I need a cheap reciever

Username: Trevor04

Post Number: 1
Looking to piece together a small setup. Nothing major Since ill be running some small satellite speakers that came with my low end panasonic home theater in a box. For now until i get a bigger budget. But the reason for upgrading to a bigger reciever is because i want to build a small sub box and run an 8" sub off a external plate amp. To make up for the major lack of bass, I usually just use the surorund sound for movies and games but have been missing out on some bass notes for too long now.

any suggestions? ill probably buy from jr.com budget lets say 200 bucks.Im not a real big audio perfectionist so i will never have any super expensive speakers in my setup.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14846

You don't need as "bigger receiver" if you're intent is to use a plate amp for the sub. Ask the folks at jr how to hook your plate amp up to your HTIB.

Post Number: 2
Well i dont want to use my HTIB reciever anymore. It can barely even push the speakers it came with even turned way up is a struggle for any surround i mainly get dialouge everything else sounds way off in a distance even though its a small room.

Im starting to look at used Harman kardon avr series models on ebay. gives me room to upgrade also.

Post Number: 3
Well here's what i ended up buying from ebay. any comments on this reciever? will it fit my needs?

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-225-Receiver/dp/B000066R5R

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14850

I see you waited for an answer before jumping into buying something.

Will it fit? It's better than what you have now but it has nothing to do with your subwoofer.

Post Number: 4
I read good reviews on it that it did 55 onEach channel I actually don't have a sub yetSo couldn't I match something to it? Would I even need a plate amp with this reciever? Is the receiver worth 100 bucks tho?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14851

That's nice. That's too bad. I suppose so. Probably. That remains to be seen.

Post Number: 5
that's helpful what did I do wrong to get that response?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14963
Yes, it is worth a c-note, if it works properly.
The sub will connect later.
The HK has decent bass delivery, you may not need a sub.

Post Number: 6
Well I don't think ill get bass from some verySmall satellite speakers. I have the 6.5 sub from my htib setup I might use for now can I just hook it to the sub pre out ? Then add a Dayton 8 and plate amp later?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14966
trevor, you can do anything that connections allow, and yours will work.
It will blow the speakers with volume, but will work.
BTW, are you sure all the tweeters still work in the speakers?

Post Number: 7
Yea they are new I don't play it loud I just bought it to get me by for awhile but I'm moving to a new place so time to upgrade

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1146
I'm a little late to this party.
Trevor, in general more money to spend at a given time is more leverage. Let me explain what I mean. If you buy a very inexpensive component for say.....200$ and later want to replace it with something better, you are out the original cost and the upgrade cost, with any (small, if any) cash back for selling the original piece. Spending 300$ later, as savings allows, will get you better stuff and since you give the impression that the bar is set fairly low, anything better now will last much longer without the fear of upgrade fever.

In my opin, you'd be better served by putting up with whatever you've got and save for a step or 2 above where you are currently aiming. This move will put off 'upgrade fever' for a longer time while you have a stable system...if done right.

Post Number: 8
well i got the H/K in and it sounds great now all i need is a sub setup to really have that home theater sound i want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us