First crack at tube rolling

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3808
Got my new Gold Lion KT88s delivered today. Man, these are nice looking tubes! I haven't had a lot of time to try them since Weds are one of my busy days, but for the little bit I heard them today I can tell they're different from the 6550s I had in there before. The problem is that earlier this morning before they came in I swapped out the 12AT7s for a pair of 5751s I had. I actually that these are kicking up a bit too much gain in the amp - it's kinda lost it's "tooby" sound a bit. I'll swap back in the AT7s and report back. Oh yeah, I promised Nuck some pics too.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3794
I'd love to get into tubes, but I'm waaay to obsessive compulsive for that. I'd be switching tubes in and out far too often.

Not that I'm a "tube sound" guy, but there's some tube stuff out there that's fantastic. I've always had a weakness for the Manley Stingray, and recently heard some BAT tube (and SS) gear that I can't get the sound out of my head from. Maybe one of these days when I've got more money, time, and room for a second system.

The way I figure, vinyl's enough to keep my OCD side satisfied, and the Apple TV's enough to keep my simple side satisfied. A Yin & Yang thing so to speak.

Good luck with the tube rolling. It sounds like a lot of fun. In a way I'm jealous. In a way I'm glad it's not me

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2381
Stu,

You need a tournament in the DFW Metroplex area so you can really understand tubes' sound with my kit. Not that it is the end all but set up is good, where for example JV's is top notch and....

well you just need to audition.

David,

Once you move the Gold Lions in let it soak awhile then go back to your 5751s to see if it is a better match.

What drove your decision to work with the Gold Lions?

Cheers Gentlemen

P.S. Mine is very good because JV was kind enough to spend time in the rearrangement of the ASC tube traps to make it so for me.

Thanks and a tip of the hat to Jan!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3795
Mike,

I've heard Mac tubes several times, including your model amps. Very impressive. Not that its your kit in your room with your beer, but you get the idea.

I keep trying to convince people to play in dirrerent areas. DFW is one of those areas, for the reasons you state. The closest I got was College Station. A&M has a great Basketball arena.

I also try to get them to play in the Buffalo area for the sole purpose of getting some chicken wings. After living there for 2 years, I haven't had any good wings since; my taste for them is completely ruined.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3810
"I'd love to get into tubes, but I'm waaay to obsessive compulsive for that. I'd be switching tubes in and out far too often."

I hear ya Stu, I'm exactly the same way. I've owned the amp for just over 2 months and I'm already fiddling with tubes. I guess that's part of the reason I bought it in the first place.

My damned Jolida CDP is acting up on me now (still under warranty) so now I have to resort to a cheap DAC and laptop for source till I get it back.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14914
I have the Sony Playstation you can have as a cdp, Dave.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3811
I'm not sure I could get used to the remote.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1127
Sorry to hear you're havin' troubles with your CDP, just at the time you let go of the Apollo. If I knew, you could'a held on to it for a couple weeks.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3812
No worries George. I have the DAC for now, and I heard the Jolida customer service has a quick turnaround.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3818
An update... my first foray into tube stuff has been a bit of a letdown (to put it mildly). When things were working, the tube stuff was sounding great and I was having a lot of fun with it. But, first the Jolida tube CDP went on the fritz (it happends, right? and was still under warranty). Well, last weekend the Jolida integrated stopped working too! At first it was intermittent; I'd turn it on, cue up some music, and no sound. I'd either cycle it off/on again, or toggle inputs, and sound would happen. Then it became more than intermittent, no sound under any circumstances. I did all the usual trouble shooting - switching tubes, switching sources, switching cables, switching inputs... it's dead. I was so disgusted with these TWO pieces dying within a week of eachother that I contacted the dealer and he agreed to give me a full refund. Now it's time to circle the wagons for a bit and figure out which direction I really want to go.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1104
David::
This is the worst news possible. Now you're really screwed. BUT, the good news is the dealer is 110% and will apparently be doing business with you again.

And Jolida, should be taking that stuff apart to do a failure analysis. If this happened to them too much, they'd be 2nd sourcing for Sony or Bose in no time.

Is it true that you can get some of the benefit of tube by using a tube preamp and SS amp? If your goal can be accomplished by that route, you could avoid the power tube expense long term.

