NAD T763 vs. NAD T762

Anonymous
I am soon to be in the market for a new receiver. Based on the numerous messages, I am looking at the NAD. I have a authorized dealer very close to me. I was prepared to go listen to the T762, but see that soon (maybe early December) the T763 will be released. Does anyone know what the differences will be between the two?

matthew dow
The only straight answer I've received is that they are adding Dolby PLIIx - something about additional rear speakers. Nothing I really care about.

I've heard as early as next week for release, but that was before I read about a possible December delay.

For what it's worth, I am demoing a T762 and a Rotel 1055 in my home for the next couple days. Trying to decide if the satellite channel popping is going to drive me insane or not.

Anonymous
I emailed NAD directly about the release date and they said "Early December". I have also asked them if they can give me a deltas list between 762 nad 763 - but no response as of yet.

I just wonder if the 763 will fix some of the bugs/complaints that have been written in this forum. Of course, then you have to wonder, what new bugs will exist with the 763

Hawk
Gentlemen:

I attempted to paste the link to the announcement made at CEDIA 2003 about the new NAD receivers here so that you could look at it yourselves, but I couldn't get it to come up, so I have cut and pasted the whole thing here for your benefit:

"NAD INTRODUCES FOUR NEW A/V RECEIVERS WITH IMPROVED PERFORMANCE AND FEATURES
For more info visit http://www.nadelectronics.com

The T 773, T 763, T 753 and T743 offer more power, upgradeability and connectivity options to ensure greater custom integration simplicity.

NAD, the highly regarded manufacturer of high-performance audio components, introduces four new A/V Receivers, the T 773, T 763, T 753 and T743 A/V Receivers during CEDIA 2003 in Indianapolis today.

Incorporating NAD's 'Music First' philosophy as the cornerstone to their ambitious design goals, three A/V receivers boast major improvements over current models with the incorporation of the exclusive PowerDrive amplifier technology and upgradability in two models as well as increased power and performance throughout the line.

Each model is a step up from previous models offering a significantly greater value. For instance, the T 743 offers many of the connectivity features only available in last year's T 752, which retailed for a much higher cost than the new T 743. The T 753 is significantly improved over its predecessor the T 752. It incorporates Zone 2 output allowing for independent source and volume control with the supplied ZR-1 remote. Additionally, the T 753 now features a sixth channel of amplification (6 x70W) making this the perfect solution for a self amplified DTS EX or Dolby Digital EX home theater system. This makes way for two entirely new products with the T 763 and T 773 offering more features and power than any other A/V receiver from NAD.

The new top-of-the-line model, the T 773 is the manufacturer's first A/V Receiver to include 7-channels of internal amplification, delivering our most powerful A/V Receiver to date. This new model provides 110wpc of continuous power with all seven (7) channels driven simultaneously at rated distortion into 4 or 8 ohms. The T 763 and T 753 are equipped with six channels of amplification for rated continuous power of 100wpc and 70 wpc, respectively. The T 743 is perfect solution for 5.1 systems delivering 50wpc (x5) where only a 5-channel home theater is desired.

The T 773, the T763 and T 753 offer the widest array of surround formats with Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS NEO:6 decoding along with 7.1 Matrix, Dolby ProLogic II and the proprietary NAD EARS circuitry for creating natural surround sound from any format input, 7.1, 6.1, 5.1 and 2.0 stereo, digital or analog. Also included is a 'Stereo Enhanced' mode that uses no processing, but allows the stereo signal to be sent to any or all of the selected 7.1 channels depending on listener preference. Of course, there is an analog bypass mode for stereo purists! Surround processing is automatically detected via the digital inputs, and the most appropriate decoding format is switched in. Conversion of the decoded digital bitstream is performed with high resolution and extremely linear D/A Converters carefully selected for their performance capabilities. The EARS (Enhanced Ambience Recovery System) circuitry uses DSP technology to extract the natural ambience in a stereo recording and redirect it to the surround channels, creating a warm natural reverberant effect without any artificiality.

The T 773 and T 763 are upgradeable via an RS-232 port and now offer that extra degree of "future proof" operation via software upgradeability. All models include a separate 7.1 analog input for analog multi-channel sources like DVD-Audio.

