Dual 505-2

Username: Natebeets

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, I wanted to reply to a thread I found on here via Google, but I didn't see the option. The fix for my turntable was in this thread but I wanted some specifics and a repair for another problem. First problem is the switch to turn the motor on. I THINK it's sticking cause it works intermittently. I have the table apart and after playing around with the switch it spins again, but I doubt for long. Someone mentioned they sprayed wd-40 insome triangular opening to lube up this switch. Is that a good idea? I was going to put some vaseline on the plastic switch and move it in and out to try and lube it up. Also, my RCA cables have broken over the years of use (I know this cause when I wiggle them around at the back of my receiver, the sound cuts in and out). What would be your recommended repair? I noticed you can get to the ends inside the turntable, maybe get a new RCA cable with some tiny plugs and plug it right into the junction box where it joins the cartridge harness.... or cut the old ends and solder new ones to it. Any help would be great. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15285

http://www.dual-reference.com/index.html

There are also numerous threads on this forum dealing with the same generation of Dual tables. Most of them contain that same web address.

It's impossible to answer your switch question given that I have no memory of what the underside of this switch looks like. It sounds more like it should be replaced rather than a kludged repair. Personally, I would stay away from both WD-40 and Vaseline for an AC switch. If anything, stay with a very light oil such as 3-in-1 and then only a small drop. You'll need to remove the bottom of the plinth to answer your question about new cables. If I remember correctly, the cables are soldered to a small board on the underside of the plinth. Keep the new cables no longer than the stock cables and maintain a low capacitance cable for any phono circuit.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us