Panel Setup:

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1350
I know there are a few 'closet' panel guys out there. I have been an addict for a long time.

After my 'success' with the optical feed from my Small Dish I decided to try some other things I've been reading about, just in the interests of honesty and science........

So, Late yesterday, I flipped my panels around. Magnepan speakers are NOT symetric. Not only are speakers made in L/R pairs, but they are not even the same front and back. In the Current version, the wires are on the front, with the magnets and the support structure ON THE BACK...away from the listener. My original panels were the opposite, with the mylar on the backside and the 'front' held the magnet structure. The expensive 20.1 is the exception to this, being a push / pull design with magnets on both sides, making a sandwich of the mylar.
Some have said that Magnepan got this wrong and they should never have swapped sides.

Well, I flipped 'em. I left them on the original L/R side, though. My tweeter section is now on the inside while the magnet structure is now facing the listener. I think I like it better. The center image is more solid and the tonal balance is less bright..... This, even after doing some toe adjustments which is one way of balancing image and brightness. It should be noted that Magnepan supplies a 1 ohm resister to be inserted INTO the tweeter circuit to turn down the HF output. I have not had to resort to that 'fix'. The downside is that the speaker terminals are now on the 'front' where some KLUTZ could cllp 'em. Doom on me.
I believe this helps, since I have such a compromise setup and room. That HUGE 60" bigscreen in between is less intrusive now, at least in the audio sense. I might have just done a successful workaround.

I'll have to check Sub Phase, too, I guess.

I'm going to leave them like this for a few days and see how it wears. Then, I'll swap the speakers left / right and see how the panels reversed with the tweeters OUT sounds. That should be interesting and provoke another couple hours with some nice music.
Not that I need an excuse.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3905
After all that, try reversing the phase on the speaker leads - positive on the amp to negative on the speakers, and vice versa. Some speakers respond very well to it, others don't. It won't ruin anything, electrically speaking. Make sure you do both speakers, not just one.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1354
Amp has such a switch. I've tried it in the past to only limited success.
Some stuff is just too phase-jumbled. Other material seems better one way or t'other.
Big Engineered rock is maybe the worst. Soloist may be best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us