Anyone DJ Here??

Username: Itsamemario

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.

I am thinking about DJing on the side just to make some extra money. I have never done this before but I don't think I need to be a rocket scientist to do this. I will be catering only to events for family and friends (maybe go outside later).

I will not be using turntables as i don't have a need for them. Instead i wish to use my Laptop (macbook). I have other laptops as a means for backup just incase something goes wrong with the initial setup.

OK - now I am looking for equipment. Everyone here seems extremely knowledgeable and I'm sure you will be able to help me in some way. I don't have any equipment chosen out yet. I'm assuming all I need is an amp, speakers, wiring, stand, lighting, etc. However, I am not sure if i need a mixer or any other component as the laptop will have software which will take care of all the mixing and cueing for me. I believe i will also purchase a CD player also to act as a backup.

I don't have an exact budget as I don't know how much everything 'should' total out to. I have done a lot of research and have seen people recommend JBL and some other speakers starting from $499 a piece to $999 a piece. Is that something with crappy quality or will this budget get me something great? The CD player can be around $200. I don't know about the amp but i am open to all suggestions.

If i had to have a budget - i would guess around $2500? Seems fair? Too low?

I appreciate all for your assistance. Also, if i am posting in the wrong place, please do direct me to the proper section. Thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3933
The powered JBLs seem to be pretty popular. A friend of the family got into DJing for a while, but not much came of it. I think he had too much other stuff going on.

He liked the speakers, and they made everything more convenient. No external amp to deal with.

Even if your computer will mix, control volume, EQ, etc. you'll probably still need some sort of mixer or pre-amp. I say this because what will your mic connect to? You'll most likely need to speak. If there's a program for your computer, that'll do that then I guess you may not need a mixer.

Instead of a CD player, what if you get a cuple external hard drives to back up your music? One fails, plug the next one in. There's only so much music a CD will hold, even in mp3 format. I'd also get a cheap laptop as a back up too. One of those small mini laptops for about $200 can serve as a backup if the main laptop goes down during a gig.

One of the worst things that could happen is a computer or hard drive crash in the middle of an event. There'd probably be a bunch of drunken idiots who'll get out of hand if that happens. Having a backup for everything small and essential is probably the best way to go.

Just a few thoughts. Again, I've never DJed, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Post Number: 2
thanks a lot Stu Pitt. I did a little more reading and I got a better picture of what needs to be purchased. I need a mixer for sure so i found a nice Denon one for aroud 300 to 400 bucks. I will also be getting a controller from Denon which will work with the mixer and my laptop, It will also control what songs i play and all directly from the controller which will eliminate the use of the keyboard and mouse. For this i found the Denon HC 4500. So a mixer and controller is about 1000. Now i need an amplifier and some great speakers. Or is it better to get powered speakers? Thank you all again

Post Number: 3
does this seem like a good deal?

http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx/PID=SP4000

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3934
I'd go with powered speakers, but that's just me. Less stuff to carry around. No worrying about matching an amp. The powered JBLs ate popular and get good reviews for a reason. Pro audio is really JBL's forte IMO.

Just make sure your mixer has outputs that match powered speakers' inputs. Probably XLR.

Post Number: 4
do you have any specific suggestions for which JBLs i should go with?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3935
I don't know model numbers and I haven't owned any of them, so I can't say which is better. The ones I see most often are the grey plastic cased ones with the amps built in, and they sit on a tripod like stand. My buddy had them and liked them. Haven't talked to him in a while, but if I can get a hold of him, I'll ask.

Another friend who teaches PE and coaches basketball uses a Fender amplfied speaker. It has a grey plastic shell and multiple drivers in it. He uses it during classes and basketball games. It does a good job of filling the gym with good sounding music. He uses a matching mixing board and a CD player with it.

I have no idea about prices, where to buy, reliability, etc.

Maybe find a DJ forum for more advice?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us