Stu::
I'd join you in the looney bin. I'm sure I'd have to buy matched pairs of tubes, and start swapping them for effect. That way lies madness.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3020
May I make a suggestion David? Your a man with great taste in music and that is the fast paced, in your face, metal music. Yet you seem to like the warmer sounding gear. Or at least the smoother sounding gear. You did the MAC thing and liked it, thats cool. Great sounding gear, but wheres the attack? The " I want to punch someone in the face" kick you in head timing? ( Don't beat up on me MAC clan, this is just my opinion). You did the older Bryston stuff which has since smoothed out a lot but was a big edgy for your liking? I am guessing their new stuff you would like, but meh, youv'e been there did that. You like the warm sound, which is cool. Then you went to tubes, which are cool but fussy. Finicky tubes!!! You need something with a touch of warmth, that has sick attack, and times with the best of them. Also, something that doesn't absolutely have to cost you an arm and leg. * Drum Roll * Enter Sim Audio.

I have recently heard Sim Audio/ Totem combo about three times in the last month. The new i3? Integrated with matching cdp. Also the entry level i1? with matching cdp. To my ears the Sim Audio is a touch of the warm side but with amazing timing and just plan out sounds fast! Although I am told the Sim Audio owner and Totem owner both hate each other, their gear actually sound amazing together. What I find with the Totems and rock music is that the Amp has to pick them up and get them going. The Sim Audio gear does that with speed and musicality. If I were you, based on the music you listen to, and the style of sound you like. Sim Audio would be my next direction. Just an idea.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3820
Leo:

Yeah, the dealer is a stand-up guy. I'm pretty impressed. He even offered me a full refund for the Gold Lions I recently bought from him. I noticed he didn't seem horribly surprised when I mentioned both Jolida units cacked out on me within a week's window. I guess quality assurance is still an issue there.

Nick:

I appreciate your suggestions, my man. I'm definitely leaning towards Bryston again. I like my old 3B, but for my 2 channel system I'd definitely require at least an SST or even a squared. I'm keeping my eyes open on Agon and CAM for some good deals. Sim is definitely on my list, as is Classe due to Nuck's suggestion.

For now I'm using a CA 840A in the interim for my music fix.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3021
Yeah the new SST or SST2 stuff is sooo smooooth now. Lovely. I finally got some pricing I will shoot you an email tonight. Cheers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3821
Cool. Thanks Nick.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3800
Simaudio is a great suggestion Nick. Sounds pretty similar to Bryston, except a bit softer and warmer. Great build quality and a 10 year warranty (last I knew anyway). I've heard them paired up with Totem dozens of times and always really liked what I heard.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3822
Good info fellas. Keep 'em coming.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3824
Right now just spending some time getting used to the 840A.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12553
Very sorry to read this, David. Great dealer to do the stand up thing, unfortunately he probably knows about the quality and still sells it, not good.

Sim, Bryston, the new Exposure S2 series is excellent, although perhaps not powerful enough for my power hungry ecoustics friends...!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3827
Thanks Art. It's all a live and learn thing for me.
I appreciate the recommendations from you guys...

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 913
David, there is no way to exclude your existing speakers from the conversation. You've rotated different electronics in front of them, and frankly I'm thinking you may not be as good a match for your Totem's as you think. Your speakers are the only constant in this equation. I don't know the right answer on electronics, but I would seriously suggest listening to Bryston or Sim or some other front ends with different speakers. "Attack" isn't just driven from the amp, it is from the combination of the amp and speakers working efficiently together. If one falls down, so does the other.

Food for thought anyway.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3829
Good point Chris. However, I have tried several different speakers with every new amp I end up dragging home. It's sorta a ritual, actually, and my wife now just rolls her eyes when she sees me walking aound the house with speakers, lol.

I have at home my Sttafs, MA RS6, Sierras, and until I recently sold them, Paradigm Studio 20's, plus a lot of other junk. I always end up going back to the Sttafs.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1109
A note about quality:
Some people say stuff like, 'It must have missed an inspection', or 'Quality Control was asleep when they made this one'. Both are not quite correct statements.
The person doing the operation is the one that insures quality. You simply Can Not 'inspect quality IN'. Quality is an inherent property of the construction, design, and parts selection.

