sonneteer. Until I can say that definitively I'm staying where I'm at.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3230
Cool Art. I have been staring at a 5i (new italic) integrated online now and might pull the trigger. Also have my eyes on a 5 year old Bryston b60 integrated amp. I dunno what it is, but I have an urge to buy something.lol.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13315
Those are both great amps...you know which one I'd choose but I am in a distinct minority around here...nuff said!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4036
Both are excellent amps. A little bit different from each other, but they're not opposites by any means.

Nick, if you're going to buy something, buy the Nait. Variety is the spice of life my friend. Who knows, maybe it'll make you sell your Bryston gear off

No 20 year warranty, but Naim will fix pretty much anything, and for a reasonable price too.

I'd love a SuperNait.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13319
I WOULD LOVE a Supernait...just sayin'!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3231
hmmMMmmmMm lol. Great info guys. thx.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15455
Nick, if the $ is there, I see no reason at all not to go with the Naim.

None at all, really.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3235
I will see how the Mac does first.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1518
You mean like this one Nick?

Upload

They have one on sale at Saturday audio exchange. It's from 1997 so it still has 7 years left on it for $899. Sorry I can get the direct link to the product, but you can click on the main site and then click Used on the left hand side and then Recent Additions and you will see it. They are great guys, so you may be able to negotiate with them

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4342
I owned a BP-20 that was driving a pair of Bryston mono-blocks. This pre-amp is one piece of gear I wish I never sold. It looked almost exactly like the pic above, except it had the external power supply.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4343
A pair of these would be nice:

http://mcintoshlabs.com/products/mcintosh-mc2kw-2000-watt-reference-power-amplif ier.asp

Even though I have no room for them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3439
I must tell you Dave, not that I wouldn't love those amps, but I absolutely hate the look of those McIntosh globe logos. Those blocks would look a hell of a lot classier with the traditional McIntosh lettering affixed to them.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4346
I could see how the globes would annoy some people. Nothing a can of spray paint wouldn't fix ;-)

I've actually heard these amps before, and could get past the globes, if you know what I mean.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3441
Yes I do.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15482
Just a new faceslab to be made and anodized.
I can do it for 200$ and a case of beer.

The next time I have the burning need to modify 20k$ worth of 2 units, remind me of the case of beer.

So the 1.2KW it is!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3246
wow, 2000 watts of Mac Power.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 200
what speakers would you drive Nick?

I'm still thinkin' Gallo's
& I guess I'd have to spring for a case of beer .. Abita
for Nuck's labor

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 3249
Gallo's are great. But at cost no object? Why stop at 3500 dollars.lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3457
My sentiments exactly, "why stop"?

I think the "cost no object" argument inevitably leads to the Wilson Alexandria X2.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15488
If I am thinking Wilson, it's gonna be Benesch!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3458
I've never heard them, have you heard the Alexandria?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13344
I've listened to the Maxx 2, Watt/Puppy 7 and another one whose name escapes me at the moment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4042
I'm pretty sure Nuck was referring to Wilson Benesch, which is a different company and not a model of the Wilson you're referring to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3461
Me or Art?

The Wilson Benesch various lines look very nice, but traditional; the Wilson Audio lines on the other hand are simple in a league of their own IMO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4043
Sorry, Chris. Nuck said "If I am thinking Wilson, it's gonna be Benesch!" and your post right after his was "I've never heard them, have you heard the Alexandria?", I thought you thought the Benesch was a Wilson model. My bad.

That's a bit hard to follow, but I think you get my drift.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3463
Yes I do.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15493
I will halt the chat with another display of Gallo fever.
Donning the headset (quite the look) and wind out the gear.

nearly 2 KW in there.

When does the amp get warm?

More Mac
Oh, and the Gallo 3.5.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/gallo09/opt.html

How much do you want to pay?

Hows about this for cheap?

