Nad c325bee info needed

Username: Johnnyd44

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone!
I just purchased a used Nad c325bee ,it's in good shape very clean almost new,sound is amazing
But i am not familiar with this amp,and afer 1hours only of playing with the volume at the 10 o clock position, the heatsinker are throwing an enormous amount of heat....my question is ....is this normal???
I used to have a 7125 receiver that was also doing this.
The amp is driving a pair of Paradigm studio 80.

Thanks for your help.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12467
The 325BEE runs warm and the Studio 80's are a somewhat difficult load. Keep the volume to moderate levels and you should be ok.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1054
Also, keep it in a well ventilated space.

To move a little air, I've experimented with an Intel heatsink fan that came with my CPU and ran it on a 9v battery. Very Quiet.

If you play it on the loud side, the music will cover moderate fan noise.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3126
Leo's idea is sound advice. When I had the Marantz SR-7300 I used a small heatsink fan connected to a 2-12v variable transformer as I had little ventilation in the cabinet. It did the job well and could not hear it from my listening position even at low volumes. Best to use it to draw the air out, not in or you will inject dust into the amp's innards.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3786
Use a good quality fan. I used a cheap one in my old cabinet and the noise it made drove me to distraction.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1057
Something like this?

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=5&lng=en

My last PC had 2 fans blowing IN, another pair blowing out, a pair of fans on the video card and Northbridge part of the chipset, another pair in the powersupply....1 full time and the other temp controlled and yet another as CPU cooler. total=9 fans.
It sounded like a Helicopter landing in my den.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help guys ,i wanna keep things simple so i was thinking of using one of those small clip on fans ,and use it to blow air in parralelle to the unit where the holes are on top, since the unit is empty under the heatsinkers(i can actually touch them by putting my fingers under the amp)it should create an outward draft in the unit.
Noise is not an issue .
What do you guys think?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14868
if you can get your hand underneath, then I need not recommend raising the unit to provide incoming air for convection, I was gonna go there.
Yes, a cross breeze will be effective, if there is somewhere for the warm air to rise away from the amp's home enclosure.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12469
I agree, Nuck. With good ventilation and with proper use, the unit should have no trouble. Enjoy

Post Number: 3
Thanks guys, the unit is already 3/4'' of the ground (i guess the good people at Nad already planned for this),but i will add little rubber pads to make it an even 1'', with the fan cross breeze i should be fine.
Worse comes to worst i could use it as a pre-amp to drive the amp section of my Yamaha ax-592.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14876
The NAD should not get hot after the venting, and I prefer the NAD to that Yammy, but that's just me.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1063
Be careful with fans. If the NAD is in a rack, open on 4 sides, the fan will help unless you interfere with the natural convection of 'heat rises'.
If the NAD is enclosed on 5 of 6 sides, like it would be in a cabinet, then blowing air IN may be a bad ides.
You might want to get a small thermometer and get sensitive to how hot your amp actually runs. If you blow air into such an enclosed space, you may actually interfere with natural convection, create 'dead' air which doesn't move much and thereby trap more heat at the unit.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1064
http://www.1001case.ro/images/products/big/amplificator-stereo-nad-c325bee-nad-i mage1-9547.gif

link to image of interior of the 'BEE. place small box fan on the vents above the power transistor heat sinks, blowing UP and basically sucking air out of the amp.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1065
http://www.stereo.de/typo3temp/pics/4ecdee20b7.jpg
maybe this link will work

Post Number: 4
The rack that holds the amp is open on all 4 sides and it's got a good 10'' of breathig room on top.
Is anybody familiar with the softclipping switch?
Should i leave it on all the time?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us