That 2 pieces of gear from the same manufacturer 'cacked out on you' within days of one another and were probably made on different production lines is to me a real red flag. They are either trying to save lots of money by choosing poor parts, the design is faulty or edgy or, more likely, the person or team doing the assembly is simply not doing well by the parts and design they have been provided.

I would be interested in finding out what other manufacturers gear is being made on the same production lines and see if THEY too are having problems with quality.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3830
What's even more interesting Leo, is that the Jolida CDP is (I believe) a re-badged German CD player, or at least one modelled on said CD player and manufactured by Jolida. If it's a re-badge, then I guess it's just really my bad luck that two pieces of gear from the same manufacturer failed within a week of each other.

But if the CDP is manufactured by Jolida, based on this German design, then that to me indicates their manufacturing process is flawed, or like you mentioned, they're building these things with low quality parts.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1131
Wow Dave, just got on this thread and read about the woes but the dealer is the silver lining. You've got cash to start again and build better, stronger, faster, to coin a phrase.

I haven't actually heard Sim but have heard good things about it - sounds like it's worth seeking out an audition, even if you need to take your Staffs along with you.

It appears the rumors about Jolida reliability are ride - a shame, it was beautiful looking equipment and had a solid build.

Where did you get the CA840A - dealer loaner? If so - how long do you have it for?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3835
No kidding George. What a disappointment... the real drag is that I really liked the way my system was sounding - a lot. I know tubes aren't supposed to be the best amp for metal/rock/etc, but I look at it this way - what's inside the greatest rock amplifier ever built? The Marshall JCM 800... yup, tubes. There ya go.

Anyway, this whole experience has made me wary of two things:

(a) tube gear
(b) tube gear made in China

Unfounded?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3836
Oh yeah, to address your question, I picked up the 840A from a fellow CAM member. Got a pretty good deal on it. It'll do for now.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1133
I know tube gear is more effort than solid state and there is more maintenance cost but there are decent tube products out there they will last.
Personally, my dream equipment is the Bryston SST/2 gear. It's got the power, attack with smoothness to boot. How about Bryston SST fronted by a tube pre, like Audio Research?
Are you thinking integrated or separates?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3837
SST/2 stuff would be awesome.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1134
You've been spinning around it for some time Dave. You love the Bryston sound but were looking for something with a little less top end edge, a smoother sound and Bryston has done the homework for you in the SST/2. If you can scrounge the cash up by selling some of your excess, I think it would be it for you. Plus you've got the reliability and great price stability that Bryston offers. A BP26 paired with say a 3B-SST/2 and you would be in heaven. The only trouble is that even on the used market it will cost you about $6,000. Sell some gear - get focused and bite it and I don't think you can look back. Even a BP26 paired with a later model 3B-SST would do it. But look at me, shopping with someone else's wallet.
I'd love to do it myself but have no room to spend that kinda cash now.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3838
That's a lot of cash for me right now too George. I agree, though, that would be a nice setup.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14931
How about an 840C, and lash it to the amp in balanced?
That cdp is also a digital input/DAC, and is close to the Dacmagic in SQ, yes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3022
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/174225-_bryston_4bsst_19_silver_with_rack _handles__box___2400/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/162302-bryston_3bsst_black_19_inch_with_r ack_handles_1750_shipped/

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/174262-bryston_3b_sst2_pro__mint_conditio n_19_years_warranty_left/

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3840
I've read some sources say that the DAC in the 840 is identical to teh DacMagic, I've heard some say that it's different. I have read very good things about both the 840C and the DacMagic. The 840C is definitely an option. I really miss having a CDP.

Thanks for the links Nick. The 3B SST at 1650.00 is pretty fair.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1126
RE: 840c

Don't forget your Mogami Balanced cables.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2383
FWIW, and to add confusion for David, I like my classic rock including Zeppelin, Grand Funk, etc. better with tubes than with solid state. Fact is I like all of my music better with my MAC tubes and they are almost 50 years old. The cost of both of them, completely restoring to original, with new after market tubes, is much less than anything I could get new that would be comparable in SS or tube.

Add to the fact that I do not see me swapping out of them or upgrading them anytime in the future makes these amps a real value for me.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3842
Thanks for confusing me even more Mike. Just when I thought I had made up my mind. ;-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3023
wow....if I had the time and money to spend on audio equipment right now here is my purchase. About 9 grand worth of Bryston gear for 4200. B o i nN G GGgg onngGG

The pre amp is their best, and it has the built in DAC. Yoink!!

