PMC TB2I and 80's pop/metal

Username: Multiham

Post Number: 1
Trying to set-up a demo on the PMC TB2I speakers. Would be powering them with Pioneer SC-27 Elite receiver. My questions is does anyone have experience with these speakers and pop/metal music? Would be feeding it itunes through Apple TV. Need something that rocks! Music would range from Lady Gaga to Ozzy. Definitely not the best recorded albums!

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3961
Are you going through a DAC or the analog outputs on the Apple TV? What codec is the music - Apple Lossless, mp3, etc? Is it all iTunes bought music, or your CDs ripped?

PMCs aren't too hard to drive, electrically speaking. They are very revealing of what's in front of them and what they're fed.

No one can tell you if they'll be worth it or not, or how good or bad they'll sound. The Pioneer should smooth things over a bit.

The best bet is if you could try them in your home. If not, can you bring your Apple TV at least to the dealer and listen through that?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 762
I've been able to try the TB2i twice. You are setting up a demo which is the best thing, because what we think may not be what you end up thinking. I listen to lots of rock too, and I love the TB2i. It's on my list of speakers to potentially buy, but to be honest I am leaning towards floorstanders now and to get PMC floorstanders is just way too expensive. Used would be the way I'd have to go - but if I wanted a bookshelf model, and I still might, the TB2i would be at the top of my list.

Nevertheless, the TB2i IMO has big open sounding mids, great clarity and transparency, the transmission line produces deep and tight bass, and the highs are smooth and non-fatiguing. The older metal tweeter may have been harsher, the new one is really sweet.

Post Number: 4
Feeding the Apple TV into the Pioneer via HDMI. All of my Itunes files are in Apple Lossless.

Happy to hear that its at least worth a trip to check out the TB2I's. I have a demo set for next Saturday. So far I've listened to Totem Rainmakers (Loved them), Paradigm S1 (were okay and I usually love Paragigm)

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3963
I wouldn't power the Paradigms with a receiver. The Totems and PMCs are excellent speakers.

To get the most out of them, you may want to think about getting an integrated amp to replace the AVR. Better sound for the money.

2 channel integrated amps won't do all the surround sound tricks, but you'd be amazed by how good a quality 2 channel setup can do with movies.

If you're constantly watching Star Wars type movies, then 2 channel won't get the job done. If your watching sitcoms, comedies, dramas, and sports, the extra channels don't really mean that much IMO.

I'd have gone the surround route a while back had it not been for a good dealer.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3964
Set up right, 2 good speakers will put everything on the screen where it's supposed to be - on screen stuff sounds come from where they should be coming from, and off screen sounds do to.

I'm not saying ditch the AVR right now, but maybe the next upgrade?

Post Number: 5
Just did a major upgrade. Replaced the SC-27 in my HT with Classe gear. Now trying to get some music into another room. This is just going to be 2 channel.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3965
What will power the PMCs? The Pioneer, Classe, or something else?

Just looked up the Pioneer. Seems lie a very cool receiver.

Post Number: 6
It will be the Pioneer. The Classe is in my TV room in the basement. This is where I watch all my movies and also listen to my music. Have another room where my kids like to play and have their friends over. I also spend a good deal of time in this room as we've got xbox and some other games in here. This is where the new speakers will go powered by the Pioneer. Music in this room will be relatively loud and will range across all Pop/Rock. When the kids are in control, it will be the hottest stuff from today (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga). When I'm in control, it will be some serious cheesy music from the 1980's! That's why I'm trying to understand if it is worth my time to listen to PMC's. The dealer is a good distance from me and don't want to walk in and instantly know that these speakers aren't even in the consideration set. Heard they are excellent, but they are unforgiving to badly recorder music.

The Classe gear I have in my HT is tremendous. In my opinion, it leaves nothing to be desired. Great match with the B&W speakers I have.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3167
Yeah that Pioneer is pretty nice. Like most of the guys here I will not tell you that a good two channel system replaces a good surround sound system when it comes to watching movies. However, Stu is right IMO on that sitcoms, sports and such sound easily as good, if not better on a good two channel system. Watching Iron Man on Blu Ray? Not so much.lol. Depends on what your watching. I think you are doing the right thing Steve, by separating your systems. You said you are setting up a system that will strictly be two channel. Perfect. Now you have the best of both worlds.

Stu is also right in saying an integrated amp will ALWAYS get your much better sound compared to a similar priced AVR. Surround sound is much different. Two channel audio needs a two channel amp IMO. Those are some hefty speakers you are auditioning. I feel all of them will not benefit fully from any AVR.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3168
Sorry crossed posts. YOUR PUTTING PMC's IN THE PLAY ROOM!? lol Can you adopt me DAD? lol wow.

