Integrated amp for HT

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 922
My NAD receiver is acting up again (wicked hum that I can't resolve) so I'm going to retire it. I don't want to replace it with another receiver, since I don't use the video switching anyway, nor will I need it in the future. So, I'm thinking a basic integrated. Nothing expensive or fancy, just something that sounds decent. My standards for sound quality while watching TV or movies is lower than when listening to music. That being said, I still want it to sound good. Here is what I'm looking for;

- it's in the living room so my wife says it has to match the other gear, so it has to be black.
- I don't want a BTU generator. It's on all the time so I don't want something that's inefficient, runs up my power bill, and wastes energy. So, I'm thinking a Class D unit.
- A minimum of 4 inputs.
- Must have a remote control.
- An ipod/mp3 player input would be a bonus, but not a must.
- 50W or greater. Must be able to drive my Sierra's, which have a lowish sensitivity (85db) but are a benign 8 ohm load. I've driven them with a 15W tube amp in a smaller room and they sounded very good. The room is 14x18.
- I'd like a pre-out or sub-out option for my subwoofer.
- I'm hoping to spend not much more than $500-$600.

I haven't had a lot of time to look around at what's out there that fits the bill, but in the little time I've spent I'm not coming up with much. It's a niche I haven't explored for a long time. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 651
I found the Onkyo A-9555, it's Class D but I don't think it has any pre or sub-out option.

I just recently picked up an Audiolab 8000S for $550. It has pre-outs, but is not Class D (it's AB) and does not have a USB input (can you get some sort of adapter for this?). I believe it runs pretty warm, if that' a sign of high power consumption I'm not sure. It has lots of inputs and plenty of power on tap. You can always add a power amp to it later on as well. Frankly, for the price, I doubt one can do much better (at least when buying new). It doesn't tick all your boxes though.

Audiolab was recently dropped by their Cdn distributor. I'm not sure if they've been picked up yet by a new one (I heard this is close to happening). This is why there are some firesale prices now - I think the old distributor just dumped whatever inventory they had. There is always a risk without a distributor, but I'm betting I won't run into any issues and they will be picked up by someone else soon enough.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12754
Not Class D but the NAD C326BEE is a very good sounding unit.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 923
Thanks Dan. The Onkyo was one that did cross my mind. I suppose I could do speaker wire hookups to the sub if that turns out to be the best option. Audiolab does make nice gear too, but I also heard they run warm. I think some of them are pure Class A for the first few watts. I'd like to avoid the power consumption if I can.

Art, I appreciate the suggestion. I'm leaving NAD off my list for now. I haven't had good luck with my current unit, and I've read to many QC issues lately with other products. Every brand has its issues, but NAD lately seems to have more than its share.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12758
The latest range from Cambridge Audio may fit the bill. Again not Class D but I don't think they run warm either.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 924
My dealer carries Denon and Cambridge units, so I'll pop in and see what they want for a 540A. It does everything I think except as you mention it's an AB unit, so harder on electricity.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 654
Might be only the 550A by now.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 15061
The 540/550 will only draw like 450W from the wall. Is power limited there? Connections shaky CH?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 925
No Nuck, simply trying not to waste electricity unecessarily. The amp will be on 24/7, so a little "green" would be nice. For HT, I'd take efficiency over ultimate sound quality.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1214
My PSAudio GCC series integrated has 5 inputs, of which 1 is balanced and 'extra' stereo linelevel outs for driving a sub.
works fine. This is a reasonable example of a modern 'd' amp using B&O modules. This is not current production. The remote is as cheesy as they come and I replaced mine with a Logitech programable which replaced a total of 5 remotes!
I don't know what $$ the current used market commands.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 929
There is a PS Audio C-100 up on Audiogon right now Leo. It's 1 shy of inputs, but has everything else. Reviews are very good as well, especially the Cullen modified version.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 930
Wrong color though.....doh!

The Peachtree Decco would be another option.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us