Shunyata Power Cables

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3876
Just got a Shunyata Diamondback power cable a few days ago. Music Direct has them for $125. I think they're being discontinued, as they were $250 before. I also got 10% off for the 4th of July sale.

I had a Shunyata Venom cord that I moved to my DAC after I used the Diamondback on my B60 for a few days.

The Diamondback is a great PC in my system. It doesn't change the house sound or tone of the system; rather it enhances what I've got. Less veiling and grain - not that I thought they were their to begin with. The biggest difference is that the system sounds more effortless and natural. There's a better flow to the music. Seems like more air and space in the soundstage. A lot of cables in general improve a few things at the expense of others. Not these. I can't find a single reason not to use them. I liked the Venom cable on my B60; the Diamondback is a good deal better. I was thinking about trying out another Diamondback on my DAC, but I think I'm fine the way it is.

If you've got your system figured out component-wise and haven't tried power cords, check the Diamondback out. It ain't cheap at $125, but it's not too bad IMO. They won't turn your system into a $100k system, but I think they're definitely worth trying out. I'm pretty sure Music Direct has a 30 day 100% money back policy on them. Last I saw them, the Venom cable was about $60 (I paid $100), maybe they still have one or two laying around?

In a nutshell, great cables.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3877
My iPhone makes it hard to edit posts...

At $125, they're cheaper than a lot of intreconnects we've tried. Made just as much of a difference in my system. I wish Shunyata made cheaper interconnects - their cheapest ones are about $3k. If they had something in a realistic price range, I'd be all over them.

Everyone's system and ears are different, so take it as you will.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12899
Thanks for posting your impressions, Stu. I've long been a believer relative to power cords. My VDH Mainstreams took my system up a notch.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 962
What sort of wall outlet are you plugging the cord into Stu ?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15141
Shunyata has a very solid reputation for cables, outlets and especially power conditioners and regenerators.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3878
I'm using regular outlets. If I owned the place, I'd run a dedicated line and a hospital grade outlet. I've been tempted to replace the outlet with a hospital grade one. One of these days, or when I move.

These are the first PCs I've heard that had no negative effects. Not that I've heard them all, but I've heard enough to come to that conclusion.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12900
I have my Maintsreams plugged into FIM 880 wall receptacles.

I understand what you are saying about negative effects, Stu. I've had a whole bunch of power cords, both for audition and to own, and all of them change the sound of the system and most of them in as many negative ways as positive. Generally by changing the signature sound of the gear. My Maintreams simply enhance my system without any detrimental effects that I'm aware of...sounds like what you are getting from your Shunyata.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3879
For some reason or another, I have no acess to vdH. It's not like I live out in the sticks. They've been on my radar.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2393
Sometimes you do not notice a deviation in what you are hearing for a couple of weeks. Then you will play something that catches your ear so to speak, be it a difference in imaging, soundstage, upper or lower end extension, or that the VC needs to be turned up or down. I would venture that when you change a PC as with anything else, something changes. Stu mentioned the positives he associated with the Diamondback. I would suggest swapping the PC out after about a month and see what you experience. If the cord is not visible then having someone else swap it out and not telling you is even better.

I have the Shunyata Venom and it did not match up with my other PCs so it is in my HT system and not my audio system. I had their Taipan Helix Alpha PC and their Guardian 2 Conditioner. The sounded impressive at first but I soon identified that they were muddying up my sound.

That's why it is hard to say what works or doesn't work for Art, Nuck, myself or anyone else here will work or not work for someone else.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3880
Interesting. I've tried swapping out the Venom for a stock cord. Things got veiled and the highs were a bit more edgy or shouty (not sure how to describe it). The Venom relaxed things a bit, or made it seem more effortless.

The Diamondback has done the same, but took it a step higher. Having the Diamondback on the amp and the Venom at the DAC has made the system better again.

What did you use the Venom cable with? Its not really recommended for bigger amps (my B60 is 60 watts). Was it the Carver or SS Mac? Doesn't really explain the Tiapan though. Was everything used at once and/or added/taken away one at a time? I'm not doubting or discounting what you heard, just trying to educate myself so to speak.

Everyone's system and ears are different. I wouldn't buy this stuff without the 30 day money-back policy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us