Advice on Vandersteen 2ce

Username: Hcaufield

Post Number: 3
hi all.....I was looking for advice on purchasing a used pair of Vandersteen 2CEs ($500). I have a modest system, HK 3490 2-channel stereo receiver, Marantz 5003 CD player, Music Hall TT and Paradigm Monitor 9s I bought used. I live in a townhouse with an open floor plan so its basically 18x40 with my primary listening area about 12' from the front wall. I tend to keep the volume from mid to low just to keep on speaking terms with the neighbors. While I'm pleased with the Monitors I guess I have the bug, looking for the ever elusive audio nirvana within the constraints of allowable finances. So I was wondering given my system and listening area would it be worth going for the Vandersteens.....any input is greatly appreciated...thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12977
I don't think that the your other components are at the same level as the Vandersteens. That said you could build a very nice system around the Vandy's.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15265
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/107vandy/index4.html

Those speakers can be driven very well with the HK power.
If you like it or not, well, you tell me.

I like the Speakers.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12981
The power from the HK wouldn't be the problem the sound quality would. The setup complete with the Vandy's would not likely be offensive to listen to however the 2ce's could see the OP through a number of upgrades and show him the difference all the way. That's usually a good investment...but don't expect the best from the Vandersteen's with the current setup. The 2ce and 2ce Signatures are speakers I'm very familiar with and very fond of.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15072

The 2c's and their later deriviatives have been budget favorites for decades now. Nuck is correct in that your present receiver would have no real problem driving the 2CE's given your volume requirements. (Placement in a townhouse might be a different matter as the Vandersteens require some breathing room.) And by most accounts the HK receiver is not a bad sounding component.

I have reservations regarding Art's comments as my opinion remains I am not in a position to tell you what "quality" of sound you will prefer and neither is anyone else IMO. The Vandersteens are certainly capable of showing improvements upstream in your system. Improving any one of your present components will be easily detected with the 2CE's in your system if you give adequate attention to system set up. There's really very little the budget Vandersteens need to apologize for when compared to much more costly speakers and issues of diminishing returns set in quite rapidly as you get above the original selling price of the Vandersteens.

The question I would pose goes to why you want to change? Is this just the fact you see what you perceive as a "deal" too good to pass up? Why are you interested in changing speakers before you improve, say, the source components which will offer more music in a more refined manner to your present system? The Paradigms and the Vandersteens are two very different personalities and changing from one to the other will make for dramatic changes in the perception of music. Are you aware of the basic character of the two speakers? And, are you changing to acquire the personality of the Vandersteen due to dissatisfaction with the Paradigms. If you respond by telling me you love your Paradigms, then I'm not seeing a good reason for the purchase of the Vanersteens.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15268
The 2CE's have been a cure-all (and good value) for a long time.

Dynaudio 52's have been the same, just different room size.

There is nothing wrong with being sold a general purpose speaker.

I like a review that says "It does nothing wrong" as opposed to 'it has energy' or such.
Doing nothing wrong is quite often just about right.

Username: Hcaufield

Post Number: 4
gentlemen, thanks for the responses, much appreciated....to answer Jan's question, I did see the 2CEs as a good deal but more importantly I thought and maybe mistakenly, that they would be musically "richer" than the paradigms. Its not that I'm displeased with the monitors, in fact I'm quite happy with their presentation but I thought the 2CEs would be better at it and I could work on improving the rest of the system as time and money allow. I know trying to describe a speakers audio qualities is akin to trying to describe a color and to be honest I'm not 100% sure just what audio color I'm looking for, guess I'll know it when I hear it....thanks again...

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15081

The Vandersteen approach to sound is quite recognizable and IMO not at all similar to that of the Paradigms; http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/107vandy/index.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us