Zu Audio Druids Speakers: Anyone Hear Them or Have any Knowledge Of Them?

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 454
Well, as the title says, I'd like to hear some thoughts/impressions, opinions.......experience or knowledge anyone may have on these speakers.

I think I mentioned previoisly (over the last few months) that I've been poking around and checking out a bunch of speakers.

So far I've narrowed it down to a few that I really like:

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand (The Leading, HEAVY favorites by far, so far)(I eliminated the Beethoven Concert Grands due to their size. Just a bit too big for my needs).

Sonus Faber Toy Tower

Sonus Faber Piano Grand Domus (unfortuntely now discontinued).

I've eliminated all the others I checked out and auditioned.

So I Zu Audio Druids is next on my list.

Amplification will be either the McIntosh MC252 (with either the C220 or C2200 preamps) or the Van Alstine Fet Valve 500 Ultra+. Depending in what room/system these speakers will end up.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 928
Never heard 'em, but I've read a ton of good things about them. And, from what I know of their design philosophy my expectation is that I would like them very much. Their on my "love to hear" list. If you audition them I'd love to hear your impressions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
I'm going to keep trying Chris. But this is a tough one to audtion. I'll keep trying and poking around to see if I can track down someone who has them.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12774
Interestingly, among all of the high end speakers I've read about these draw the most varied responses. On some forums they are considered absolutely awful and on others they are the second coming. They are usually run successfully with low powered tube amps.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 931
Art, I think that's consistent with most single driver full range speakers (although these have a tweeter integrated above 10k). Some love those type of speakers (like me), some don't.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12776
Chris, I believe this speaker is more divisive than the typical single driver speaker. I'm hearing and reading comments from folks I know and who I know like single driver speakers and tube amps. As I stated I haven't heard them, though I'm intrigued. I'm not interested in owning them as my next upgrade will either be in DeVore line or in the Harbeth line however a speaker this divisive really interests me.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3847
The Sonus Faber Toy is a real let down to me. Its a very small speaker that just doesn't do frequency extremes, SPL, and scale very well. Not that I think is was really intended to.

If you're using them in a bedroom or small office, they may be OK. I'm a big fan of the previous generation Sonus Faber. They've changed their house sound. I've only heard the Toy monitor and entry level non-Toy tower, whatever its now called. Not really sure how I feel about their new sound to be honest. I think I need to spend more time with them to get used to them. Not sure that'll happen though, as I'm not in the market for new speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
Stu, I'm a little confused.

Which Sonus Faber Toy speaker did you listen to and describe up above?

The floorstander Tower or the bookshelf?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3851
The Toy bookshelf. I didn't hear the Toy tower. I heard the next model up tower and bookshelf, which corrected a lot of the Toy monitor's downfalls.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12809
The Zu Soul Superfly is getting some good words from folks I trust.

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
Okay, Stu.

The Toy Tower sure sounds real nice.

But right now I'm still leaning towards the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand or the Acoustic Zen Adagio floorstanders.

Still trying to audition the ZU Audio speakers. Any of them It's difficult to track these speakers down for a listen.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Aurora, Colorado United States

Post Number: 2224
I heard the Essence at the RMAF i was very impressed,by them,they have a Fountek planer tweeter,which was new for Zu,the new Superflys have went back to old bullet horn tweeter,with a lot of improvements and their back to their normal 101db now and Essence was 97db.Single ended amps are the way to go with them or any other singledriver or horn design,but the Zu's are more versatile in that aspect,they played real well on a Peachtree Nova,the Druid is being upgraded based on their newer technology from the Essence and more specifically the Superfly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us