Onkyo Receiver with Athena point 5 any good???Hawk

Golden Ear
Will I be ok with the onkyo HTR510 pushing my Athena Point 5 speakers (with JBL pb-12) or should I go with the Harmon Kardon 325. I just want to know if the Onkyos have a warm sound like the HK's and make the athenas sound good because the athenas are on the bright side but damn, they are so good.

Hawk
They are good speakers, but defintely get the H/K. It is so much better in so many different ways than the Onkyo, that I have no idea where to start. However, I will note that the power of the H/K is real--the Onkyo's power isn't. That is, the Onkyo power claims are bogus and should not be relied upon.

And no, the onkyo is not as warm as the H/K. Too many people confuse a "polite" sound with a "warm" sound--they are not the same.

Golden Ear
Thanks for the reply Hawk, I actually got a $125.00 deal for the onkyo htr510 with 6.1 channels and a supposed 100 Watts per channel. So I think that I am going to stick with this because the price for the price I got it for, I believe, was a steal. I must add that this combination sounds excellent, everything is so smooth sounding, it does not fatigue my ears at all, and I tested it with matrix reloaded, everything sounded natural and nothing was harsh.
I will use the saved 300 Dollars and maybe I can Get some floor standing Athena Auditions for the front 2 speakers.

Hawk
I certainly understand--that is a fine price on the Onkyo!

Happy listening!

krschee
just got a ht-r510 myself. it definitely beats the sony str-de595 i was using. but where did you find the info that onkyo's rating was overrated? the sony's "100W" was clearly inferior to the onkyo's i ad mit.

Kojak
H/K as a rule is problematic out of the box. They have a HUGE return rate. Hawk is a clown if he picks H/K over Onkyo...who died and appointed him King of Sound. What a problem it is with the silly masses confusing a 'polite sound' with a 'warm' sound. I pray I never am so confused.
In fact, I bumped into an Onkyo receiver and it excused itself. That's how I new it was polite.

Kojak
H/K as a rule is problematic out of the box. They have a HUGE return rate. Hawk is a clown if he picks H/K over Onkyo...who died and appointed him King of Sound. What a problem it is with the silly masses confusing a 'polite sound' with a 'warm' sound. I pray I never am so confused.
In fact, I bumped into an Onkyo receiver and it excused itself. That's how I knew it was polite.

Anonymous
kojak, please go away.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us