Pioneer Elite SC25

Username: Kaspermerlin

Post Number: 1
any thoughts on this receiver? im thinking of buying it from someone on videogon for $800.00. 140 watts x 7 sounds good but not sure if its the right move.Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3154
That AVR would be lucky if it hit half of 140 watts when powering all 7 channels. However, I just installed a similar model for my brother in Law and it had nice/fun features, great HDMI switching and was easy to use. Sounds ok too.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15326
Very lucky.
But, as we know, the content of DVD or BD make big power a little less necessary, especially when powered subs are in play.
Some folks have found Pioneer stuff to be a bit bright at times, or so I hear.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1488
The chance of NEEDING 140x7 at one time are ZERO. Also, the power transformer alone would weigh what the receiver does. You're talkin'900 watts, here.
It is probably closer to 140x2. For all 7? maybe 75x7.....maybe not.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/the-all-channels-drive n-acd-amplifier-test
Maybe more than you want or need to know, but an article about HT amp measures and testing.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15335
Thanks, Leo. bookmarked.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1505
Seriously? Thank YOU.
I know how little play audioholics gets but this seemed OK.

Silver Member
Username: Gdawg

BC Canada

Post Number: 127
leo, Pioneer claims this power is all channels driven. see this ad:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pioneer-Elite-SC-27-A-V-7-Channel-Receiver-SC27-NEW-/19033864 2576?pt=Receivers_Tuners

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1555
From what I've read, the sc25 and it more expensive bigger brother, the sc27 BOTH use 'd' modules provided by B&O. Yep, back to the 'd' debate and ICE modules.
IF they bought the ASP series, each module has its own SMPS which means it may actually meet its rating. I'd have a dedicated circuit fo this receiver alone.
Other modules in the B&O line use external, user supplied power supplies. Some modules can be driven FROM an ASP module.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15194

Berny, to me $800 is a lot of money for something that will be obsolete and not worth fixing in about two to three years time. You quote power specs but, in reality, they are pretty meaningless when you get right down to it. At $800 the HT receiver market is all about features and how much BS can be put on the remote and the back panel. How about telling us your reason for wanting this thing and then we'll tell you whether you're about to waste $800. Is this a replacement for something else or a first time buy? What sort of speakers are you planning on using with this?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1557
Jan, I understand your post, but what do you DO? But a prepro and separate amp? That way you can upgrade as needed?
Skip HT altogether and just go for a decent 2.1 system? That was my choice due to space constraints and not wanting to chase this down every month. How do you avoid the obsolete in a year wagon while getting a system of value....or is 'value' the key?
I'm staying away from HT until I win the lotto, or get elected to public office!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15197

I'd say planning how not to be obsolete in a few years is a start but that's very difficult in HT.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1558
Have they started talking about HDMI 1.5 yet?
Or some new surround sound scheme?
Stuff like that is why people stayed away from the HD / BR stuff until that nonsense was settled.

Maybe the solution will be a dedicated HT computer. Completely software driven, just update to get the 'latest'. Want your house to sound like the Vienna State Opera House?....
get the Sim Software.

I'd love a future proof system. NAD has made a small effort in that regard with the motherboard / card system on some of their receivers. Swap cards for new features and capabilities. For someone who is willing to spend 2 large+ on just the receiver, a choice to consider. 300$ receivers should always be considered disposable.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1559
I know it's a little (maybe more) OT, but this is the way things are heading for the SWL. (Short Wave Listener).
PC as shortwave radio........

http://www.dxtra.com/

There are several more out there, similar to this. Once is even on a PCI card. Nick / Nuck:: take note.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3190
Looks cool Leo.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1562
I think something like this maybe 'Beyond Server'......

Nick, You're the guy to give this a try. A complete SOFTWARE HT receiver.
Alway upgradable. Worst case? Add a new interface card.

If you try this, please make it async USB or FireWire........

In posts above, Jan and I pretty much agree......keeping up is a drag and costly. Back panels of some gear still include S-Video......!!! So, imagine a totally custom system right from your PC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us