NAD has always been very conservative when quoting output power ratings, preferring to state the guaranteed minimum rather than the optimistic FTC power specs that is stated by most competitors. NAD chooses the far stricter and more conservative Full Disclosure Power rating, with all channels driven simultaneously, at any frequency 20Hz to 20kHz, with less than 0.08% THD at 8 and 4 ohms. Finally, in what we consider to be most representative of real world performance, we include Dynamic Power at 8 ohms, 4 ohms, and 2 ohms!

The exclusive NAD PowerDrive technology, incorporated in the T 773, T 763 and T 753, automatically adjusts the amplifier's power supply settings to meet the needs of the loudspeaker, resulting in e remarkably dynamic and distortion-free performance, even with demanding 4-ohm loads. Many less advanced receivers resort to performance robbing protection resistors to allow the use of 4-ohm speakers. With PowerDrive the performance is always optimized for the actual operating condition and as a result the amplifier exhibits very low distortion and good current drive in the real world.

All the new A/V Receivers are extremely flexible, providing a full suite of inputs and outputs to accommodate all the latest digital audio and video products.

T 773 and T 763:
6) Video Inputs, all with S-Video and Composite
3) Component Video Inputs
1) Component Video output
2) Video Tape Loops
6) Digital Inputs (4 Coaxial, 2 TOS Link )
2) Digital Outputs (1 Coaxial, 1 TOS Link).
3) Audio-only analog inputs plus a tape loop
1) 7.1 Analog Input (for DVD-Audio)
1) RS-232 port

T 753 and T 743:
6) Video Inputs, all with S-Video and Composite
2) Component Video Inputs
1) Component Video output
6) Digital Inputs (4 Coaxial, 2 TOS Link )
2) Digital Outputs ( 1 Coaxial, 1 TOS Link).
2) Audio-only analog inputs plus a tape loop
1) 7.1 Analog Input (for DVD-Audio)

Preamp outputs and main amp inputs, a long standing NAD feature, allow the addition of more powerful amplifier channels and/or the reconfiguring of amplifier channels. In the case of the T 763, T 753 and T 743 their internal amplifiers can be used for 6/5 channels of amplification and an additional amplifier can be added for the extra channel(s). There are two subwoofer outputs as well to support the most ambitious Home Theater setups.

With all four A/V Receivers, NAD has made it easy to add stereo speakers to an adjacent room for shared source music listening. A second pair of speakers can simply be added to the front channel amplifiers and switched on or off from the remote control or front panel switch.

Each model provides three 12-volt triggers to automatically switch remote zone amplifiers on and off. Custom friendly features like discrete On and Off codes, direct access to inputs and FM station presets facilitate their seamless integration into elaborate remote control systems.

The three 12V output triggers also allow for automatically switching remote zone components such as amplifiers, video projectors and screens (even lights) on and off. IR inputs and output make it easy to integrate with popular control systems like Aegis, Xantech and Niles. Discrete ON and OFF commands, and direct access to inputs and FM presets make it possible to integrate with popular remote keypad systems.

NAD took special measures to ensure that operation of all the new receivers was logical and straightforward. Initial system setup is accomplished using the simple On Screen Display (OSD) on any video monitor system. Five A/V Presets can be stored for instant recall with unique speaker configuration, level, distance, surround mode and tone control settings for instant recall. This allows a user to set up one type of playback for multi-channel music and a completely different setup for movie soundtracks. Channel level settings for Sub, Center, and Surround can be adjusted on the fly via the supplied HTR-2 Remote Control without entering any setup menus for maximum convenience.

The FM tuner includes 30 favorite station presets that can be custom named, or if the station supports the Radio Data System (RDS) an automatic stream of information about the station and music being played is displayed.

The HTR-2 Home Theater Remote can operate up to 8 different devices. The buttons feature illumination with adjustable time-out for easy operation in low light environments. Remote commands for products not already included in the HTR-2's memory can be easily learned by the HTR-2. Plus the HTR-2's Macro function allows up to sixty-four individual commands to be triggered by any of 36 assignable keys. Layout is logical and intuitive enough to operate most functions by tactile feel alone.

