Home Theatre Cable

BBB
I am pretty new in this area and will soon be investing in a HT set. However, I am not sure what type of cable should I use and the price per/m. Would appreciate if anyone could comment on it. My system is comprises of Yamaha AV Receiver RXV2400, B&W Speaker 603 S3, AE Evo One for rear, Sub Woofer ASW1000 and a B&W centre. I am using a Pioneer DVD player.

G-Man
Get the least expensive Monster Cable that will do the job. Get 12 or 14 gauge speaker wire that costs no more than 50 cent per foot. Get an optical interconnect for your DVD player to receiver at no more than $29-$39.

MAR
G-man:
You're not a believer in very expensive cable then. Never made any sense to me...

Do you know anything about even less expensive brands (ie. ultralink matrix at www.hometech.com)?

G-Man
I generally buy top notch Radio Shack or the least expensive Monster Cable. I buy 12 gauge speaker wire (which is thick) just to be safe. But I don't buy tweako types that cost a fortune.

I am unfamiliar with ultralink, but if you are comfortable with the price--go ahead.

teaparty
I would not use an optical digital cable and I wouldn't buy Monster Cable...lots of bad experiences. A/R cables will be as good as Monster...and cheaper. I would use a coaxial digital cable. You can also goto usedcables.com

G-Man
I just mentioned inexpensive Monster Cable speaker wire as an example. I have never had a bad experience with any speaker wire. And I have used both coaxial digital cable and optical cable--both gave me equally excellent results. And my audio and videophile friends in the neighborhood have had similarly good experience regardless what inexpensive wires, interconnects, and cables they used.

I am sure there are a thousand brands of 12 gauge wires that perform identically to Monster--I just mentioned them as an obvious brand. 12 gauge Radio Shack would be the same. Just get well-coated wire.

All my point was--Don't waste money on expensive wires and cables unless it makes you feel wonderful spending a lot for the same performance.

BBB
Thanks a lot for your comments.

Hawk
Guys:

When visiting the Part Express web page (www.partsexpress.com), I discovered that they have launched their own line of audio and video cables under the brand name "Dayton Audio." Obviously, I haven't used them, but the prices look very reasonable and I intend to try them very soon. If you want reasonably priced cables, you may wish to check them out for yourself.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us