Amp recommendation for Snell C/V

Bronze Member
Username: Gibnihtmus

Post Number: 12
I have a pair of snell Type C/V and I want to get an amp for it because my a/v receiver's amps arent strong enough.

Here is the description.

Three-way floorstanding vented loudspeaker. Drivers: two 8" woofers, two 5" midranges, one 1" titanium-dome tweeter, one switchable rear-firing 1" tweeter. Crossover frequencies: 300Hz, 2.8kHz. Recommended amplifier power: 50--250W. Rated sensitivity: 90dB/W/m in anechoic half-space. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 5 ohms minimum.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I also use these speakers for movies and such.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14908

You say you want an "amp". What's that mean? A two channel amp? A five channel amp? Are you going to replace your receiver with another receiver? Are you trying to drive a new two channel amp from your old 5.1 receiver? Are you wanting to buy a new pre amp/processer and a new amp? You'll need to be more specific about what you want to have happen before we can tell you what might possibly work.

What's your budget?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I want a 2 channel amp to power those 2 speakers. I'm going to connect it to my receiver. and im not going to buy a new processor. my receiver has front outputs so im good there.
my budget is $500 more or less

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15059
Those Snell look, so far, like a fairly easy load for an amp. A better quality receiver might drive them well, like an Arcam or so, bit nothing near 500$.
You can amplify the receivers signal, if you have a pre-out for the fronts. Amplifying a bad sound usually just sounds badder.And louder.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15060
And not as much louder as you might think...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14910

I think you're going to have to explain what you meant by, "my a/v receiver's amps arent strong enough." As Nuck suggests buying more watts is not a sure fire way of arriving at louder overall volumes or "better bass". A speaker with a higher sensitivity spec will get you louder with less strain on all components than will buying more watts.

HT receivers aren't known to produce high quality watts and a separate power amplifier might produce higher quality sound with "better bass" and with more clarity. However, it's unlikely to play all that much louder than an equal wattage receiver and even doubling your available wattage won't mean much for the average sound level.

Your $500 budget doesn't provide many options and none that I am aware of that would be even close in wattage to most HT receivers which have some inflated power specs based solely on test bench performance.

How about you explain what you mean by "my a/v receiver's amps arent strong enough"? What isn't to your liking that you feel another amplifier might provide? What's the model number and manufacturer of your receiver and how old is it? Can you be more specific in what you think you want to improve?

In the meantime, take a look at some used amplifier to get a price range idea for what you can buy with $500; http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?ampstran

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
K thanks for the advice. I ll look into getting a new receiver.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14912

I believe we've been overly misunderstood.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15064
make it a hugeass receiver then!
Replacing a $500 receiver with a $600 receiver does not likely address the issues that you had(have),gib.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1218
http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/99SC5FIG1.jpg

Above is link to stereophile measurement data for the Snell.

Big swing in phase angle.......I'd say it was on the difficult side as such things go.
And while the 4 ohm minima is not too near either extreme in phase, I'd say a good amp is needed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us