Cerwin vega ls 12's

Username: Kennykeeball

Post Number: 8
I own a pair of cerwin vega ls 12's. Is it possible that after hard use they can not produce deep bass as when new? If I push in the speaker itself with my hand, its smooth and not scratchy or anything and they dont make any funky noises, but it just seems that the woofers are not putting out much bass. They do move like crazy though. I have my onkyo receiver set to full setting on the eq with the bass set at 8.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1237
The speaker is most likely fine unless the foam surround material is deteriorating. My guess is that any change you hear is caused by putting the speaker in a different location in the room, or in a different room altogether. If that is the case then try moving the speakers into a corner of the room where that low frequency thrives!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14703

"I have my onkyo receiver set to full setting on the eq with the bass set at 8."

Without presuming you've changed anything in the room, we need to start asking questions about what you have and have not done that might affect this change in bass response.

Obviously, the first question is, what has physically changed in the room or the system and when?

Have you moved the speakers recently?

Have you changed a component or cable just before you noticed this lack of bass?

Have you just now pushed the eq to full and jacked the bass control to "eight"?

My first reaction when people ask for advice on this problem is always a suspicion you have changed cables at some time and you now have your speakers connected in reverse electrical phase. In other words, you have one low frequency driver moving in at the same time the other driver is moving out. The two cancel one another and not much bass is heard.

Even if you haven't changed any cabling check your speaker connections anyway, people have had their speakers connected out of phase for years and assume they are correct simply because the speakers still make sound.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGk1Nbb6dLUkgBJxFXNyoA?p=how+to+connect+st ereo+speakers+in+phase&fr2=sb-top&fr=slv8-hptb5&sao=1

Red terminal on amplifier to red terminal on speaker and the cabling has one leg (conductor) marked in some way to help you track which leg is which at both ends of the connection.

Next on the list of possibiliites is room placement. Yes, shoving a speaker into a corner will increase the apparent amount of bass due to intersecting surfaces acting as a horn to increase efficiency in a specific frequency band.

Rooms also have what are called nulls (or voids) where the dimensions of the room cause a reflection of bass sound waves off the wall behind the listener. The long bass soundwaves travel the length of the room, hit the rear wall and then flip back into the center of the room and at some point the waves coming from the speaker and the waves coming from the back wall meet and they are out of phase. What happens when waves are out of phase? The same thing as wiring your speakers out of phase, the two waves cancel one another.

This cancellation also occurs at your listening chair if it is situated at the location where those waves meet. Moving your chair is the solution here. Cancellation can occur when a main speaker and a subwoofer cancel one another.

If nothing mechanical or electrical has been damaged in the system, then the physical cancellation of wave fronts is almost always the culprit when bass has gone AWOL.

Then the next question leads back to, what has changed prior to your noticing a lack of bass? Has the problem developed over time or was this a sudden occurence and the bass had been OK at some time but now is not? Has the bass always been weak or what prompted you to invest in an eq pushed to its limits and cranking the bass control to max?

Without more information there's not much more we can guess at.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12614
to answer one of your questions directly, woofers generally work better after they've been used for a bit. They need a bit of a break-in period when they are new, to loosen up the spiders and moving components in the speaker itself. Speakers will generally change timbre a bit once they are broken in due to this. It's why you shouldn't judge the sound of a speaker fresh out of the box. Play it for a while to break it in.

That said, if the speaker is moving, the coil wouldn't appear to be damaged, so I don't think the problem is in the speaker itself. It could also be you growing accustomed to the output. More of an issue with your perception of the sound, than the sound itself actually decreasing.

Username: Kennykeeball

Post Number: 9
Thanks guys. I think maybe its just me. I think Glass wolf is right. Im like that with my car audio too. Its just never good enough I guess as the saying goes. Its my first pair of CV's I got them for $150.00 a pair. The breaking in theory is true too. I noticed that with my subwoofer. It sounds alot better now than it did at first.
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses.

Kenny

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1238
One other theory Kenny - How often do you let the ringing in your ears subside???

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12621
LOL

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 978
How 'bout them speaker connections?
Bet Jan's rite........out of phase after a move.....

Ken......HAVE YOU CHECKED THIS? Just assuming he's a little hard of hearing!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us