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo10/strada.html

This is top line stuff guys, for med mid price.
Good speakers never go out of style, like sources.
Remember that, and your room doesn't change neither.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15494
Guy's, you can call me a fanboy or whatnot, but I really cannot find a place where these speakers cannot produce dead flat reproduction given my room.

Just adjust the room a bit, and this is it.

I have spiked Mike a bit with the mono subamps, but mike has the room by a mile.

I DEFINITELY need a bigger room!

working on that

Gold Member

Post Number: 4048
Nuck,

I think you should hear some ATCs. Powered properly and in the right room, I think they'd be right up your alley. Pink Floyd loved hearing DSOTM on them. I think your Macs would provide their "entry series" with enough current to get them to sing.

Not trying to change your fanboy-ness.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13352
I knew what Nuck was referring to, Sumiko is the WB distributor, or used to be. I was responding to Chris.

I'm guessing the big Harbeth's would respond well to Mac's and they do everything right IMO.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15501
If we are talking big Harbeth's, then count me in!

The small series are ore pedestrian than I think they should be, but step to the M series, then we are more on track with the OP.

M40, properly supported, wouldmake anything sound as good as possible...or as bad.
What a fun weekend it would be with them!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13355
I own the smallest which is the P3ESR and it's anything but pedestrian. Much like the first few watts on my amp are probably more nuanced and sweet than yours so too are every bit of the frequency range on the P3's up to the upper 80 db's and down to 75 hz. These would not be acceptable numbers to you but they are perfect to me. The P3ESR pretty much gets everything right and I couldn't ask for anything more.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php?section=products&page=introducingourspeake rs

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15507
Cost is no object when a piece fits just right, Art.

But you have to spend more lottery money!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 838
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/196635-totem_mani2_signature_speakersmint /

OK, maybe i would buy these again...
With mono MC402 amps.

These are as good as everybody says...and as stupid as everybody says, too!

Nuck, What Hi Fi just posted a review of the Mani-2.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Totem-Mani-2-Signature/

First time I ever heard about the use of two woofer drivers, one mounted behind the other!! Cool stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1855
I'd LOVE to hear the Pass INT150 with my panels. ....
After I take the MDF and replace it with with Mahogany.

Cost-no-object? That's kind of a relative term. Having essentially no income which is not predisposed, I'll put in the 'dream' category.

Username: Klang

Greystones, County Wicklow Ireland

Post Number: 2
I have heard most of the LFD Amps and they are excellent choose the right speakers and you will have to spend a lot of money to better them ! I have been in their workshop / factory and everything is hand assembled , tested / retested and tweaked I mean these guys are obsessional about the gear they put out. That is why there can be a delay in shipping orders. NB; another reason their gear still commands good resale values even many years later.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13763
LFD and Harbeth are a match made in heaven and are paired together quite often. Sonneteer and Harbeth should be considered in the same league.

I too would like to hear the new Pass amps..especially the new Class A amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4281
Pass's First Watt stuff intrigues me. Seems like a solid concept on paper, only downfall is speaker selection is very limited. Haven't heard it though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15663
I am spending as fast as I can, for heavens sakes!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 892
I'm really enjoying my new Tannoys, and it has got me reading about phase and time coherent designs. Thiel has a nice, relatively easy to understand explanation here: http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/Pages/FAQs/faqtimephase.html.

I know many speaker designers don't consider this of prime importance, yet it seems very logical on the surface. I think I read it in Stereophile, where they said a time and phase aligned speaker certainly doesn't hurt, assuming the speaker is already well designed. But of course if there are other problems, time and phase alignment isn't going to fix them.

I'm not in the market for anything new anytime soon (hopefully I won't make even one new purchase in 2011). But when I visit Audio Eden again later on this year, I'd definitely like to hear a pair of Reference 3a or Vandersteen speakers. I'd be very interested to hear a two way time-aligned speaker that does not employ a crossover, so 3a in particular intrigues me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us