I still feel the Pioneer AVR doesn't deserve to be powering the speakers you have auditioned. No point in spending the money if your not going to get the best from them. Unless you plan on upgrading the AVR to something better in which that case I can draw up some adoption papers tonight.LOL!!

Post Number: 7
Nick:

Feel free to send the adoption paperwork over although I think you will be disappointed!

Saved my money for 10 years to upgrade my HT system. Did not do a great job upfront and bought the Pioneer SC-27 for my new HT system. After using it for awhile, I was slightly disappointed as I did not believe I was getting the most from my speakers. I listened to a bunch of amps and decided on a Classe based system. Picked up some demo's at a great price!

Now I have a less than 1 year old Pioneer Elite SC-27 and a nice game room that has no music. Want to use this SC-27 to power a system. Have been reading about best bookshelf speakers for $1,500 and under. Some of my choices I would buy used to get into this price range. On my list was Totem, Paradigm, Focal and PMC. Have listened to the Totem Rainmaker (loved it), Paradigm S1 and S2 (disappointed thought I would love), Focal (okay). Have never heard a PMC speaker and have read good things about the DB1 and TB2.

Think you'd be surprised on what the SC-27 can drive. I heard them on Paradigm Studio 100's and also on BW 805's and they both sounded good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3172
You didnt like the S2's? I love them. What did you hear them on?

Anyway, I love PMC speakers. They are a very energetic speaker but do so without being harsh, or overly hard to match up with an amplifier IMO. Amazing speaker. Would sound good on the AVR, can sound absolutely stunning on a proper amp like your wonderful Classe gear.

Post Number: 8
Everything was being driven by Bryston 3BSST. Not sure what model Bryston preamp was used.

I was surprised I didn't like the S2. The speakers I replaced after 10 years were Paradigm Studio 40's. Always loved Paradigm sound and thought I would be blown away by the Signature line. Sounded extremely harsh to me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3176
Very interesting Steve.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4214
I felt that way about the Studio line Steve - I had Studio 20's for a couple of years and they were rather bright and harsh to me. Keeping the grill on tamed the high end a bit.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 766
I've read about the Paradigm Studio 20 and lots of people seem to feel they sound bright. Of course, they recommend you leave the grill on which combats this characteristic. They should look into that, I think most people prefer to listen to speakers with grills off, especially when the drivers looks as sweet as they do on the Studio line. It's like Paradigm spent time coming up with a cool looking design for the front of their speakers and then they tell you they recommend leaving the grill on.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4215
It makes no sense, actually. I loved the look of the them naked, bit the shrill metal tweeter was painful.

Bronze Member
Username: Betamax

Canada

Post Number: 95
I have a pair of TB2i's and they can handle just about anything thrown at them. I definitely listen to my share of late 70's / early 80s music, though I like to think it as the 'less cheezy' variety.

The base is very good though not as deep as PMC floorstanders. The TB2i tweeter is the same as the higher models, though, so you get the same mid & upper goodness at half the price of the FB1. They're very neutral and detailed without being bright. If you like B&W, you'll probably like PMC.

The Pioneer is a nice receiver, but it doesn't seem like it would quite do the speakers justice. Then again, you already have it, so I understand why you'd use it. If you buy the PMCs, hook them up to your Classe gear at least once just to see what they're capable of.

I think it'd be hard to find a mint pair of TB2i's for $1,500, but if you can then great. They're definitely worth a listen.

Post Number: 9
Finally had a chance to listen to PMC's today. Listened to the TB2i, the GB1i, and the FB1i. Loved all of them. They were being driven by Bel Canto gear. Opportunity to get the TB2i in my price range if I'm willing to take the demo units. I am going to go back and bring my Pioneer SC-27 with me to demo.

Here is my question (and weakness!). Everyone who responded above said that I needed to have a better amp with PMC. What amps would you reco for the TB2i? As mentioned, my musical tastes run towards 80's music. My demo cd had Queen, AC/DC, Tom Petty, Elvis Costello, The Clash, Missing Persons, Pet Shop Boys. Think you get the picture.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15366
You don't 'need' better power than you have, Steve, we just recommend this type of thing to maximize what the speaker excels at.
Your pioneer will be fine until you want to change out the power.
I would strongly suggest keeping the receiver that you know right now.
As you get a feeling for the speakers, then it is time to look at your room layout and treatment, along with the speaker placement exercises that you will need to do.

This is 'inglorious' part of your new endeavor, but the only way to realize what you have. In a well thought-out room, man, everything sounds 5 times better!

Read up dude, and get the room in order. This will take time, but few$ if done reasonably. Make your assessments after that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us