Rescue of Subwoofer of KLH 2.1 System

Username: Capex99

Post Number: 1
Friday 07-30-2010

I have a 2.1 KLH AT 2100i Audio System that the power supply and/or the amplifier is shot. I want to salvage the woofer and enclosure.

This KLH was specd as a 65 watt 8: woofer plus 2 each 35 Watt high freq satellite speakers. Impedence is shown as 4 OHMS which I assume are for each of three speakers.

The speakers are good. I want to use the 8" woofer and the enclosure and two satelite and this woofer from an Onkyo TX-850 65 watt x 2 Receiver and bypassing the internal power supply and amp section of the KLH. The satellite speakers have their own twin conductor to go to the amplifier. I have the circuit schematics in pdf format.

Question-- What do I need to do so I can connect to the woofer unit and drive from the Receiver- other than . Do I need a crossover, or can I connect directly. If a crossover is needed, what recommendation??

I am ok with doing any wiring and connectors having built my own ham gear many years ago.

Many thanks for any help. Email or send me a phone and Ill call.

LMStafford

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15073

"The speakers are good. I want to use the 8" woofer and the enclosure and two satelite and this woofer from an Onkyo TX-850 65 watt x 2 Receiver and bypassing the internal power supply and amp section of the KLH."

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Explain again, please.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15267
LMS, your speaker set is electronically crossed, so yes, you need to hit the hobby shop for XO componants. Or you could just walk in front of a bus on the way.
Stop at a pawn shop for something that works instead, unless this is an electrics lab project in Gr. 10

Post Number: 2
Rescue or recycle KLH 2.1 Speaker

Simply stated.......How do I connect the speaker output terminals of an Onkyo Receiver direct to the input terminals of the woofer only of a KLH 2.1 powered speaker system and bypass the internal amplifier?

Sorry I did not make it more clear.

(There are no busses where I live; so, cant go that route. )

Thanks.

LMS

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15074

This; http://shop.homemediamagazine.com/shop.php?c=139461&n=281056&i=B000ESYER8&x=KLH_ AT2100i_400_Watt_Amplified_Television_Home_Audio_System is a dead end. "Easy hook-up - Connects directly to your television. Simply connect the 3 wires provided, plug the power cord into a wall outlet and hook-up is complete" means you are screwed.

The system, as it was sold, is intended to be a self-contained amp/speaker system and, as such, it has no provisions for what you want to accomplish.

"Setup:
Basically the setup is Plug and Play. Take the RCA cable and connect between the TV and subwoofer. Connect the speaker wire from the subwoofer to the speakers and basically your set."

I'm assuming the "3 wires provided" are terminated in RCA plugs as indicated by that portion of a review. If so, the system expects to see a line level input and a speaker level in from a receiver will not work. About the only thing you could use might be the satellites since they appear to be powered at speaker level by the amplifier in the sub - and I could be wrong about that.

I really wouldn't bother with your idea anyway. This is not a "subwoofer" in the sesne it provides any sort of low frequency output beyond what those satellite speakers can't provide. Ignore what the specs claim, they are not truthful. Going lower than the satellites would mean the sub only needs to operate beneath about 100Hz and I doubt it has any useable output beneath about 50-60Hz. That is not a subwoofer. Any decent bookshelf speaker can manage that and sound much better doing so. IMO any use you would make of this system, compared to the hassle of making it work and the ability to replace what are typically and like so many other items throw away components for very few dollars, would be only out of the idea you cannot bear to part with anything you believe could be of some use at some future date to someone. 'Cause they really aren't any use to you in their present condition.

If you absolutely insist on not taking this advice, contact PartsExpress and ask whether they have any enclosures that might fit that driver and get their opinion on a plate amplifier to drive the sub. First, make sure you can get the "subwoofer's" driver out of the enclosure without destroying it. If you can't do that, then you have nothing to work with. Other than that you hook up the satellites just as you would any other speaker. Don't give them much power, they aren't meant for a real receiver.

A better suggestion?

http://audioengineusa.com/News-Reviews;jsessionid=G9CQMTCYGNSHpJKjj8C2GfJ1nNydLr Nv1qR7Y8twXGLrB19B817cJy6QhczNLcwXhvy6T9MSKv27zWpQcrLByg2JDwvQ7zT1F0vwGcZZzVZ011 wpGJ1lG16LB1XJGWhL!1696486583

Sorry to say, KLH has been junk selling off a once famous name for the last thirty years. There really is no point trying to salvage such stuff. Pay a little more and buy a higher quality product.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all of your input and recommendations. I am taking your advice and junking both the idea and the LF speaker but keeping the satellites which work fine for a home office.
LMS
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us