PSB Speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Wandaddy

Naha, Okinawa Japan

Post Number: 37
Hey everyone. This is my first time posting in the Home Audio section. I am thinking about getting a new stereo setup for my house. I am not looking for a surround system, I just want a 2-channel (or maybe 4-channel) stereo setup.

Back when I was in high school I had a nice little setup with PSB Image 5T's and Image 4B's powered by an older (maybe early 90's?) Harman/Kardon amplifier. I remember it is a very powerful 4-channel amplifier, may 125 or 150 watts per channel. Sorry I don't know the model number of the amplifier right now, I will try to post it soon. Anyways, after I joined the military I donated the speakers to my father for this billiards room, but he he is not using the amplifier because he has his own.

I really enjoyed the PSB speakers and the way they sounded. Most of my friends had Boston Acoustics or Paradigm speakers at that time, but I prefered my PSB's. I have been looking to maybe get a set of the Image T6's to be powered by my Harman/Kardon amplifier. How is the new Image line from PSB? Does anyone own any newer Image speakers or have you heard them before? I guess my budget for a new pair of speakers would be under $1500, so if you guys have any other suggestions, I am all ears. I am currently stationed in Japan, so I cannot go and demo many brands of speakers. Anyways, any input would be appreciated, so thank you in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 784
I have not heard the latest PSB speakers but I have no reason to think they'd be poor. PSB has a solid reputation and I've only heard good things about them recently. Well, maybe the one bad thing I've heard is about their metal tweeters...a little bit harsh, but that depends on the listener. Clearly many do not share this point of view.

If you are looking for other suggestions, I would try to hear a pair of Tannoy speakers...perhaps the Revolution DC6T, though that might be pushing your budget by a few hundred bucks. The Mercury V4 would be under your budget and should be a very nice speaker. Or a pair of Quad 21L2. Maybe even the new line from KEF, which people seem excited about. I think lots of people at this forum would suggest the Wharefedale EVO line as offering great value, and also the Monitor Audio RX6. How these all sound with your h/k amp is hard to say, but these are generally the brands I think of in this price bracket.

It's always best to listen before you buy if at all possible, preferably with your own electronics, and don't rush into a purchase. Try to ensure that what you buy is what you really want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us