Replacement for KLH model 8 companion speaker

Username: Chas1

Post Number: 1
I didn't see a forum category of "vintage", so I'll try here.
The KLH model 8 is a tube FM monaural receiver that came with a speaker nicely balanced for the radio. The original speaker seems to have a crack or other flaw that causes fuzziness and distortion. Currently I have a plastic Panasonic speaker on it that came with a (pretty-good quality) plastic compact stereo mini-system. The sound is not too bad; same volume levels can be used, and the bass is at least as good, but there's an overall hollow feeling to the sound and some dimensions seem to be missing compared with the original speaker.
As you can tell, I'm not very knowledgeable technically, just know what I like to hear. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement (probably new) speaker. 65 watts is the output of the radio. Size can go up to large-ish bookshelf. If I'm forced to buy a pair then they would have to be on the cheaper side; in that case I might try and find the "multiplex" hardware that is supposed to turn the set into stereo. Anyone know if that's possible, and whether it works well?
I like the warmish reproduction of the original speaker but do not intend to repair or refurbish it at present.
Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1258
Greetings Chas,

There would be any number of brands that you could go out and listen to but I was thinking that a center channel speaker (sold separately) may be just what you need for this radio.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14734

There isn't much that sounds like the old KLH. It was an acoustic suspension speaker which has fallen out of favor nowdays. It was also meant for the sources of the day which had very little information above about 12kHz. That truncated upper frequency response, sealed enclosure bass response and the KHL's flavoring to vocals is what gave it the nice "warm" sound you like.

I doubt you're going to find a speaker that sounds like the original in today's market. Your amplifier is able to drive any speaker you find should you come across a speaker you like. You certainly aren't limited by the amplifier. Single speakers are most commonly sold as center channels speakers for a home theater system as JB has indicated. You would probably spend the rest of your life looking for the stereo multi-plexer circuits for the Model 8.

If you find nothing in your local shops, give Parts Express a call; http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm They might have a DIY system they can recommend.

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 153
Could the Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 be worth considering here maybe? Acoustic suspension, very warm sound, pretty efficient, and a distant cousin of the old KLH designs.

http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/Cambridge-SoundWorks-Classic-Model-Six-TwWa y/M/B0034ZZ5W6.htm

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14736

It's about as close as chas will come to the original.

Username: Jkent

Post Number: 1
An original Model Eight speaker will be hard to come by. Try reading my restoration manual here:
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/klh_8_klh_model_eight/restoring-t he-klh-model-eig.pdf

The classicspeakerpages.net forums are a good place to discuss your KLH Eight. There is a KLH section there.

It's a big file--over 11MB but will address your issues.

Any small 8 ohm speaker will be OK. You could use a Radio Shack Minimus 7 or if you could find a KLH Model 21 extension speaker that would be perfect.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I would like to discuss buying or fixing your Eight speaker. I also have 21 speakers for sale.

Post Number: 2
PS:
If the previous post is confusing, I meant the manual download is big--not the classicspeakerpages site

Forget about the multiplex adaptor. It's called the Model Thirteen and is very rare. There is one on ebay now for over a thousand dollars. I have one--it's solid state (not tube like the Eight) and kind of nifty because it allows the addition of a turntable and an "Aux", like a CD player or iPod. But for just good sound, I think the mono Model Eight can't be beat (IMHO)

Post Number: 2
Thanks much, folks.
Yes, Kent, I noticed your report on refurbishment of the model 8; very interesting. I'm going to take all this good advice under advisement. The original speaker was very good and very efficient for its day, but I've suspected all along that the radio was good enough to drive something a little better, or perhaps just a little more to my taste. I agree that it's hard to beat the model 8 radio. There is something about tube amps, tho maybe it's just because I grew up with them. I do miss not getting the AM ballgame broadcasts on it. I'll look into some of the suggestions for speakers and check back in at some point.

NJ

Post Number: 3
Bear in mind 65 watts is not the output to the speaker. Probably more like 5 watts or less.

I happen to like the original speaker but if you prefer a different sound, the recommendation to try a center channel speaker may work. Some are ported for higher efficiency and have an MTM layout, unlike the Eight's original full-range driver(s).

An old Radio Shack Minimus 7 (2-way acoustic suspension) would work but I'm not sure what your preference is. Maybe you could borrow a couple of speakers to try out.

Good luck.
Kent

Post Number: 3
Thanks again. I'm looking into all these things. I like the original speaker, too. You know how it is; you always wonder if you might like something else better. It's human nature and also a cornerstone of capitalism (divorce lawyers like it too, I understand).

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14816
It was all fun till you brought up the divorce lawyer thing...

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3094
Yeah, well look at the fun you're having now Nuck.

Accentuate the positive [place smiley here].

Post Number: 4
I sincerely apologize for my lame attempt at humor, and for any offense it might have caused! I don't really think divorce is funny; mine wasn't. I need to be more careful online. It was just the idea of that foible many of us have of always wanting to upgrade things or replace them with something new, and how world commerce seems to depend on that weakness... But once you try and explain or justify a joke you know you've flopped.
Cheers all and thanks again for the info,
Chas.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3096
Chas, I think I can talk for Nuck to say no apology is needed. I believe he was joking at your joke. And I joked at his. There are a bunch of jokers on this forum. As well as an assortment of other odds and ends [lol!]

Of course divorce isn't funny, but a little humour can help take the edge off I'm sure.

Post Number: 5
OK, M.R. Thanks.
Some months ago I tried to open a comic discussion on a bicycle forum, and got stuck in an awful mess; I unleashed all sorts of vituperation against myself, and then they all went after each other. That was why I was so gun-shy. You'd think I'd have learned from that, but wisecracks escape me in spite of my best efforts.
All the best,
Chas.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14823
Yeah well all the bicycle guys that I know are gun shy on divorce stuff as well, they were 112km away, it seems, at the wrong time.

Chas, this is the wild west, without swearing, post away!

Have no fear, post away with gear, music and file inclinations.
This is a small forum, bud. You will not gleen lights of illumintion here, usually, but we do have some nuggets.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us