Cerwin-Vega AT-15

Username: Birdman3402

Post Number: 2
hey, new guy here. I recetly come across some C-W AT-15's for FREE! yeah... so i took em.. i have 2 problems... one of the units is missing a fuse (no problem) and a fuse cap-anyone know where i can find another cap to replace this one or maybe an ingenious other set up to fix it?

Problem 2: since both speakers sat for who knows how long the surrounds are pretty well.. shot.... still in tact but very brittle. any idea where t find new surrounds at a good price? and how complicated is it to do the repair? seen a guy on youtube doin it and it didnt look to bad but im sure there are things iwould need to know before i tore into em...

this is a copy paste, sorry just realized after i posted it that i was inthe home theater part not audio

thanks for any help

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14811

You can pick up fuse holders at Radio Shack. Just place "loudspeaker repair/surround kits" into a search engine and you should come up with several options. Parts Express sells kits and will do the service for you.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14916
Maybe Stryvn will chip in here, he did a set last year, I will buzz him to post.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1221
I think I re-foamed those old D-7's nearly 3 years ago now, Nuck. And they're still pounding for my son now.

Hey Andy...the refoam on those woofs is pretty easy. Mine were over 20 years old when I did them. Just take your time, clean up the paper cone as best you can with a razor blade without taking too much of the paper off the cone. Clean up the basket real nice and get to glueing. Glue the surround to the cone first and let dry completely before gluing to the basket. Make sure you cut the dust cover off the voice coil (with a sharp razor blade. You'll be re-gluing this back on later) and USE THE SHIMS PROVIDED TO CENTER the cone while you glue on the new surround!! Take your time and you'll have no problems. If I recall correctly, the refoam kit was around $40.

Good luck!

What have you got to drive the Vegas?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14917
Source for the re-foam kit?

Andy has a potato to power them, ala JV.

Post Number: 3
thanks guys.. and stryvn.. that was gonna be my next question... i need an amplifier or probably just a stereo lol.. i only got one unit hooked up right now cause i dont have a fuse or fuse cap for the other... but not sure bout the modle stereo.. but its a sony.. it pushes the 1 unit ok at its highest volume but leaves alot to be desired.. i read somewhere that they are rated at 400w.. is that right?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1085
Don't worry about speaker 'watts'.......
Overdriven / distortion kills more speakers with insufficient power than get blown up thru too much power.
Once you get 'em back to speed, you'll be able to tell when you are overdoing it by ear.

Post Number: 4
but i know ill need an amplifier of some sort what range amp should i look for? im not plannin on puttin them at full power because i know that it will take a toll on them after awhile.. lookin to put about 3/4 the power they can take.. any ideas?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14920
Any good quality amp with 30 watts should be fine.
An older Marantz can be good if you need to budget a bit.

Your speakers, once working properly, are rather aggressive in quality, and loud.

Volume, if not high quality, payback for very little input.

Party on!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14921
Oh, if you put them in a 'hard' room with lots of reflective surfaces, they may rip your ears off.

Post Number: 5
awesome thanks everyone... it may be a while before i can get the surrounds to fix them but hopefully soon... and they will be used for some partyin lol.. im sure ill be back here once i get the surrounds lol.. thanks again

Post Number: 6
as for the amp... somthing like this? a lil newer i imagine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Marantz-model-1060-Amp-Amplifier-Works-Great-/270565 693086?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3efef8d69e
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us