HK AVR 7200 or NAD T762?

Anonymous
Hello all,

I just wanted some opnions on which of these two any of you would recommend? I have an Axiom setup. I have heard the HK 525 with my setup and found it to sound great. Now after reading these forums, NAD receivers have peaked my interest as well. Any opinions are welcome.

Hawk, I would really like to get your opinion on this as well if you have some spare time on your hands.

Thanks.

Anonymous
I would also like to add that the receiver will be mostly used for movie viewing and sound quality is my major concern with features being a secondary concern.

Thanks again.

Hawk
Anon:

I think your priorities are in order. If you can't expect good sound quality from your receiver, it isn't much good IMO.

Both of these receivers are very good--superb, in fact. I prefer the sound quality of the NAD, but the H/K 7200 is also a very good receiver. Both have excellent sound quality. However, they have different sounds. The H/K is more relaxed and "laid back sounding" while the NAD's sound is a little more forward. I do not believe that either charecteristic is inherently better than the other, it is just a matter of taste.

Your choice in speakers can be critical here. What speakers would your receiver be driving?

Anonymous
Hello Hawk,

I was hoping I would get your opinion on this. I will be driving Axiom speakers with the receiver. I know these speakers are on the bright side of the spectrum. I have heard the AVR 525 with my setup and loved the sound.

After reading these forums for a while and seeing your praise for the NADs, I am now wondering if the NAD would sound better with my speakers. It's a tough decision.

BTW, thanks for the help.

Hawk
Anon:

No, with the Axioms, I think the H/K is a better match. The NAD is not a bright sounding receiver, but the laid back nature of the H/Ks are a better match with the forward sounding Axioms, which can be a bit bright (depending upon the model). H/K and Axiom is a good, balanced system and since you have already heard them together, you know what I mean.

Cheers!

Anonymous
Thanks for the help Hawk, I appreciate it very much.

rambo
Hawk
If I have a Paradigm Refernce Studio 60/20/cc450 5.1 setup(velodyne sub) and i had $600 to $800 for a receiver (to replace a 1997 H/k avr80, i believe)what would you recommend?

Hawk
rambo:

Nice speakers! I spent some time last week listening to the new Studios, Version 3 from Paradigm and I think they are very nice.

For your price range, I would recommend the NAD T 752, available for $699. It has the cleanest signal and the greatest clarity so that you can get everything out of your Paradigms, which are extraordinarily accurate. The Paradigms are a bit laid back, so they will benefit from the more forward sound of the NAD over your older H/K. Would make for a killer system.

G-Man
I have posted this a couple of times with the last 3 days--It could be some of you have read this already (or not), but it is short and lets you know what the Axiom Expert thinks after I sent him an e-mail.

Hello Greg,

The H/K AVR525 will drive the M80tis with ease. In fact, H/K and Denon are the only receiver brands that I recommend for the 4-ohm M80s (other brands either shut down, overheat and shut down, or limit current output severely into 4-0hm loads).

I use the H/K AVR525 and it drives my M80s and M22ti's with no problem. Ignore the warning on the back (Use 8-ohm Speakers). The H/K amps are stable and robust into lower impedances.

Thanks for your interest in Axiom!

Cordially,

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

rambo
hawk/others
how about me getting a marantz 7300 (1 yr demo unit for $550) or an 7300ose for $809?

i'm a little concerned of the software glitches/firmware issues on an otherwise impeccable NAD platform, plus i can't find a NAD dealer in my area.

by the way just to clarify, my Paradigm Reference set up is probably version 1 as I bought them in 1997-98 time frame. Any comments on the difference between this and the current version of speakers?
thx, rambo

Anonymous
Hawk
Friday, November 07, 2003 - 03:29 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rambo:

Nice speakers! I spent some time last week listening to the new Studios, Version 3 from Paradigm and I think they are very nice.

For your price range, I would recommend the NAD T 752, available for $699. It has the cleanest signal and the greatest clarity so that you can get everything out of your Paradigms, which are extraordinarily accurate. The Paradigms are a bit laid back, so they will benefit from the more forward sound of the NAD over your older H/K. Would make for a killer system.

Hawk,

You think the NAD is too foward for the Monitor Audio B2's? I've never heard you say that the NAD's were foward sounding.

Hawk
rambo:

Those are good prices on the Marantz models and I would not hesitate to recommend that you pull the trigger on one of those models. They are very nice receivers and if you have more confidence in them, then go for it.

I do think the newer Paradigm Studios are a bit clearer and more focused, but the Paradigm Studios have always been a very fine speaker. The differences are really only heard when comparing them side by side. Your older models are still better than 98% of the speakers out there, at least.

Anon:

No, I don't think the NAD is too forward sounding for the MA B2s. Remember, I was just comparing the NAD receiver with a Marantz, and in that context, an NAD is a little more forward sounding than the Marantz.

rambo
If we reverse the question-which receiver is best for first version paradigm refernce studios,which would be proposed-still NAD? What else?

Hawk
Yes, NAD is still the best match, sonically. The differences between the first version and the third version of the Paradigm Studios is rather small.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us