Budget Stereo Amp Search

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 457
I am looking for a two channel budget amplifier in the $100-150 range. The amp will be specifically be used to power two Athena LS-500 (250wrms). The source of my music will be coming from a laptop so I would prefer it to have RCA inputs.

I need an amp that has quality sound for the buck. I don't care for looks, mainstream brand name, or any functions other than the basics.

Note: I have already been looking around in the local used markets with no luck.

Silver Member

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 459
5 days later... Good to see the home audio section is active...

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1363
If you are looking for LOUD, forget it.

Some of the 'T' amps can be found for this kind of coin. No flexibility, however. But with only RCA from the confuser, that would not appear to be an issue.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0707/trends_audio_ta101.htm

I don't know how sensitive your speaker are, and how much good 10 watts will do you, but here you go. You speakers have a listed sensitivity of 90db, 'in room' and NO listing for impedance.

The other choice is a 100$ beater off of Craig's List and take-your-chances.

The reason, I suspect, nobody answered is that 150$ is a very small sum for a stereo amp with even minimal pretensions to 'fidelity', hi or otherwise.

I T-amp I suggest, and it was just the 1st one to pop into my browser would be a crapshoot as to how well it'd drive your speakers. Certainly not to loud. Maybe in a small room and what is known as 'nearfield'.

Silver Member

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 460
Alright, thanks for the response Leo. I realize its not much of a budget to work with but I figured someone would have the answer. I'll do some research on the T amps. One of the main reasons I don't want to spend much is because it will be used in a house with 3 other college guys. I do have a Cambridge Audio 540R (I wish I had gone with something more suitable for specifically stereo) but I would prefer not to have beer spilled on it ext...

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 987
Check into Virtue Audio also.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3118
As I was reading the initial post the first thing that came into mind was exactly what Leo was thinking. T-Amp. Trendz integrated amp at 10 watts a channel. Only if your speakers are super sensitive. I like Chris's recommendation as well.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 15020

"I am looking for a two channel budget amplifier in the $100-150 range."

"I need an amp that has quality sound for the buck."

That's why no one bothered answering a silly post.

Best Buy has an Insignia receiver that goes on sale for under $100 and JR sells a Sherwood receiver for about the same. They have amplifiers, they are receivers. You did not make clear which you wanted when you stated you wanted quality sound for your price. Buy the receiver, buy the extended warranty, let the guys pour beer on it and don't worry, there's more where those came from.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15206
I really gotta go with JV here, at least in general terms.
Get a receiver instead of an integrated. You will have the flexibility of adding a movie, etc., even if you do not forsee it coming, plus a radio

grab a garage sale unit for 50$ or the like.

I have beer'd a few receivers in my college days, the less $ the better!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1365
College Students?

Cheapest beater you can find.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15105
look at dakmark you can get a decent denon reciever for about 150

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15106
http://www.dakmart.com/p6504/Denon-Avr-1707-7.1-Receiver-Ipod-Xm-Radio-Ready-1-Y ear-Warranty/product_info.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15107
ps I have the 300 version of your speakers and I wish I would have bought the 500's like you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us