The Tekton Design 4.5 initial comments

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1504
When listening to Sarah Brightman's Eden last night, my living room melted away. My back wall became the foundation for the opening of a great musical journey. It seemed as I was in the middle of a performance, peering into some form of greatness. I was not simply listening to music, but experiencing it. Never have I experienced scale of this magnitude with my magnepans OR my iQ3... but I am getting it out of a pair of Tekton Design 4.5 My living room walls seemed to expand outward, and the ceiling vaulted upward.

The opening of Eden (for those familiar with it) is a "Gregorian" type of harmonic chanting. Many male voices are harmonizing. And suddenly a digital, space age pinging will go to and fro between the speakers. This sounded as massive and weighty as I have ever heard it in my living room. The image extended from well outside the boundaries of the little tektons, and a good bit back. When Sarah started singing... pure and inviting. Her voice is one that can (and will) sound sibilant on speakers with said issue. Her vocals were also centered immediately front and center, with processing and overdubbing for certain areas.

These are also a revealing speaker. I played Boney James "Ride" to listen to some smooth jazz. Me being a huge Boney fan also does not play into this equation here either :-). However I did notice that the vocals on the title track sounded like Jaime (the vocalist on this track) had caused some issues for the production team. You can plainly hear some distortion. Boney is known for having a strong, funky bass line reminiscent of R&B. The 4.5s "showed their heritage" here by providing me with all the tight, smooth bass I could want on this CD. I must admit a bias for subwooferless standmount speakers, so your mileage may vary. However, I found that the Tektons actually handily beat my iQ3 in an area that I once thought that they had covered.

When directly comparing my KEF to the 4.5, it becomes totally obvious that although common sense tells you the larger speaker will perform better with deeper bass, it was not as drastic of a difference as you would think. Without the port bungs in the speaker, I found the iQ3 tended to boom and sounded one-notish. Once the plugs were inserted, they sounded bright and sloppy.

The 4.5 rectifies this with the right amount of bass that believe it or not, is tighter and deeper than the iQ3 with the bungs IN MY ROOM. They also sound more balanced. Granted, if you have a disc that has heavy content below the threshold of what these can play, your recording will sound top-heavy)

So... back to Boney!

The 4.5 sounded smooooth and funky! They jammed Boney! The sax ebbed and flowed. It was reassuring to me that the fostex cones let me know that this CD was a digital production, and still kept me bouncing on my couch. I mean simply that these are good enough to let you know the difference in a synth and the real thing. Pretty good for a set of $300 speakers! I know some much more expensive speakers that have a difficult time with that task. At the same time, it did not detract from the enjoyment. If digital = good soundstage (in the case of digital artifacts with Dido), these will give it to you but good.

I also put in a Tarja Turunen CD just for giggles. I just wanted to see what it would sound like. I ate a ton of crow. I have to admit that it sound heads and tails better than my iQ3 EVER played this symphonic metal CD.

Now before you think that I am insane for playing a hard rock CD with classic female vocals (a yitch for ANY speaker) on a 4.5 inch fullrange... I need to stress that I DO NOT listen loudly. I just wanted to see what it would sound like.

The opening track is really heavily produced, with loads of guitar work and vocals. The bass is centered right in the sweet spot for these guys... let me tell you that aside from the moderate volume, it sounded like guitars were all over my front wall, and that Tarja herself was coming out of my TV.

I will write more later... just wanted to give a little bit of info as to how these are going so far

I am at work on break and will probably post more later tonight. I have not had a chance to comment about other things I have listened to and the finish / dimensions.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1505
ok... continuing :-)

These impress with the excellent control and behavior. You are left with an impressively balanced, pure sounding performer.

They do have their weaknesses... Ultimate SPL will not be the strongest point, same can be said for deep bass. But, these are rather common sense. Some people will rather more resolution in the supertweeter region.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 949
Glad to hear you're enjoying them Gavin.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12870
Looks like you're having fun!

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1506
art I really think you would like these. They simply sound live and lifelike. The highs also surprised me. They aren't as rolled off at the top as some nay-sayers will have you believe.

While they did not sound bad out of the box... there is a defined improvement to the sound as of right now.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1507
one thing about the highs that I probably should mention...

i find them very balanced. Like I said, some people will wish for more extension on the ultra top, but I doubt that many will find them out of balance.

This can be heard with a quality recording. A drum kit images correct. Hi hats sound proportional to the soundstage. A sax doesn't sound overly breathy (unless recorded that way)

You aren't left wondering how the drummer grew 4' arms.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1509
It is obvious my ear has changed (is changing) and I am preferring a more refined sound.

On direct comparison, let me just say that the aluminum tweeter jive.... uh huh.

totally obvious which pair is better.

Don't get me wrong, I still feel that they are decent speakers, but I think that the Tekton have a more refined, more listenable sound.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12871
I may get a pair in few months and give 'em a test drive.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3241
Now you understand why I have not been able to part with my pair, they are exceptional, understated & beautiful, and under the right conditions, might be hard to match...period.

Gavin, are they new or used?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1511
New

Gold Member

Post Number: 3244
Can you post some pics, I'd like to see if anything has changed since I bought my pair?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1512
Sure thing! I will try to get some good ones for you guys. I have the standard black, and was blown away at the quality of the finish. It is professional quality, and wouldn't look out of place as a matte-ish finish on a piano. It is NOT overly glossy, and looks smooth.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15118

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1514
damn...it is telling me the pics are too large.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1515
Upload
Upload
Upload

These were the best of the bunch. IMHO they look nicer than the kef.