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/view_images.php?cat=Amplifiers&catnick=amplifiers &cfid=174345&image_id=1550638

Gold Member

Post Number: 3024
David. Theres your system. DAC/Wicked Pre/ Wicked Amp. Get the pen and check book out. LOL

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3845
I saw that this morning.

B o i nN G GGgg onngGG ! is right....

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3802
I haven't followed this thread to closely for some reason that eludes me at the moment. But I digress...

I honestly think the Simaudio gear will be right up your alley. The current stuff reportedly has more attack than it's predesessors - a very good thing. It still retains the warmth that Sim had in the past - another good thing. It's got great detail, texture, imaging, basically all the hifi stuff. It sounds great with Totem.

Personally, I think it's a no-brainer. Or should I say auditioning it is.

What you say about tubes, the Marshall amp, and rock music makes a ton of sense on paper. The real world is unfortunately different. Those amps aren't home audio amps. The tubes in them give them a flavor for the specific instrument. That flavor gets recorded, and if you have that same amp in your home, it snowballs. A friend had a Marshall amp/speaker rigged up to his CDP in college. Awfull. Loud and powerfull, but just plain awfull. His guitar or even a mic hooked up sounded great though.

Someone mentioned an Audio Research pre to retain the tube sound. AR is pretty un-tubelike in a lot of ways. Excellent spundng gear, but not a tube lover's dream IMO.

A name that keeps coming to mind is Manley. Their gear flat out rocks.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3803
Not that I thought you're serious about filling your room with Marshall amps.

The Greatful Dead used Mac amps in their 'Wall of Sound' setup.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3846
It's funny that you mention that about Marshall amps Stu, cause for fun in university we used to feed our home stereo into my Marshall rig for parties and it did indeed sound kinda like sh!t. But it was loud.... From a guitar perspective that amp was hard to beat, I wish I had hung onto it.

I've seen a few Manley Stingray amps on the gon lately, and even kicked around the idea with Nuck. Have you heard them?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3804
I have heard the Stingray. Very hard to fault. If it had a remote, phono section, didn't have the fiddling of tubes, and could drive a wider range of speakers, I'd buy one over the B60. In all honestly its a bit better sounding to my ears. And it kills me to say that.

I think it'll drive just about anything to a respectable level in a normal room. Ask a Manley dealer to be sure though. Not sure what'll happen when you hook it up to your speakers.

If you're serious about them, make sure you get the version with the ultra-linear switch and subout. They're the newer version, but not the Stingray II. Haven't heard the Stingray II. That version has a remote and one or two other new features. It reportedly sounds a bit better too.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 619
I've got a Yaqin CD3 tube buffer coming my way soon. I didn't even know about these things until I saw the Musical Fidelity tube buffer (used). Almost bit on it but didn't when I found out the tubes are soldered on and therefore permanent. What's the point if you can't replace the tubes? Especially if you buy used - if the unit is on 24 hours a day the tubes will be done in about a year as they are good for 10,000 hours.

So I opted for the Yaqin after reading so many positive reviews (CAM and other forums). It's cheap, and perhaps the easiest way to get into tubes is with a tube buffer. It'll be a cool unit to mess around with, and I'm very intrigued to hear if it'll kind of tame that harsh digital sound that I just can't seem to shake other than when listening to very well recorded CDs.

David, we like the same kind of music, so I'm definitely interested in hearing how your amp search goes. I might just be trading in my amp too as I'm beginning to wonder whether the issues in my system are not speaker related (Quad 12L2) but also amp related. I don't know how it'll all work out, but I plan on inserting some Audiolab gear into my system. Bryston might be ideal, but is simply too expensive.

Have you ever listened to Audiolab? It's definitely got it's share of detractors (and supporters), but I had the 8000S for a couple of days last year and was impressed, enough to convince me I had to upgrade my electronics. But for some reason I shunned Audiolab thinking that I wanted something a bit nicer and more well-regarded. Enter the YBA YA201 and Exposure 2010s2, but they just don't quite have the big sound the Audiolab had. I read an old post Frank made, he was comparing Naim and Krell, and said Naim is more about microdynamics and the interplay between musicians and getting all that right, while Krell was more about big sound and macrodynamics and that timing may not quite be up to Naim's standards. I'm starting to think my 2010s2 may be more like Naim than I'd like, and that maybe my speakers aren't the only explanation for the lean sound I'm getting. I wonder how much peak current matters here, as Exposure (and Naim) afaik don't have high peak current numbers.

