Sony STR-DE635 left front speaker is not working, please help

Username: Sraymond

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony STR-DE635 receiver. It used to work fine and then I had to put it in storage for a couple of years and just took it out to hook it up. I made all the connections and everything is working great except the left front speaker does not have any sound coming out of it.

I've tried several things. Thinking it may be the speaker I switched the left front with the right front and still no sound out of the left front when a different speaker is hooked up. Thinking it was the connections of the speaker wires I checked all those, even tried a different speaker wire.

Then I realized that this receiver has both A & B speaker options so I hooked up the front speakers to the B option and flipped the switch in the front to B and still no sound from the left speaker.

Also thinking that maybe a setting got changed somewhere, I reset the whole system by pushing the power button in for 5 seconds. Still nothing.

What could it be?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15217

It's impossible to diagnose this over a forum, there are several potential reasons for your problem. The most likely is the storage which could have allowed a capacitor to dry out. Another likely suspect is the way Sony builds their line of mass market receivers. They just are not what anyone considers a reliable product. If you are certain you've made clean connections at all points, then there's little to do on your part other than send the unit into the shop for repairs. Ask for an estimate of repair costs before you agree to any work being done. You may want to just write off the Sony and move on.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 927
You can get a refurbished Denon for $99 - might sound better than your Sony :

http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-440939-10273764?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp=42301717&navid=155441519

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15404
The A and B outputs are the same (just a 2nd set of posts) so that wont matter. Have you tried headphones? Are you listening in stereo?

Username: Sraymond

Post Number: 2
I have not tried headphones, I can try that later today. I am listening in stereo, listening with normal surround and all 5 speaker lights on the display are lit up meaning they are in use.

I don't really want to buy a new system now, don't have the funds for that. I was hoping that there were some things I could try if I opened up the receiver. I have nothing to lose, I do have another receiver in storage (used to have one set up in the living room and one in a bedroom but moved and had to put them in storage and now I only have room for one) but I like this receiver's sound better than the other one I have.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15220

I have nothing to lose."

Unfortunately, if you have no idea where to stick your hands and where not to, you have everthing to loose. Look, you're not the firt guy to come to this forum thinking they can fix something when they have no knowledge of electronics. All you need is for us to tell you exactly which piece to change out. We can't do that.

You're getting the same advice we've provide those dozens of others in your situation. There should be a sticker on your Sony that reads something on the order of "Keep your hands out of this receiver". There's a reason for that warning - there are lethal voltages inside the open chassis of a receiver and they are looking for a simple path to your heart. Keep your hands out of the receiver even when it's unplugged and not powered up. It can kill you as voltages linger for quite sometime in the power supply and touching the wrong thing will send those voltages through your body. Surely a few dollars spent on a repair or a sceond hand receiver is worth the cost when you weigh what you have to loose if you ignore this warning.

Username: Perttiv

HelsinkiSuomi

Post Number: 1
I had the same problem so the left channel of A speaker didn't work. Pin 1 on the main board connector CNP602 had poor soldering.
It can be easily accessed by removing the base plate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us