Apples vs Oranges - NAD T741 vs Denon 1910

Username: Upsidedown

Post Number: 7
I know this is Apples vs Oranges, but I essentially have this choice.

Current system was primarily for music but in the past few year I have moved to watching more video. I have the NAD now, but am thinking of upgrading due to Video capabilities and sound decoding of more modern receivers.

Speaker setup includes B&W DM603 s3 in the front and DM601 s3 in the rear, and HSU sub.

I am well aware of how NAD rates power and have been an NAD user going back to the 3020. The Denon is rated considerably more than the NAD, but am wondering in real world conditions which one is considered to have more power.

The reason that I am thinking of upgrading now is that I am moving to Blu Ray.

I know that ultimately I will need to decide based on sound and features but would like opinions

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14706

" ... am wondering in real world conditions which one is considered to have more power."

My opinion is you are asking the wrong question.

Power is not something easily defined by simple watts per channel specifications. Such simple on paper, test bench numbers have little relevancy in the real world of highly reactive loudspeakers - the type B&W has specialized in for many years.

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/805bw/index3.html

Low impedance and high electrical phase angles require more than "watts" to sound good. While not outrageous in their demands the B&W 603's will require a stout power supply capable of a good amount of sustained current delivery while also doling out high voltage if you want loud volumes or broad dynamic contrasts. Without going into too much detail explaining how watts are a combination of voltage and amperage as determined by the impedance load, you need an amplifier that lacks one thing and supplies another.

You need to look first at whether the Denon has any manufacturer warnings against low impedance speaker loads. I suspect it does. If so, this is no guarantee the amplifier cannot drive your speakers to your satisfaction but it would put up red flags for most.

Next, you should, in the broadest terms, buy the amplifier rated at the lowest wattage for the dollar spent. While once again not a guarantee of anything specific this is typically an indication the manufacturer has put their money into unseen items such as (that previously mentioned "stout") power supply and good circuit design. If, by luck or design, that lower power, higher priced amplifier also weighs more than any other option, then the odds the power supply can deal with your speakers have just increased by margins that would make any Wall Sreet analyst's heart go flitter-flutter.

HT receivers are a highly comptetitive arena and a manufacturer must decide where their allotted dollars (or yuang) go in their product line. The inclusion of more connectors and switches with greater access to even higher numbers of circuitry options available on the sculpted back lit remote makes for fewer dollars available for a heavy duty power supply and good, neatly laid out circuits. If the lust for a higher number of ins and outs and Dolby this and DTS that's exceeds your more modest desires for the ability of the amplifier to adequately drive your rather difficult to drive speakers, then you should definitely not buy off the internet to save a few dollars. The odds you'll be picking up return shipping have just made someone's heart go flitter flutter again.

Username: Upsidedown

Post Number: 8
Thanks for your reply (and redirecting my improperly posted message). I expected a response similar to yours as only I will be able to choose which one sounds best for me.

Bottom line is that I have always been and "entry level" audiophile (I wish I could afford and sustain this hobby), but as i grow older and am listening less and watching more. I already have the NAD and am generally pleased with it (and purchased drom local dealer!)

Through a whole bunch of random but ultimately desireable circumstances the 1910 is an offer too good to pass up, so it is now in my consideration set.

The issue of the loads that the B&W present is definitely my concern. I only wish I could afford a higher end NAD or Cambridge Audio or something similar.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14711

A speaker with a more benign total load would be the better answer. I know it's difficult to get yourself beyond the B&W's but they make life difficult for any HT receiver.

Moving to a speaker with a less dramatic roller coaster of impedance and phase angle peaks and dips would open the doors to virtually any amplifier being capable of driving the speakers. That doesn't mean you would like the preformance of just any receiver but, if your budget is limited, owning speakers which demand a more expensive amplfiier makes for tough decisions.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us