Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15331
Nice!
Whoop!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3160
wholly crap. You werent kidding when you said you bought a new tube amp. Boom!

Hows it sounding?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4192
Oh man! All the reviews I read about this amp were bang on Nick. It doesn't sound like any tube amp I've ever heard, in fact, it sounds almost like the best solid state amp I've ever heard. Attack like a Marshall stack, and the musicality of it is insane. I was cranking some Maiden this 'aft and I couldn't help smiling and tapping my feet. And it goes LOUD man - like louder than my 840A at 120 watts. I was using a sub before when I was using the 840A in the listening room, but now I don't need it. Crazy....

It's actually quite a bit smaller looking in real life than all the photos convey, and it's relatively light - only 30 lbs.

It came retro-fitted with all JJ's except for one odd-man out EL-84. I dropped in some extra JAN-Phillips (my favourite so far) 12AT7 input tubes this aft I had kicking around, but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Anyone have any recommendations of their favourite EL-84 tubes? Jan? Mike?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4193
Oh yeah, I showed it one of my buddies (non-audio gear head type) and he said "Jesus Christ, it looks like a nuclear reactor", lol.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3954
So I take it the Stingray is right up your alley?

Is that the newer version (not the Stingray 2) with the ultra linear/triode switch and subwoofer out?

I'm very envious, Dave.

As Col. Hannibal from the A-Team used to say...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3955
For tubes, check out Manley. They usually have a large supply that they sell to their customers. It would be interesting to see what they're currently using.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4194
Stu, this is an older one - the run from 1998 to 2005. It does have the UL/triode switching, but no sub out, and no remote. I was a little hesitant about the no remote thing, but back when I had my BP-20 (with no remote) it sounded so good, the trade-off was fine. Life is all about trade-offs, right Nuck?

Anyway, I got for a price well below what most are going for and I'm very happy with it.

I checked out the Manley tube store awhile back, but I can't remember what tubes they're using for 84's. I do know that the 6414 splitter tubes are getting pretty rare, but there's other options.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3956
The remote wasn't added until the Stingray 2, which came out sometime this year. I don't think the sub out is any big deal - a lot of other ways to connect one if needed.

The UL/triode switch is important, from what I've read. Not 2 completely different sounding amps, but definitely different. Can't remember which I liked better. Both settings sound excellent though.

Not that pics tell the whole story, but it looks practically brand new to me. Glad you didn't get that awful gold plated face plate.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4195
I agree Stu. Thankfully Manley buried the gold-plated edition after a short run. To me, the non sub-out is no biggie. I don't feel the need to run a sub at all. It does have the UL/Triode switching. So far I've only listened to it in UL mode.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3161
BOING!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4196
Indeed :-)

BOIIIIING!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3957
I was waiting for that. You're slipping a bit, Nick. It took you 2 posts to get there. I guess none of us are getting any younger!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4197
Nick is understandably sleep-deprived.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3162
LOL this week yes. Vacation is over. booo.

But my three month old sleeps through the night now. Double BOING!

I am getting old, slow...and slow. haha.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13056
How did I miss this one...!

That's quite Manley...pun intended.

How does it sound, I'm anxious to know.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13057
You addressed the sound some already I see. Now you're a hair shirt audio geek without a remote...welcome to the club!

Gold Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 1019
Awesome David. I'm glad you like it. As for the EL-84's, my favorite's (of the few I've tried) are some NOS Sylvannia's. Much better than the Harma's, new Mullards, and JJ's that I had tried previously.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4199
Thanks for the info Chris.

I spent a few hours last night listening to it some more. To me, it sounds even better with the JAN-Phillips input tubes over the previous JJ's.

I'm not really missing the remote that much.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4200
And I think I'm gonna rid of the sub too.

(Yaaaah says Nuck)

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 212
nice David, I am almost ashamed to post picture of MA6600

Pablo

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15337
The Stingray is sure not bass-shy that I have ever heard.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4204
Let's see the 6600 Pablo!

Hey guys, how important is it for the bias to bang on? The EL84's are supposed to be biased at 250, but I checked this morning and they are all between 225 and 275.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15340
well, even is best. too low or uneven removes some dynamics and creates biased seperation(and stage), too high is heat and longevity. +- 10% is pedestrian, +- 3% is neurotic.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4206
+-3% it is then!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15342
Sold to the man on prescription lithium!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4207
haha

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15350
Wearing the big yellow hat.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1183
Okay, I go away on vacation for a few days and POW!

Man Dave - if it sounds as good as it look - which is what it seems, hats off to you on the new gear!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15352
Isn't the Stingray just that wovewy?
classic design.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4209
Thanks George. Still getting used to it, but so far I love it. All the reviews we've read on this amp are true. Only tried it so far in U/L mode. Still have to play around with it some more.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1504
What a neat design. Could you please post a reasonably close pic of the backside?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4211
Sure Leo.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3966
What kind of place is this?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4212
Haha.

I'll make sure it's done tastefully.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 190
Nice looking rig David
You sound just a bit pleased
Great that it worked out toe tappin
Congrats

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4216
Thanks Bryan. I'm expecting a new shipment of EL84's today. There's a mis-matched no name one currently on the amp, and one of the other JJ's has lost most of it's silver coating on the inside, so I wonder if it may have lost it's vacuum.

I'll take some pics of the rear-end for Leo once the new tubes are in.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3967
There's a great pic of Katy Perry on the cover of Rolling Stone, and one on Esquire. Tastefully done.

Try as you may, I don't think the Stingray will be as tasteful. Just can't compete with that.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4218
Well today I dressed the Stingray up with Gold Lions.... it looks almost as good.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4235
Backside pic, for Leo.

Upload

Gold Member

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4031
Almost 2 full months later...

How's it treating you? Honeymoon over, or is it just as good as the day you fell in love?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13296
I'm curious as well.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1117
I just want to see its backside again after 2 months.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15436
All things being normal, Dacks, it usually takes about 3 years after the marriage for the backside to double in size...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4316
I actually had some issues with the Stingray awhile back, I was getting some distortion in the right channel. I took it to a tech here in Ottawa who comes highly recommended. I don't know what he did, but when I got the amp back I was absolutely stunned by how good it sounded. I was actually kicking around the idea at one point of selling it but I've decided to hang on to it now. It just sounds that good.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15332

You might want to ask the tech what he did. It's possible he performed some basic housekeeping; cleaning connections, biasing output tubes, etc. that you should learn to do on at least an annual schedule. Tubes will, IMO, show their appreciation for that sort of attention more than most solid state products will. That transistors do not require the user to check bias or clean tube pins was a selling point for solid state back in the 1950-60's - just set it on your shelf and forget it was a common sales tool. However, with their higher circuit impedances and voltages, overall simpler signal path and greater linearity, tubes reward the fastidious listener - as long as you don't overdo your fastidiousness and turn it into an@l-retentive, obssessive compulsive behavior.

I think the Stingray is destined to become one of those products that twenty years from now has a growing cult reputation for good sound.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4319
Apparently the distortion issue was being caused by one of the input switches being loose. He did mention that he biased the tubes for me, other than that I'm really not too sure what else he did. It would actually be good to know. It was definitely worth the 130 bucks he charged me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us