Speakers for a NAD T762

Johnny
Ok, I just bought the receiver, and in the next couple of months am going to look at getting some speakers that match well to the NAD. I almost had my mind set on getting a set of Paradigm Titan speakers for the front and surround, and a Paradigm CC-170 for the center channel. I already have a subwoofer. After reading some of the postings here however, I thought I might ask some opinions. I am looking to spend around $600-$700 for the whole set. I can get the Titan's for $190 a pair and the CC-170 for around $200. So, if you suggest any alternatives, try to keep it around the same price range. Thank you very much.

Daniel
try the snell speakers, they sounds great with the NAD receiver.
Daniel

John A.
One way to go is to keep the speakers you already have for surrounds, and spend that money on the best main and centre speakers.

Peter
And if you go the above route, I have the 762 paired with Paradigm Ref. Studio 60 mains and it sounds unbelievable. I got the v2 series off the floor for $900 but the v3 are out now so you may be able to swing a good deal.

valeem
Johnny:

I see that NAD now have their own speakers on sale. I believe they are manufactured by their sister company PSB or something to that effect.

http://www.bestpricetv.com/NAD_820_Speaker_System.html

Johnny
Another question for anyone who might know...I was looking at the Paradigm website, and the Titan's "suitable amplifier power range" is 100 watts. My receiver, the NAD T762 provides 100 watts per channel, continuously driven. Is this going to be too much? Will the Titan's not work with the 762? If not, how much range will I need to work with the 762. Right now, I have a mediocre Polk system. The speakers are really small...palm sized. I don't know exactly what they are rated to, but I doubt that it is any more than 100 watts, and so far, they sound fine with the NAD. No distorition at all.

John A.
Johnny,

"My receiver, the NAD T762 provides 100 watts per channel, continuously driven. Is this going to be too much?"

No, not at all. That figure is the maximum. Just like the top speed on a car, it is something to know, even if you never use it. The danger for speakers, and ears, is not an amplifier with too much power: it is one with too little, so it has to be driven into distortion. That is one reason why the speakers you already have sound good with that receiver.

Johnny
John A:

Thanks for your response. So does that mean I would be ok with the Titan's, even though they are only rated to 100 watts?

Johnny
John A, Hawk, or anyone else:

Just looking around, and I also find that I can get the PSB Alpha series for nearly an identical price as the Paradigm Titan/CC-170 combo. Any thoughts on comparisons between the Titan's and the Alpha's. Apparently PSB is a sister company of NAD or something like that.

John A.
Johnny,

As regards power, yes, they would be an good match. Titans are small, 8 Ohm speakers and will be easy to drive. Your NAD will not blink an eyelid, will probably deliver smooth and clear power, and never clip. It is a good way to go. Put the front Titans on stands and be prepared to use the sub, even for stereo. Having said that, it is from the published specification. I have never heard Paradigms, and cannot personally comment on subjective sound. What a great web site, though.

Johnny,

I am going the other way around ie : I have a full Titan/CC-170 setup and will buy a NAD T752 soon (very soon... next weekend maybe..). On their own, the Titans are fantastic little speakers for the price. You are not going wrong with Paradigm speakers, esp with a NAD amp. Good luck !

Johnny
Math,

Do you have the Titan's as both the front and surround? I have heard from someone else that I should also look into getting either the ADP-70 or ADP-170 for the surrounds. These two speakers are cone shaped (I am unsure of the technical name for this). Also, how would the Atom's serve as surround speakers?

Math
Ive got Titans for both front and surround

Paul T
Johnny, This is no way a dig at you or Paradigm but why settle for 4 titans for $190 a pair when you spent probably $899 on the NAD T762?? You bought a great receiver there and Paradigms are great speakers (I actually finally decided on the Paradigm Studio 20v3's myself) but with that receiver I would spend the big bucks now on 2 Higher End mains such as the Monitor Series or Studios Series by Paradigm, PSB's or Polk Audio's LSi line if space is the problem they all build from bookshelf size and up. Once you got the best main speakers you get center and surrounds to match (although my method will take a little more time scraping up the $$$ :) ).... Just a though Johnny, at least that's how found the best way to build a really fantastic system.. Good Luck

Johnny
Paul T and others,

I have been doing extensive research on this, and found a great deal on some PSB Image 2b and and 8c center. Would this be a significant step up over the Titan combo? Does PSB sound good with NAD? Thanks for all of your help.

Paul T
Johnny, I never heard PSB's but have seen great reviews on them and they seem to be a great speaker, The Titans are also a great speaker.. My point wasn't putting down the Titans but just stating with that incredible Receiver I would go as high up on the food chain in regards to my mains as you can afford.. Key is listen to them and decide for yourself.. all speakers sound different to each individual so it's all in "your" ears.. either way Johnny you won't go wrong, you have a top notch receiver and are looking at top notch speakers.. I'm going the opposite route here, getting new main speakers and building around them, going to give the Paradigm Studio 20v3's a last listen this week (haven't found anything that sounds nearly as good for the money or size, Polk LSi's are close but just a notch below the new V3's plus the 4 ohm issue limits receiver choices later and right now I can easiely drive the Paradigm's with my present Yamaha)then I will decide on the receiver, center and surrounds will be last... happy hunting and good luck Johnny...