So I'll be checking out the Audiolab (hopefully pre and power amp, only about $1,500 for the pair I'm thinking). I remember it being detailed, neutral, and big sounding with tight bass. Drums really stood out as just sounding huge and really tight. Someone I think at Zerogain mentioned that the Audiolab gets load damping more right than most amps, accounting for the great bass performance. The gear is pretty heavy and well built, with no frills. Perhaps in some ways it's a bit of a poor man's Bryston. Some will say it lacks soul, but certainly not when I heard it. I guess it all depends on the individual. The fact that Naim has so many ardent supporters drove that point home for me, as I just didn't like what I heard when I was able to compare it to Bryston, in the same room with the same speakers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3848
Dan, I had the first version of the Grant Fidelity tube buffer, which I'm pretty is actually a Yaqin buffer (the older version), it was kinda neat but after a week or so I kinda got bored of it and sold it. It was hard to tell if it was making any difference or not because when I turned it on, it would boost the gain so much that I had to immediately turn everything down. Not sure if this was intentional in the design or not.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 620
I guess I'll see what happens with the CD3. My impression is that the increase in gain is more subtle than what you report. Of course, we are talking about different models. Reading some reviews one gets the impression that the buffer really adds some tube warmth, while other folks have the impression that you had (they aren't sure). But I find that the majority of reviews are positive, both for the Yaqin and others like it (ie. Musical Fidelity).

I'm not too invested in the buffer. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. I also nabbed a pair of RCA NOS tubes off Audiogon to try out on the CD3 as well.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3849
Sounds good Dan. For what it's worth, I've read from a few sources that the new version of the buffer is much better.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3830
Any updates on gear, Dave? Just heard a BAT integrated (not sure if it had tubes or not). Such a great sounding integrated. Very Mac like, but a little less laid back in the conditions I heard them in.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3902
In fact there is Stu. I picked up a new tube integrated from a dealer here in Canada. It's a re-branded Yaqin amp sold by Grant Fidelity based in Calgary. It's 50w that does either EL34 or KT88, for now I'm running the stock KT88's (generic Chinese tubes). Because I've bought other stuff from GF before I got a really good deal that, to me, seemed pretty low risk.

How does it sound? That's a good question - the weather has been so good since I got it that I've spent maybe 5 hours listening to it. Coming out of the box, it's a heck of a lot more hefty and, seemingly, better built than the Jolida (not a feat by any stretch).

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3903
Oh yeah, all the BAT stuff I've seen on Agon looks neat, but it way out of reach financially. Still reading a lot about the Manley Stingray too... I even made sure it's wingspan would fit on my rack ;-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15010
Build back some tube savvy firt Dave. Gain some trust.
The Manley is great in so many ways...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15011
If I was gonna spend 2k on tubes, I would call Manley.
Old Mac aint in the same money league. Or in the same sound league, depends on who you read.
These guys are little spotty on tube supply, from what I read. But good ones are always on tap.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12685
I know a couple of folks with the Stingray and they wouldn't part with it for anything. It's a great amp...I still prefer the Mastersound amps, incredible resolution. However, it's more a matter of taste than one being better than the other. Post a pic or two of your new amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15013
Manley customers usually have proper spekers in place for the new amp. Dealers are pretty specific and good, from 2 visits to 2 different dealers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15014
Audio Physic were on one, I can't remember the covered speaker now.
Midsized floorstander, with mono Cary amps, then the Manley's, which was like calling in Bigfoot truck after the fodder has been immolated.
Two stingrays take up an amazingly large amount of real eastate.
After counting in the "neurotic comfort zone", a 12' 12' room becomes a bit unweildy.

Fucing back wall needed to be moved anyhow, right?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3831
Covered midsized floorstander - Vandersteen maybe?

