Using Magneplanar SMGa's with a new Pioneer Receiver?

Username: Mashaf

Indianapolis, IN USA

Post Number: 1
I recently got a new Pioneer VSX-1020 AV Receiver. The power specs (from the manual) are;
Power output (1 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.05 %, 1 ch driven) - 110 W per channel
Guaranteed speaker impedance - 16 ohm to 8 ohm, less than 8 ohm to 6 ohm (setting required)
( It's not readily apparent from the amp or manual how to make this 'required' setting )

For the past 40 years I've always used standard cone type box speakers (mostly 8 ohm) but I've always wanted to get a set of Magneplanar panel speakers since I first heard them in the mid 70's. I just came across a pair of Magneplanar SMGa speakers and bought them for $150.

Although I tried to research the question of using 4 ohm rated speakers like Magneplanars with an amp that only specifies speakers down to 6 ohm, I've seen answers all over the place from 'don't try it' to 'not really a problem'. I use the system for both Home Theater (5.1 and soon 7.1 surround) and music listening at low to moderate volume levels, I don't really crank it to extremely high volumes.

So my questions are;

1) Obviously the most important question- Should I use the Maggies with my new Pioneer Amp exercising caution with volume levels? Is there any real possibility of damaging the Amp (more important, cost wise) or speakers (less important)?

2) Do I need to change the Pioneer amp setting to '6 ohm'? If so, how is that done (not readily apparent)?

3) Are there any other incidental factors to be aware of (cable wire gauge, amp settings, signs of early speaker damage, speaker placement etc.)?

Thanks for any advice,
Mark

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1510
Uh.... no!

The Maggies require more CURRANT than your pioneer can put out... and thus the combo will not sound very good IMHO. You will be better off purchasing a good quality amp / preamp combo for these speakers and not trying to run them with a receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14943

It has to be one of the major wonders of the marketplace that after all these years an audio reviewer can still get excited about a HT receiver that cannot drive a four Ohm load. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/pioneer-vsx-1020-k-fl

MS, your question is somewhat difficult to answer other than to say, "Try it". At low to moderate volume you probably have nothing to lose, the amp should have adequate protection and you don't seem concerned about destroying a $150 pair of speakers. Give the amp the top spot in your cabinet and provide lots of air ventilation. As a rule Magnepans are not the difficult load some other box type speakers present to an amplifier, they have their own peculiarities. Their construction makes them a mostly benign though low impedance load with more of an inductive component to their high frequencies. They do not have the severe peaks and dips found in some other speakers and their overall phase angle remains less than troublesome for most high quality amplifiers. Historically, the Magnepan line has been somewhat less sensitive to wattage input than many other speakers and this results in the listener having to push the wattage output higher to achieve adequate volume levels, which then makes any other problems the amplifier has with the load all the more obvious as the amp is working hard to just get some SPL's out of the speakers. A $550 HT receiver would certainly not be my first recommendation for a pair of panel speakers and I would be expecting problems of integration with your other speakers/sub should the receiver survive the load.

I can find no sign of a switch or any instructions regarding the changeover to low impedance load protection for the Pioneer. Should you take this as a sign Pioneer really doesn't want to hear about any problems you have with low impedance speakers? Yeah, but more than that I'd take it as a sign Pioneer wanted to save to cost of a switch in the highly competitive HT market. The switch only limits current delivery anyway and current delivery is what you need to make low impedance loads (like the Magnepans) operate to their best. So I'd take this as Pioneer saying if you don't like the sound of your low impedance speakers with their amplifier, don't blame their amplifier for being a wuss. That's what I'd expect Pioneer to say, anyone with any sense would blame the amplifier for being so filled with HT "functionality" they couldn't afford to put a decent amplifier in their receiver. If you're really concerned about the switch, call your retailer and ask the question of them, that's what they should be doing is supplying after the sale assistance and not just a cheap price.

Otherwise, try the speakers and pay attention to the heat build up in the receiver. If it begins to get significantly warmer than it would with a more conventional speaker, shut it down and put the Magnepans on Audiogon's "for sale" site. Chalk it up to experience and learn a bit more about speakers and amps before you replace them.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1274
Approach higher loudness levels with caution. Panels sound different than dynamic speakers as they approach amp limits. You will almost certainly cook the Pioneer at higher levels. Ventilation is a must and can be done with a small box fan sitting on the top venting and set to suck air thru the receiver.
Maggies deserve better amplification.

Check out Audio Asylum ....Planar group
OR
Magnepan Users Group.

Welcome to the club.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us