The T 773 and T763 will be available in late October at an MSRP of $1799 and $1399 respectively. The T 753 and T743 will be available in late November at an MSRP of $999 and $699 respectively. These A/V Receivers will be on display with NAD's other new products in Booth # 308 in the Indianapolis Convention Center during CEDIA EXPO 2003."

This should answer most of your questions.

On another note, I am informed the reason for the delay in releasing the new 763 is the addition of Dolby Pro-Logic IIx, which was released by Dolby Labs after these receivers were announced. NAD is looking into what is the best way to get this feature into the receivers--either chip replacement or use of the RS-232 port to flash the ROM.

Cheers!

Anonymous
I received a spec sheet from NAD today, but it is in .pdf format and I can't attach it. If anyone is interested in seeing it, just leave an email address and I will forward it on. However, Hawk has spelled out most of the details. By the way, NAD has been very responsive. Each time I have sent them an email, they have responded within 1 day.

Johnny
The 763 is now listed under the "products" section of the NAD website (www.nadelectronics.com). Hope this helps.

Matthew Dow
Does anyone bother to proof that text before they post it online...?

The major differences that I know of is redesign of the Heatsink Section, able to deliver more power plus can be upgraded via Software upgrades and not changing the Chip itself! The Later one should have been on the T762!

Anonymous
Anyone had the chance to test the new T763 yet?

Not yet .. should be coming in next week =)! been waiting for 3 months here. I almost went for a Rotel 1055, but decided to wait. Hope it was worth it.

Anonymous
michael-
where did you find out that "it [will] be coming next week". Is this a dealer telling you this info. I too am eager to listen and am trying to get an answer from NAD other than "Early December".

Joey
I have been debating what A/V receiver to buy for a number of months now. I recently went to a local NAD dealer to hear the T7x2 series, but he did not have any, they sold out. I was concerned about the reliability of this line and the sales rep indicated that he had sold over 100 NAD receivers during the last year and had not had any problems with any of them.

I was disappointed, of course, that he did not have any T7x2 or T7x3 receivers in shop. I asked when the T7x3 would be in and, frustratingly so, the sales rep said they should have been in weeks ago. Again, I was disappointed. I was able to listen to a number of NAD seperates, all of which sounded great. The sales rep indicated that the NAD receivers would sound virtually the same as the seperates.

I also asked him about the T7x3 series and he said it was his understanding that this line had major design changes in it from the T7x2 line. He did not specify what design changes he was aware of.

But having heard the NAD seperates and believing that the sales rep is a good judge of audio sound AND honest, I will be going with the NAD T763 receiver. Speakers will be ATC, not quite decided on which line.

But, the main purpose of this post is to tell everyone that the NAD T773 and T763 receivers are now arriving at dealers. The sales rep told me yesterday that he had several new T763s in his possession.

(I live in the DC area)

Has anyone compared the NAD762 and the Rotel RSX 1065?

I am trying to choose between the two at the moment and any adivce would be greatly welcomed.

Alan
I have compared the NAD 762 and the Rotel RSX 1055 (I'm sure the 1065 can't be that different) and thought the Rotel sounded better as far a soundstage/separation. The catch is that the Rotel cost $1100 (at my dealer) and the NAD 762 cost $899 (at Saturdayaudio.com). I ended up buying the NAD 752 for $650 which sounded exactly the same as the 762. So the Rotel does sound better to me, but only slightly. To me that difference could not justify an additional $450 and that's just for the RSX 1055. If you got the moolah though, go for it. The Rotels are great!

Michael
My T763 will be in Friday. I too listened to the Rotel 1055 ... I had a wonderfully warm full sound to it. Musically I would say it surpassed the NAD slightly. However, I felt that the NAD offered more features and also had a warmth to its performance. The Rotel is a beautiful piece and will not dissapoint. I think the NAD is comparable though and SLIGHTLY less costly. My T763 is going to run me $1200.

