Naim nait 5i

Username: Johnson_joe

Post Number: 1
I purchased this unit last year with a pair of AudioPhysic Sitara's. I am not convinced I am getting the performance I should. My mac is linked through a HRT music streamer into my AV port.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be done to increase the quality?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12644
You haven't said what it is that you think you are missing.

Post Number: 2
Art,

I haven't been able to put my finger on it so to speak. If I am to put it into words, I suppose I just felt like the sound would be clearer, deeper, crisper and harder.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12646
Audio Physic floorstanders are notoriously fussy about placement and so I would work with that first also what kind of rack is the Nait placed on?

Post Number: 3
I haven't used a rack for the naim yet. Suggestions?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12647
If you haven't used a rack then where it it located? On what type of surface?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12648
Also are your speakers on a wood floor, carpet, tile or what?

Post Number: 4
The amp is sitting on a 2" laminant conveyed mdf shelf which is on a stainless steel frame, 1.5" square tubular. The speakers are on cement fiber 4'x4' tiles, they have spikes.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12649
I would consider getting a rack for the amp, or perhaps a piece of 3/4 inch Birch ply.MDF shelves can kill sound...also consider placing the speakers on wood. With a Naim amp and AP speakers you shouldn't be experiencing the kind of sound you mentioned. Also consider speaker placement. You may want to fuss with that before you add anything to the setup.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3823
The first thing anyone should do is the free stuff - work on speaker and listening chair position, placement of the amp and sources, and so on. Try different things around the house to place the Nait on. Butcher blocks, cutting boards, and so on.

You can do things to make the room sond better too. If it's bare, grab some big stuffed pillows, cover large windows with thick curtains, etc.

With all that being said, it'll only get so good with the source you're using. I haven't heard the HRT, but you can't expect the sun moon and stars from a $100 piece. Try demoing a few different DACs to see what changes they'll give you. Make sure your music is uncompressed - Apple Lossless if you're running iTunes on your Mac. I'm not sure of whatever additional settings there are, but make sure they're all correct.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14997
source first.

Post Number: 5
All good advice, I will start playing around.

Cheers

Post Number: 6
Something else I noticed when I was playing with the inputs, when my cables run into the AV vs. the CD from my computer, I notice a difference in sound. I was told to use the AV input, but the CD input sounded better.

Thoughts?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12651
Keep using the CD input. Often one input will sound better than others (shorter signal path etc)...use the best sounding one for music.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3041
I have never heard good results feeding any DAC using a typical Laptop or Onboard sound card. Also, like Stu said, your source here is the weak link. I had both HRT units here for a few weeks, and while very good for the money, would still bring down a system like yours. I would upgrade your DAC.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12654
The HRT's sound good for the dough especially the cheaper one but by the time you get to the more expensive one you aren't far from owning a DacMagic.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3042
I fully agree Art. If you want a great sounding DAC without spending a lot of money, but a DAC Magic. Or check out a cheaper BenchMark DAC.(never heard the benchmark but hear they are good from trustworthy sources). Or if you want something that is going to keep up to your speakers and amp as far as timing, detail, and robustness goes. Buy a Bryston or Sim.

Boy its fun spending other peoples money. hehe.

Post Number: 7
I will certainly look into the DAC Magic this week as well as the Bryston or Sim. It is pretty tough with all these variables, doesn't help that my Condo has such hard surfaces. I was thinking of having some acoustic boards made for the ceiling, we have exposed steel decking.

Thanks again for the advice.

Post Number: 8
I seem to be getting a bit of buzzing at certain levels of volume, specifically louder. Any thoughts on what might cause this? I guess its a trouble shooting day, I am simultaneously on a forum regarding my audi at the same time..

Post Number: 9
I should add that it is only noticeable when the system is muted.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3824
If I'm correct, the AV input is different than the rest of the inputs on the Nait. I think it bypasses the volume control. If you have it this way and are controling volume with your Mac, this explains part of your sound quality issues.

The volume should be all the way up on the Mac, and the HRT's RCAs should be connected to a different input. Volume control on computers works differently than amps - it changes the digital signal somehow. I'm not a techie and can't explain it any more than that.

Is the buzzing coming from the speakers or the Nait itself? If from the speakers, is your Nait connected to the TV (either directly from RCA outs on the TV or indirectly from the cable box)? If so, disconnect the Nait from the TV and see if that does the trick. There are a few other things that can cause it.

As far as DACs go, I haven't heard it the DACmagic, but have heard several people compare it to higher end DACs. They've pretty much all said that its not at the level of the Benchmark, Simaudio, Bryston, etc. DACs. I'd look at the Benchmark as a minimum. A lot of the Naim guys like it. Its starts at about $1k.

There are a ton of DACs out there. the best one for you depends on your budget, musical preferences, and what you'll connect.

In the mean time, check out Audio Physic's speaker placement guide -
http://www.audiophysic.de/aufstellung/index_e.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us