That's a brand I've got to get out and hear. I hear nothing but great things about them, and from what I read between the lines they may be right up my alley.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 916
Glad to hear you've got a new amp to play with David. What are you using for a source ?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3905
Using my Jolida CDP, it's back from the manufacturer and working again, for now (knocking on wood).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15015
Stu, the 2ce standmount from Vandy is convincingly close to a Totem Mani-2, but without the drama.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3928
Dropped a matched pair of JJ 12AX7 in the Grant Fidelity today. What a difference! The problems with imaging/soundstage has largely disappeared. Also, before the amp sounded a little unbalanced; the right channel seemed a bit louder than the left channel. I could confirm this by swapping the speaker leads and the loudness would shift to the left. This has totally disappeared. Could it be that the gain on the previous 12AX7s was more in one tube than the other?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14885

Sure. Depending on where the tube was located in the circuit small differences in gain between tubes would then be exacerbated by the upstream circuits.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3929
So I'm not crazy then. Good.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14889

I didn't say that.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3931
But you were thinking it...

Gold Member

Pickering, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1153
Dave, I believe JV meant - he didn't say you weren't crazy....LOL. In this hobby, many would call us crazy. Check this out guys (20 minutes but it's worth the watch):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aU...mbedded#at=692

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3932
The link seems to be broken.

Can you post it again?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1154
Sorry - please try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs&feature=player_embedded#!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12712

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12713
That link has been posted on pretty much every forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1157
Thanks for the heads up Art; however, I don't frequent any other forums other than eCoustics and Canada HiFi. I saw it for the first time on Canada HiFi and thought I would share it. I connected not with the individuals but with much of what they said about the hobby. For those who haven't seen it, or don't frequent other forums - I recommend watching it:

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12716
There is a button to use to post a link, see 2 posts above I posted it for you.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 646
Honestly, I hope I don't end up like that. I won't end up like that. Thousands upon thousands of dollars, spent to eke out that last little bit of performance in a game of quickly diminishing returns. I've heard inexpensive systems that can put a smile on my face, and more expensive ones that just didn't (or did, but not to a vastly greater degree). Gotta keep it all in perspective. I guess we each have to determine what our own personal limits are. For some perhaps there are none. Forest for the trees I think.

It's definitely not about the music though. If the music was such a revelatory experience on these mega buck systems, once you put together a system that provided such an experience then why on Earth would you make further changes?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3933
If I had the disposable income to afford toys like that, then I guess I could justify anything. But I don't. Hence my reason lately on focusing on "budget" audio. If I can eek out 90% (or thereabouts) of the performance, or satisfaction, from a so called budget system compared to a high end one, then to me it's a win.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 647
I think if you focus on components that do what you want, and then in establishing synergy when matching those to other components, then on your set up (room, isolation, etc)., you'll probably get pretty close.

I'm looking for an amp with real guts and control, and speakers that provide a big sense of scale. I'll try to avoid moving to other similar components after that, assuming I'm happy with the result. My next move would probably be to something very different...perhaps a SET amp driving efficient wide baffle speakers with big drivers.

David, do you still have your Sttafs? My local dealer has a used pair. I might drop in to listen to them. I know how much you dig these things and we listen to the same kind of music. Not likely to buy though, as I tend to prefer standmounts.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3934
Yup, I still have my Sttafs Dan. They're my go-to speakers man. Whenever I buy a new amp, I always try out whatever speakers I have and I always go back to the Sttafs. I think a big part of it now is that I'm very, very used to the sound of them that anything else just doesn't sound right.

Alot of people would think that that a tube rig (I have a tube integrated and a tube CDP) would not be a good setup for listening to metal/rock/punk, especially with warm, smooth speakers like Sttafs would not work. I guess it's all a matter of taste.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 648
I'm not sure that I'll like tubes, but they are the next thing I want to try. I'm intrigued by Sugden amps too, and other SET designs. I've read that tubes don't have to sound warm and bloated, and that in fact the best ones don't. Some people really dislike solid state gear, saying the negative feedback they use degrades sound quality. It's all enough to at least have me wanting to hear the alternative.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12718
I've listened to the Sugden A21 SE and A21 on a number of occasions and they are always beguiling. Smooth and warm yet detailed and dynamic in all of the important ways. The SE is quick as well. My Sonneteer Alabaster reminds me of a cross between the Naim Nait XS and the Sugden A21SE. Sonneteer builds a great amp as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us