Integrated Amp as Preamp

I erroneously posted this message to the Amp bb. I did not get many responses. I am now trying it where I guess it belonged originally. I apologize to anyone who is reading it for the second time.

I have been reading this bulletin board for several weeks off and on, and I have not seen this exact question. Please excuse me if it already has been answered. And it may be a whacky question, so please tell me if it is.

I have a c. 1987 NAD 3240PE integrated amplifier. It cuts out as the volume decreases, then crackles and pops back on as the volume increases especially in soft passages of classical or voice recordings. It is not as bad (or has no problem at all) through the headphones.

All sources have the same problem. I have cleaned all the pots and connection points. I have installed gold connectors and 12AWG speaker wire on one set of speakers (which made the condition worse in those speakers). So, I think I have eliminated all possibilities other than that the amplifiers themselves are not functioning properly. The 3240PE has preamplified output and return input that was originally connected by jumpers, but which I have now replaced with gold connectors.

My question is this: Would it be worthwhile to buy a stereo power amplifier and use the 3240PE as a preamplifier? If so, could I connect the power amplifier output back into the 3240 to take advantage of the A/B, etc. switches. If I do this will the signal from the power amplifier boost through the old amplifiers or will the old amplifiers get in the way of the signal from the new and cause the same problem? Is that clear enough?

Hawk
Jed:

NADs have a reputation of having a very strong pre-amp section in both their integrated amps and their stereo receivers, so I think the answer is yes, it would be worthwhile to use your 3240 as a pre-amp and add an outboard amp to drive the speakers.

This signal does not boost the old amp section of your integrated amp, which is bypassed and should be left unconnected. Instead, the pre-amp routes the signal out through the pre-outs and the amplifier amplifies the signal and drives the speakers, which are connnected to the new amplifier.

Thanks, Hawk.

So what you are saying is if I want A/B capability, I need to get an amp with A/B.

Jed

Hawk
Exactly.

Anonymous
In general, I agree with Hawk. I am sort of doing the reverse. I have a Carver CM1090 with a pre-amp problem I can't seem to solve. So, I bought a HK3475 (my old tuner was crappy) and am using the HK preamp to drive both the HK and Carver power amps to bi-amp my B&W DM640s.

One thing: many (even most) affordable integrated amps do not have a seperate headphone amp section. Most just tap off the main PA. Do your main speakers 'shut off' when you plug in the headphones? If so, it is very likely that the headphones run off your main power amp and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE AMP!

Your experience with changing the speaker terminal causing the problem to get worse, along with the fact that the problem is worse at low volume tends to indicate you simply have a cold (bad) solder connection between the amp output devices and the speaker terminals.

Username: Flaxton

Post Number: 6
I have an audiolab 800a which I use as a preamp and 2 Arcam 8p power amps which I use to biamp or is it monobloc. As the Audiolab is a bit clinical on its own the sound is warmer using the Arcams.

Username: Silveray

Post Number: 1
Hi. May I know is there any way to connect an integrated amp to a power amp if my integrated amp doesn't have any pre-out??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us