Both are excellent .. in the end it will be your ears. =)

Username: Norbert007

Post Number: 1
I have had the T763 for a week now. I have been a Sony ES fan for a long time but their new digital receivers did not excite me, hence the move to NAD.
Overall, it is a pretty good receiver, good sound with my Cabasse speakers and easy to set up. Power is not as impressive as I was led to believe through all the postings on NAD receivers.
However, the unit has some issues that I have communicated to both the vendor (I have a 30-day return policy) and NAD (done that today - waiting for answer). The problems are:

1 - The receiver is connected to a SONY digital DVD player through a digital cable and S-Video cable, an analog VCR with RCA connectors and an analog tape player through RCA as well.
I have assigned the DVD player to Digital 1.
When playing a DVD digitally encoded like Star Wars (Digital EX) everything works fine for 10-15 minutes, the receiver automatically detects and display the correct signal. After 10-15 mn, if I pause, move forward or back to another chapter of the DVD, the receiver kicks out of digital and does not re-detect the digital signal. I have to do it manually. This does not happen when the unit is first turned on for around 15 minutes.
2) The neo modes are not available in my new unit!
3) The video conversion from the analog VCR to the TV (S-Video) is awful - why even bother to provide the feature if it cannot be used. I have to run a separate cable from the VCR to the TV because the picture through the receiver is very snowy. I thought that NAD was focused on actual functionality/true capabilities rather than marketing but this feature seems to be purely a marketing point.
Hope NAD has some good answers for these issues.

Username: Jq3

I have been reading this BBS for about 2 weeks. I have concluded that there is no doubt that NAD sounds great, but they definitely have a quality control problem. Who cares how good it sounds if it's full of bugs! On this board NAD has some very well spoken supporters, but they ALWAYS seem to forget to point out the nagging problems they come with. I have read on more than one occasion people who purchased NAD receivers had to call the NAD techs to solve a problem(s) even they couldn't figure out. If it were me I'd just take it back and get another brand. I've had brand X for 8 years and it has just now started giving me trouble. It has always pleased me sound wise, but I won't say it sounds better than NAD because I haven't heard any NAD receiver. Also, I won't say what brand because the mere mention of this brand brings out the piranhas.

It is not my intention to bash NAD, but then again maybe I and others should with hopes they'll realize that there's more to a receiver than just sounding good...it has to work too!

Post Number: 2
Joe, I agree with your comments. People are too emotional when it comes to some material possessions and seems to lose their objectivity.
For my part, I had never experienced any issues in the past with the Sony ES line of receivers and it is puzzling that products that cost $1K+ do not have more rigorous test controls.
It seems as if customer satisfaction is really something of the past! even though companies and their employees end up paying dearly for it.
It is really a shame. I may consider other brands if NAD does not resolve the issues promptly, maybe Rotel 1055 or move to separates with Outlaw current deal!

Anonymous

Norbert-
I just got my 763 hooked up yesterday, and while I haven't tested everything out yet, everything I have tested works fine. as for the NEO:6 modes. I think your problem is operator error. Under the Advanced Options on the OSD, you need to select 7.1 rather than 5.1/2.0. Once doing this, you should see the two NEO:6 mode (Music and Movies). As far as the DVD playing, I haven't done so yet, and as far as S-Video hookup, I just go directly from my components to the TV as I figure the fewer the connections - the better the quality will be.

Post Number: 3
Thank you. I have figured out the NEO modes issue some time ago. However, NAD recommended that I exchange the unit as it is defective. I am waiting for my dealer to receive the new units he has ordered.
I purchased a brand new DVD player (SONY 5-disc SACD) in the process and I was still losing the digital signal everytime I switched CDs. We tried the same setup on the T762 and it worked fine! Also, the T763 worked fine when cold for about 10mn and the problem would start again.
I am disappointed by the quality control but errors happen and I will overlook this problem. What I cannot overlook is the fact that NAD does not even know for sure that the Dolby Pro Iix will be available for these units and if it is made available, it will require a chip change and therefore taking the unit to an authorized service center. This really upset me, the setup and weight of these receivers is not something you can do and undo easily. The upgrade should be available through SW. What is the point of providing that serial port if the consumer cannot use it?
Have a great Holiday Season and enjoy your new receiver!

