Spare your neighbours: spikes, rubber feet or either?

Username: Herrfraeulein

Post Number: 1
Topic title says all, I hope. I'm referring to the situation where you're living in an apartment complex and you got neighbours living below you, too.

Now, I'm a nitwit on technical subjects, but my layman thinking would suggest that, since spikes occupy a way, way smaller surface area than rubber feet, they would allow less sonic vibrations (or whatever the technical term is), especially the low frequency ones, to be carried over into your floor (i.e. your below neighbours' ceiling). Or is that incorrect and do they only accomplish that all that vibrational energy is concentrated on 4 very small spots that, nonetheless, produce as much resonance on my floor as the rubber feet would?

Hope anybody can demystify this mystery for me.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15126
Welcome to the forum, Author.

Bass frequencies are omni-directional and the waves are more likely to penetrate surrounding materials as they go longer in wavelength.
Ideally, a subwoofer is invisible and the bass just permeates the entire room, right?
Well, it gets into(and through) materials, and certain frequencies can excite different parts of the room, including a concrete floor.

Isolation, rather than anchoring the speakers to the floor, is the only way to reduce the transmission to the floor, of course.
This does not do much for speakers in your listening room, unfortunately.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1281
Keep the bass down or you'll have a riot on your hands. Especially if you open up late at night or have a day sleeper.

Once you start driving all the bass into the room, the whole thing will become a speaker. No stopping it than!

Post Number: 4
Thanks to you both. Luckily, the apartments (or I think condos is really the right word) are fairly well isolated. But there's still a limit, of course.

Anyway, do I understand correctly that, essentially, spikes or rubber feet don't as such have any bearing on how the sound is distributed to your floor?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1283
If you are new to these condos, your best bet is to convince your neighbors that you are DEAF.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14954

Isolation between rooms or between adjacent buildings is a fucntion of construction during the initial building of the structures. There's not much you can do right now to change that level of isolation or how much bass reaches your neighbors' rooms. Auralex has information on their webpage about how to build for low transmission of sound; http://www.auralex.com/ You can look at their isolation products but I can't say they are going to solve your problem. Possibly a call to their customer service might be what you need.

Spikes mass load the speaker cabinet to the floor, this doesn't affect room to room sound transmission. Rubber feet will not isolate the walls from the changes in sound pressure which are what you need to address to achieve low transmission levels. No, you won't find your answer in a quick, cheap swap out of feet. You need to address the problem at the walls, ceiling and floor.

Post Number: 5
Thanks all.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1289
In SOME cost-no-object renovations expressly designed for stereo or HT it is possible to build a room-within-a-room.

This satisfies the points Jan raised.

The downside is that the room ends up smaller and the cost is very high. You also need all the permits and engineering done too boot. Such a project is not for the faint of heart or where other solutions exist....like renting a house with a reasonable space .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us