Kindly advice.. onkyo problem

Username: Akhil2725

Post Number: 1
dear team... i am fix in a problem with my reveiver.. kindly help.. i just got my onkyo TX-NR3007 today in india from mew york,, now i am facing a problem.. i connected it with power outlet and put it on and it started. within a minue or so it got off.. i looked at the line and my extension cord fuse got damaged and it was hot.. i disconnected everything.. then i called electric engg.. he told me that the receiver is 120v compatible and the power in india is 240v.. so i had to get a convertor.. i got one.. i plugged it in again.. but now.. theres the problem.. my receiver gets on with red standby light.. but when i press it to power it on.. i hear a clicking sound from the receiver and it is not getting on .. again i unplugged it.. and its showing me the same signs again and again.. clicking sound from inside the receiver and its not powering on.. but the red light powers on.. kindly tell me what could be the problem and how am i supposed to rectify it... the closest service center in India is probably around 1500kms away from me... kindly help... i am in a fix.see i tell you in detail.. now i am using a converter with output rating as 110/120 v ac and current as 50watts.. where the power rating written behind the amp is 110v ac 60htz.. first kindly tell me the converter i am using is ok.. now see whats happening is that i am listening to two sound continuously when i am powering on the amp... when the standby light is on , i click the button and the goes off.. i hear two sounds from behind the amp.. one near the power connector area and second again from near it but i guess from some what lower area and it seems to me like the power transformer inside is getting on but is being cut by some relay.. the sounds continues after intervals of 3 seconds and the red light on standby comes and goes..... till the time i press it twice or thrice to get a steady red light to put it on standby... now understanding this kindly tell me what part could be at fault... and what should i do... sir as the closest onkyo service centre is atleast 700 kms away from me.. i need the some solution i can ask my local tv guy to resolve... i opened my amp cover and saw three fuses inside intact and not damaged... the amp was on for just under one minute without power load when i connected it.. kindly help..

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1343
Even if you Didn't smoke it by plugging into 240, which I believe you did, a 50 watt convertor is hopelessly inadequate. 1000 watt would be more like it.
If the cord was HOT, you drew some substantial current for at least a short time.

Can you SMELL anything burned in the receiver? Put your nose right down to it and try. I'm sure something is 'smoked' and that's all folks.

How far is that service center again?

Why did you order from a 110v 60 hz country?
When I travel I ALWAYS bring my convertor and plugset.

Username: Akhil2725

Post Number: 2
brother i also checked if something was smoked.. but looking inside the amp.. after opening the top cover i couldnt see anything blacked out... also the fuses apparently are not damaged... but i need to use some instrument to see the flow of current... right.. presently when i put it on the standby light is getting on... but not afterward i put it on.. i couldnt smell something substantial to prove that the unit was smoked... maybe you are right here.. the voltage converter adapter is of lower power to adequately power up the receiver.. what say..

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1359
A 50 watt convertor simply won't run a HT receiver. A laptop or a reading lamp would be more like it.

The current surge when turning it on should be several hundred watts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us