How should I set this up?

Username: Beatlesrule69

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 1
I am trying to figure out how I should set up 1, if not 2, stereo systems with my limited budget and pieces I've complied over the years. Ideally, I would like a 5.1 surround sound system with room for growth in my basement and a Hi-Fi system for my other living room. I have 2 different turntables and an old Technics receiver that I could use as well. Okay, I'll just list what I have and what I thought about setting up and I'll wait for your approval.

What I have:
2 32" Sony TVs (not HD)
Pair of Wharfedale Sapphire SP-87, 125W @ 8 ohm
Pair of Wharfedale Sapphire SP-83, 100W @ 8 ohm
Pair of Bose 141 speakers, 40W
Xbox 360, PS2, DVR, Apple Airport express, Technics SA-80 Receiver, Technics SL-B1 turntable, ION Audio USB turntable

For the surround sound, I had looked at Marantz SR 6003 because it has bluetooth that I could also sync up to my computer to play music. I was also recommended to the Integra 50.1 and NAD T747 HD which both have iPod docks. Which receiver should I go with? I'd like to stay around or under $1,000. I'd then hook up the ION turntable to that along with the Xbox, PS2, etc. and hook up my Wharfedale speakers to it.

In the other living room, I thought about either getting the SolaraHome SolaTube which I listened to a demo at a local retailer that blew me out of the water.
http://www.solarahome.com/solarasound/product_solatube.html

Or I could hook up the Technics SA-80 and run a DAC pre-amp to it to hook up to my Bose speakers. Or should I get the DAC pre-amp to plug into the surround system to get some better quality sound?

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 2
I apologize if some doesn't make much sense. I'm a bit green and was overwhelmed by all of the information being given to me at once.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1495
Joe you certainly will need different receiver if you want to setup a 5.1 system. The Marantz is a good receiver for a cheaper budget look in the Onkyo (may be an SR508) receivers. You won't be disappointed and it should have enough ports to all your gadgets, but if you're really into records then you need to look for a receiver with a RIAA input.

As for your speakers, you can certainly use the Wharfedales as front and back for a 5.1 surround, but you will probably need to spring for a matching center channel. You can try the Bose may be for sides, but I don't know if they will add much to the system.

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 3
I thought about Onkyo since it is at the top of the mid-level receivers, but I was hoping to get better sound which is why I was looking at the NAD or Marantz.

I could wait until June when the 40.1 Integra comes out which is 3D ready and at/or around $1,000.

I can't search Ubid or eBay at work, but I couldn't find a Wharfedale Sapphire center speaker at all.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1496
It doesn't have to be a center speaker per say, you may simply use another speaker of the same model as the center channel.

Owning a Marantz myself I definitly like the sound better than Onkyo. I was simply responding your "limited budget" request above.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us