Johnny
Hello everyone,

I received my PSB speakers (to go with an NAD T762) last night and wanted to let you all know how they sounded. I won't waste your time by going through my purchase process...you can read it all above. I purchased a pair of Image 2B's as mains and a 9c center channel. I got all three "bad box" from Saturday Audio Exchange. Bad box simply means that the boxes were damaged in shipping...so they are offered at a substantial discount. The speakers themselves were undamaged and carried the full manufacturers warranty. I got the 2B's for $275 (retail $399), and the 9c for $299 (retail $399).

The thing that struck me the most about these speakers when I first took them out of the box was the SIZE!! I previously had a mediocre Polk system, and the mains and surrounds could fit into the palm of your hand...the center was not much better. Let me tell you...the 2b's and 9c are hosses. If you are thinking of purchasing any of these, be prepared, and make sure you have room for them...they are much bigger than I expected. If you are looking for bookshelf speakers to fit into a tight space, do not get these speakers. The 9c itself is over 2 feet long.

Now for the sound....I have heard that these speakers all take awhile to break in, so the sound might actually get a little better as time goes on. I started by playing some music...Count Basie, then a little Guns N Roses, finally the track "Private Investigations" by Dire Straits. The speakers sounded AWESOME!! On the Basie track, the seperation of the instruments was very distinct. The piano and vibraphone sang and sounded like they were in the room with me. Likewise on the Dire Straits track. The acoustic guitar was very detailed and accurate.

Overall, the sound was much more "full" sounding than my old Polk speakers. Much of this probably has to do with the size. With the Polk's, it was almost as if I could pick out where the sound was coming from. If I closed my eyes, I could almost point to where each speaker was. With the PSB's, this was not the case at all. The speakers blended with each other perfectly. If I close my eyes with these speakers, it is nearly impossible to tell where the sound is coming from. It was like I was surrounded with a "wall of sound".

When I first started reading this forum, many people were describing sounds as being "bright" or "mellow"..."in your face" or "laid back". Not having much to compare, I did not really know what the difference was. What defines something as "bright" or "laid back"? After comparing my old Polk's and the new PSB's, I now know what all of the talk was about. I would describe the PSB/NAD combination as definately more "mellow" or "laid back" than my old Polk/NAD combination. The Polks sounded very bright compared to the PSB's. For me at least, the "mellow" PSB sound is much more desirable. The best way I can describe it in a way that other people can relate to is this...play around with the treble control on your receiver. Turn the treble all the way up...this is what "bright" is...an emphasis on the "higher" sounds. This is what the Polks sounded like comparatively. Then, turn the treble back to the normal position. This sound is more "mellow" or "laid back". There is not so much emphasis on the higher sounds, rather it seems more blended. This is how the PSB speakers sound in my mind.

All in all, I would recommend the PSB Image series to anyone who is looking for a great speaker at a great price...especially paired with an NAD receiver. The same company owns both NAD and PSB...so the pairing is natural. I have even heard that NAD uses Image series speakers in its labs to test its receivers. Sure, there are other speakers in the PSB line, and from other makers that might sound better. If you can afford more expensive speakers...then by all means, go for it, but you don't need to. If you want an awesome sounding speaker that won't break your bank, dollar for dollar, the PSB Image series is the best that I have heard.

Boots
I second Johnny's post on the NAD/PSB combo! I just bought the NAD T742 with PSB Image 5Ts(towers) for the fronts, the Image 8c for center and the PSB SubSonic 5i sub. The sound is amazing. His description of the "forward" and "laid back" issue is on the money. I listen to 70% music, and this combo makes music very easy to listen to. It's still very crisp and clear, without being grating on the ears, as some receiver/speaker combos can be. All the nuances of the mix are right there. It puts out a great soundstage, with wonderful seperation, yet as Johnny said, an excellent blend. In stereo, with the center channel and sub off, the 5Ts have a tight and full bass response, and I really thought the center speaker was on, as the stereo effect was so good!
I highly recommend this combo!
Boots

Johnny
One more thing...
I forgot to tell about the DVD I used to test my new PSB speakers. I watched Star Wars Episode 2. I watched the whole thing, but the scene that stuck out most in my mind as showing how clear and detailed the combo is, was the scene in which Obi Wan and Anikin are in the bar chasing after the would be assassin of the Queen. There is one part in that scene, when a woman's voice, apparently a waitress or something in the bar, comes onto the rear left channel, and I think it is exclusively to this channel, so it sounds like the woman is behind you. When I heard this, I seriously thought some woman had broken into my house and was talking...it was that lifelike. I began looking around the room, wondering where the sound was coming from, until I finally figured out that it was the movie. I had never heard this effect before, and it almost scared me at how lifelike it was.

John A.
I have had that experience; of actually thinking there are intruders in the room.

Speakers do break in. It will only get better.

Great post, Johnny. That is a really strong recommedation.

Hawk
Awesome Johnny--congrats on a great system!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us