IMac-DAC

Bronze Member
Username: Pether

Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Post Number: 23
How do you think about this (computer-internal) DAC. I read that people find it sound flat, thin and more negative. I cannot agree with this. I recently use Airport-express (with analog output).
I tried a Cambridge DAC-magic but i was not surprised by a better sound, so i did not buy it. I have a really better than average sounding set. So has there been too quick judgement about this computer-DAC ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Mac with Airportexpress (analog)
Meridian 206B
Audio Innovations Classic 25
Epos ES 11
interlink: Van de Hul D 102 mk 2
Sp. cable: Terminator MIT 3

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3209
Nice system Peter. I would have to agree with the reviews on the internal DAC of the airport express. I am surprised the DAC Magic did not floor it. What connections were you using? USB? Optical? Coax?

If your planning on using Apple and going digital, I would recommend a much higher end DAC than even the DAC Magic for a system like yours. Just my opinion.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1638
Unless the AE has really been given a going over, the clock jitter is very high. IF the rest of the DAC circuitry of the AE is to that standard, it should rate a 'mediocre'.....
I also have difficulty believing the DacMagic didn't outperform the DAC section of the AE.
Nick:: The AE has 2 available connections. analogue, 3.5mm and using an adaptor, optical thru the same jack. The USB is for a 'network' printer, only.

I'm hoping the now-100$ Apple TV is better clocked. My AE will be on-sale soon......

Gold Member

Post Number: 3213
Optical through 3.5mm? Interesting Leo.

Leo, do you plan on upgrading to the Apple TV? Or would you go to another brand if it could adapt to i-tunes and/or play AAC files?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3214
Nice Leo. You planning on upgrading to the Apple TV? Would you look at extenders that will support I-Tunes and/or AAC file format as well?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1640
I would upgrade only if I could see measured clock jitter data. Jitter would have to be low.
Jitter is what's killing me now.....
The Apple TV would have the added advantage of being able to stream video, too. For this use, I'd like to check out a service like netflix. Being able to see new releases would be fun.
As far as I know, the 3.5mm has been optical / analogue for a while now. You need a cheesy adaptor to use regular toslink cable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3215
The basic streamers all do video/hd movies and netflix. I have an AC-Ryan right now that is probably the best extender I have used. I will keep you posted Leo. I wonder how the new Apple TV will stack up.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1641
I would HOPE the clocking is better than the AE. I would also add to my wish list......good 1080p output, easy integration with my computer....I have NO wireless router, but the AE in client mode is fine.
The USB should also be able to hook up to a HD. I would like to use the ATV as photo / movie and general backup.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4834
The Apple TV is limited to 44.1 kHz and 16 bit. It will accept higher resolution inputs in the approved formats, but does not even pass them through. So an external DAC gets only CD resolution from an Apple TV. This comment applies for sure to the original AT. I have not been able to find specs or comments on the new AT from late 2010. My guess is that is will be the same.

The analogue stereo output from an AT is at best equal to a modest CD player, whichever input you give it. AT is nice for movies.

A Squeezebox Touch, for example, does 24 bit and 96 kHz. It also accepts a wider range of formats (notably FLAC). I really can't tell any difference in sound quality between the Squeezebox Touch direct analogue output and the analogue output from a DAC Magic using Squeezebox Touch as its digital input. Both are high-res and really remarkable in my opinion. Much better that an Apple TV. You need a high-res digital source, of course.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Now my Audio Innovations tube-amp has been replaced with a Cayin A55T tube-amp. The change in sound is BIG. The sound i have now is very soft except for some pronounced s-sounds (sibilance). Ambiance is very big now and music sounds much more exciting.
Now i still haven't decided about the DAC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us