Call for Help from the Middle East, Hawk n others please give tips

Sanjai Vaswani
Hi I live in Abu Dhabi where we dont have many outlets selling speakers the only one we have is BOSE and Harmon House (a small corner in a big store).

I have a Yamaha Rx-v620 and I am looking for speakers for it. I used Bose AM6 for a while but recently sold them, Please advise what do i go for. There are distributors here who would sell Paradigm, Definitve, Mission & Jamo. but I would have to choose from a catalogue with no audiotions and cant return, same goes for JBL.
Bose however gives auditions.

I was thinking of going for JBL Northridge E80 for my Mains, EC25 for my centre, and Bose 201 for my surround. Please advise how this combination be.

John A.
Sanjal,

If you have to buy blind, I think Paradigm and Mission would be much better than Bose.

There seems to be a dealer in Dubai with a list of high quality product names:-
http://www.dubaiaudio.com/

If it is feasible to go there (~100 miles?) you could get a demo, and you should be able see and hear many of the speakers discussed on this forum.

John A.
Sorry, Sanjai, that was a typo!

Sanjai
Thanks! John, Called dubaiaudio and will go and see them on my next off.

They said for my house a KEF-Coda90 would suit the best, what do you think about it pls lemme know.

Choices are.

1. JBL Northridge E80 (1660 dhs)
OR
2. KEF Coda 90 (1440 dhs)
OR
3. Bose 601 (1990 dhs)

John A.
Sanjai,

Personally I would go with 2, but it is not entirely rational. I am a long-term KEF fan. I have seven KEF speakers. The first I bought in 1980 and they are still the best around. I later bought some early model Codas which I now use for surrounds, they are excellent, and seem like they will last forever. KEF is what I use and it will take a lot to change my mind, so I am afraid you won't get any more sense from me, - there would be no choice to make!

The Coda 90s spec looks great on the KEF web site, a real, full-range, floor-standing speaker and very attractive finish. The bass extension is impressive, you will hardly need a subwoofer. I am not sure whether you are buying for stereo or a complete set for Home Theatre. It does not make a difference, a good speaker is a good speaker, but if you need five instead of two then it makes a difference to the price, and Coda 70s would probably make good surrounds with Coda 80 for the centre. Coda 90s are quite efficient, too, and should give real volume with your Yamaha. Some people claim the Yamaha has a bright or brittle sound but I cannot comment from my own experience.

Glad I could help with the dealer. I learned some geography while looking that up. Dubai seems like a smaller city so I was surprised it seemed to have more to offer as regards audio.

Sanjai
John,

Firstly thanks for the suggestion on KEF's. I just bought a pair of 90s and a 80 and have installed them this morning. They are Great.

Dubaiaudio the dealer you mentioned had a special offer going for the speakers and I got the last couple left and that too for an excellent price. Things couldnt have been better These speakers (in my opinion) certainly sound better than the others I had shortlisted.

KEF rules ! and Thanks.

HELLO .
I AM A BIG FN OF BOSE SISTEMS .
I THINK A BOSE LIFESTILE 10 SERIES 3 WILL DO THE TRICK FOR YOU . CAN U FIND THIS IN ABU DHABI ?
IF SO PLEASE TELL ME WHERE CAUSE I AM INTERESTED
TO SEE HOW MUCH DOES IT COST .I BOUGHT IT FOR 2000 USD SOME YEARS AGO .
BYE AND THANKS.

John A.
Sanjai,

I have just caught up with this thread. Thanks for posting back. I am really pleased you have speakers you like. You made a good decision. KEF may, today, have a some equals, but nothing, anywhere, leaves them behind. They are first-division speakers.

Andrej,

Your post brought this thread to near the top of the pile. Thanks. Sanjai said Dubai Audio supply Bose, too. Bose should also be able to tell you about dealers and distributors. I do think KEF is generally in a different league to Bose, but I cannot comment from experience of recent models. Seems you could make the comparison in the shop Sanjai went to.

John A.
BTW see related link

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/6641.html

It was B&W I had in mind for "some equals".

I agree with views expressed there. Try Bose if you will, Andrei, but it seems like a long shot, from many posts on this forum. Personally, I would not take a day's drive to audition them.

sanjai, just curious, what about the surrounds, did you try coda 70s ? It would be great if you can tell somehting about the sound coda 90s give out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us