Username: Johnny_g

Post Number: 5
Norbert/Ano,

are you sure T763 can do video upconversion, ie video conversion from composite to S-Video, even component? I got my 763 yesterday. I've tested composite video to S-Video last night, and it is awful indeed. in the manual they only mentioned 763 can "transcodes" S-Video to composite signals, but it didn't say anything about upconversion. can you please tell me where you saw the upconversion? i have to find out whether my one is defective or 763 can't do upconversion at all. have you got any reply from NAD in regard to this issue? even if upconversion wasn't one of the reasons I went with this unit, but if this unit is defective, i have to return it to the dealer. I only have 7-day return policy. the firmware version on my 763 is 1.24. is it the same one on yours? i'm just wondering if it is the latest one.

thanks.

Post Number: 4
Johnny,

Not sure how to check the firmware version. Can you tell me how and I will let you know. I have not received any response in regards to the video conversion from NAD. May want to try yourself as they may be getting tired of my requests.
I personally do not care for it but if they advertise it, it should work. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Anonymous

I have never seen anything about upconversion. While I understand that video switching can makes thing very easy, it can only degrade the video signal. Meaning the more conections you have, the worse the picture will look. I have always treated it a little differently. I have a MX500 remote that does a very good job with macros. So I simply let the remote change all of the sources, instead of having the receiver do this. Granted though, I do have more connections to my TV now.

Post Number: 6
thanks Norbert.

if you press and hold both video and audio buttons from 3 seconds, and then you will see the firmware version once you release those buttons.
I have found the cooling fans are a bit noisy. at the bottom of the unit, you can see 4 of them. they constantly run from the first second I turn on the unit. did you notice that on your machine? I wonder if it is normal with all brands receiver with cooling fans. I'm sure you have read this on NAD website,

"T763 ... Starting with a revised heat management system that reduces internal operating temperatures even under the most severe operating conditions, along with a new volume control circuit and input switching circuit to further reduce noise and distortion."

it appears NAD did some improvement on the noise and heat management. but as I've never own or sample a T762 and have no idea of the fan noise level on it. I just thought T763 was supposed to be very quiet and the cooling fan only ran once it got hot.

I haven't tried to contact NAD as I doubt I can get reply before 3 Jan (i have a 7-day policy).

Username: Robertgruber

I am reading all of these comments on the NAD T763. I looked at one today, but I am not familiar with too much of the AV lingo. I am about to buy my first suround sound system. I have had an NAD 2200 2 chanel power amp and 1130 pre-amp for 17 years without any problem, so I am naturally drawn to the brand. I want a receiver that will power my stereo and power 5 surround speakers plus a sub-woofer. I do not want to have to upgrade the receiver (or any thing else for that matter) for a long time. Is the t763 a good match for me? It is within the budget, but I don't like to spend more than I have to. I have read about some problems with the "S video" connections? Do I need to worry about that?

Post Number: 5
Johnny,

The ROM version is 1.24 like yours. The noise is perceptible but not bad. I think it is a bit louder than the T762 I listen to at my dealer. My unit sits in an audio furniture with glass door and it does not bother me. I sit 17 feet from it and that may be why it does not bother me. My dealer called me yesterday, they should have the new units this week and will swap my defective unit as soon as they receive them. NAD acknowledge that it was defective as the digital signal should remain live at all times!

Robert,
there is no problem that I know of with the S-Video output. The unit is a good match for you.

Post Number: 7
thanks Norbert.
my unit just sits on top of a furniture, and no glass door in front of it. I sit 3 metres away and I agree the noise is not bad. I just thought the fan should not start until the unit really needed it. last night, I left the unit running for 3 hours at medium volume (-25db). I don't think the fan increased its speed or the noise got louder, and actually the unit wasn't hot at all after 3 hours running.
Robert, if you don't care the composite to S-Video upconversion, this unit would be a perfect match for you.

Post Number: 6
Robert,
The fans do seem to work all the time now that I have paid more attention to it. It is not bad and the unit stay pretty cool, which is a plus in an enclosure.

Overall, it is a good unit. The video upconversion is just another marketing scheme. Better off using separate video cables from each devices, which I personally prefer.

Have a great New Year!
Norbert

Anonymous

I have v1.24 as well. Is the most current version? If not will/should my dealer upgrade it for me?

My unit ocassionally shuts off. I suspect I have some dirty power in my house, I am looking into that and getting a monster HTS power center.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us