Sherwood R-771 sound cuts off

Username: Lisaguideline

Palm Bay, FL USA

Post Number: 1
I've had this unit for 5 years. When the system is on for a short period I have to reset it so that that the sound works again...then it cuts out again. Should I fix it (seems like it has a short) or should I chunk it and buy a new one? I think this originally started after a power surge about a year ago.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3983
I'd chuck it, but that's just me.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1227
5 years on speaker connections is a long time. Copper will oxidize / turn green and not make good contact. This is a possibility. Does the receiver run hot? Is it in an enclosed space or poorly ventilated?

A trip to the tech after a power surge and than problems is a good idea. Since it hasn't melted down altogether, that is also good.
You'll get a bill for an estimate than another bill for the fix. Sometimes they 'skip' the estimate if you go ahead and get it fixed.

Find an authorized service center.
http://www.sherwoodusa.com/cc_contact.html
Link to Sherwood site....they'll know who to go to.

Where you are located in Florida there are a lot of Rocket Scientists so you should have no problem finding someone who can fix it.

Good luck with 'Florida Flicker and Flash'.....what we used to call FPL when I lived in Miami.

Get a good whole-house surge suppressor.

Username: Lisaguideline

Palm Bay, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Well it actually happened when I lived in Utah and was on a surge suppressor. The power does go crazy here... I'm in Melbourne so maybe one of those scientists from Kennedy can fix it!

Thanks for the info, I'll call Sherwood and look into a whole house surge suppressor.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1229
Can't trust Utah power, either!

Do you need more ... advanced... connections? Needing HDMI would be the reason to trade up.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3984
That's what I was thinking Leo. A 5 year old A/V receiver is pretty long in the tooth. Might be nice to have the HD processing modes too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us