These have a really understated beautiful sheen in the black. Need pro pics to really show it off.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15121
It's like Enterprise splitting from the main body.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3246
Interesting, the finish on my 4.5 is a textured black, almost matte, like these...

Upload

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 951
I wonder how they compare to the open-baffle version.....

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1516
better pics of the finish! Still not quite skilled with the camera (little white / black washover) but you can see the reflection of one of my CD racks.

These are beauties.

I called Eric Alexander today to rave about these, and commented about the finish. I told him that his basic finish would not look out of place on a piano, and asked him if I indeed received the basic finish speakers. He laughed and told me yes.

It makes me wonder what his optional finishes look like!

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 954
Nice pics Gavin. Lovely speakers. I think our tastes in audio gear are similar.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12893
Cool pics, Gav.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3248
Upload

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Aurora, Colorado United States

Post Number: 2222
Now Gavin try them with a single ended tube amp,and it will bring them and you to a whole new world,that you never thought existed.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12920
Damn Chris I didn't see your pic, very nice!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Aurora, Colorado United States

Post Number: 2229
Yep Art Eric is a pretty gifted woodworker.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15169
Such a wonderfully rewarding skill!

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1530
Art i am enjoying these even more. Do your ears a favor and pick up a pair.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15178
Without looking, is Tekton net only? 30 day?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 714
Pretty sure they are net only with no 30 day trial. I would think that is especially so if you get your own custom finish. Eric is definitely a great builder, my Tekton speaker has a stunning finish for the money (Bubinga).

One day I think I might try one of Eric's open baffle designs.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 972
Yeah, the OB4.5 is something I'd like to try. He has a OB6.5 now too, but it's a lot more money. My only complaint about the Ling's is overall efficiency. I have my RWA amp at 2 o'clock regularly just to get reasonable spl's. I love the sound, but I'm working those little batteries to get it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15179
CH, I drove those Lings with a fat SS amp as well.
The small watts is where they are at.
Sit closer?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12930
"Art i am enjoying these even more. Do your ears a favor and pick up a pair."

It'll likely be between these and the Rega RS1 for my home office.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1531
As they break in, i can't believe how addictive these are. They are totally surprising to listen to off axis. I expected them to have an electrostatic-like drop off in the sound quality. I could not be more wrong.

If you listen far off axis ( let's say you are up and moving around your room dusting furniture ) , these sound far more like real music than anything else i have yet to hear. I actually stopped what i was doing to listen... the absense of highs notwithstanding. It SOUNDED like a guitar.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1532
Obviously if you WANT to listen off axis, than there are going to be much better choices than this. But my wife even commented on it today that these are musical for "everyday" use.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15183
While she was "dusting"?

What is that, exactly?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1533
Ok... cleaning!

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 973
Ooooohhhh, "cleaning". Nudge, nudge.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3113
lol

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3114
wow wonderful looking speakers btw.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1547
just did an A-B with my iQ3 now that these are totally broken in...

These simply sound less forced, and as a result appear more realistic to my ears at the levels I listen at.

They are wonderful speakers, and a steal at the asking price.

I wish I looked at SDFR designs much sooner.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13102
Sounds like you are enjoying the new speakers, Gavin.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 692
Tekton Design 4.5
Are these the same speakers on the Tekton site listing for $300???

Gold Member

Post Number: 3297
Yes.

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1104
Chris and Gavin,

Pretty impressive comments for a $300 speaker. Immediately, I assumed you guys were delusional, although I've been known to be proven wrong, i.e., the Ascend 180s come to mind and the Lings.

So, I went to the website and found the following review for a slightly more expensive speaker from Eric. Maybe you guys do know what you're hearing.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0809/tekton_design_ob45.htm

I'll be in Utah early next year and I'll have to look Eric up and see if I can't get a listen. Thanks for the "heads up" on another speaker to listen to before I buy something.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1551
Dak they aren't for everyone, but if anyone can get the best out of them...eric is your guy.

Here is a thread on the klipsch forum about them.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/87559.aspx?PageIndex=1

Gold Member

Post Number: 3298
I still might be delusional, but I think I've developed a decent (not golden) ear over the past few years, and the 4.5 are excellent at what they do. Anchor them to some solid stands, put a few clean watts into them with some well recorded, intimate, vocal intensive recordings, and they do what a good speaker is supposed to do, disappear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3299
What Eric @ Tekton has done is nothing more than build a solid version the spec cabinet design for the Fostex FE127E. https://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexcabs/127e_revencl.pdf

The driver is simply a gem.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3300
On a side note, I still regret not picking up that Madisound RBR Kit when they were blowing them out for $399! http://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_38_436&products_id=8644

I located a thread where some guy built up a pair, and boy do they look sweet, and from everything I've read, they sound pretty good too...

Upload

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpost.php4?p=507228&postcount=220

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 693
With such good inexpensive speakers available, I wonder why I am looking at cheap used speakers at the same price range?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3301
I thought maybe you were being GREEN and trying to recycle?

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 696
Ha...no, just trying to get something better than I can afford.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us