Bose lifestyle 5

Username: Jenta

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 4
hi everyone i have bose lifestyle 5 media xentre with power supply usa made can iuse it without any voltage converter coz it says 240v input and 12v out put on the power adaptor and also i have bose acoustimass 30 series 2 sub which recently got burnt or something coz i plugin with wrong voltage without using voltage converter i didnt get much help from bose as they wanna charge me 700 dolloars to change the power board any kind of help will be appreciated thnx

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14757
Shitcan the whole Bose setup and shop locally for some better gear that does not require Bose voodoo and an engineer to change.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1223
Tough advice Nuck but so true!

Bose has you over a barrel jeenu. Any money spent on your systems speakers would go a lot farther on a better brand (like almost ANY other brand).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14761
jeenu, look down in subwoofers here, there are 2 super guys who will show you how to fix!!!

And again, hats off to those fellas helping Bose owners!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14674

"i have bose acoustimass 30 series 2 sub which recently got burnt or something coz i plugin with wrong voltage without using voltage converter i didnt get much help from bose as they wanna charge me 700 dolloars to change the power board"

Let's see, you did something entirely your fault that you were clearly warned not to do and therefore was exceptionally dumb of you to try.

And now Bose is not giving you any "help"?!

I take it Australia is a nation where you do not have to pay for your own stupidity.

The 12VDC output of the media center has nothing to do with the incoming voltage.

You must run the equipment at the correct voltage or it will blow up.

A voltage coverter is not good news for any sort of amplifier.

I think that covers your questions.

Now, you must decide whether you want to repair or replace the existing equipment. Bose is mid-fi at best, most far less expensive receivers and speakers will provide sound quality as good or better than Bose for far less money.

You will not, however, get the Bose look or in the case of the Acoustimass speakers the "non-look" of the Bose.

So you have to decide which is your higher priority, sound quality at lower cost or a particular style and easy name recognition of another brand. As you can see you will not find any support for the latter on this forum.

It is, however, your decision and I do get a bit tired of the relentless Bose bashing that takes place on this forum. It gets to the point you're telling people their kids are ugly and they have bad breath too.

Bose has never been known for giving a cusotmer "any help" in any material way. They have built their empire on quick sales based on name recognition and costly customer support. However, they do represent something that is virtually unattainable at the same cost from any other manufacturer.

What the customer wants is their business, you need to decide which you prefer from the options available to you and proceed with caution as no manufacturer will support customer ignorance in the light of clear facts when it comes to equipment abuse.

Stop blaming Bose for your mistakes and make a decision as to what is most important to you. Then live with that decision. You screwed the subwoofer, not Bose. If you now do not care for Bose and their customer support, then move on. But stop blaming Bose.

And everyone else, stop with the Bose bashing and just give sensible comments toward the posters' problems. They don't need to hear from you how stupid they were for buying Bose. Like you've never made a mistake before?! Take it down a notch or two. If people are happy with their equipment, it's not your place to tell them otherwise. If they're having problems, it's your task to help them get the problem resolved without interjecting your personal opinion of their priorities. Realize why people might buy Bose and accept their priorities are not the same as your own.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1225
There are no redeeming qualities whatsoever in the Acoustimass or Lifestyle series of "speakers" and head units for home theater use. Who can blame anyone for being so disappointed when they spend so much money and get so much crap and no customer service? The Bose company has done some amazing work in the Automotive business where their contrived sound can work very well in an absolutely horrible audio environment but unless you stand inside one of their in-store displays with the speakers 3 feet away and never notice that there isn't any bass and are impressed with the manufactured sound, STAY AWAY FROM BOSE!

BTW - Sony also has the same sort of reputation except they aren't any good in cars!

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12582
Now for a constructive post.

If you want a good alternative to the Bose setup for 5.1, take a look around for a used set of Energy Encores.
The Encore system was award winning when it came out some time back, and retailed for about $1500 for the 5.1 set. They should be able to be found for much cheaper now, gently used. I think you'd be very pleased with them.
If they are above your budget, take a look at the "Take 5" speakers.
You can add an AV receiver for about $300 new, these days.

If you want an all in one solution, Onkyo has some outstanding HTiaB offerings.

I really don't care much for Bose, myself. Overpriced, and under-engineered.

Post Number: 8
allright lemme clear one thing i am nt blaming bose at all okay i didnt knew abt voltage thing before if you cant advice to fix it den why dnt you keep your stupid advice with you i ask here for help nt for all this you. Thnx. Jag vigne

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12600
wat

Post Number: 9
sorry dat wasnt for you thnx for ur help

Gold Member

Post Number: 1234
Have you considered something looking for a used replacement?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14767
Buy a vowel?

Post Number: 10
can any one arrange sub power board i think dat is the only one need to be change i don knw much abt it any one with helpful advice i don wanna sell it or replace this sub thnx for your advice again i heard that mark can help me regarding this if you can read my post pls advice thnx.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14707

"Who can blame anyone for being so disappointed when they spend so much money and get so much crap and no customer service?"

As you point out Sony has the same sort of reputation for producting sub par crap (the sort of thing that isn't even good crap). As will Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz, Toshiba, Samsung and a half dozen other brands. Try to determine where the regional service centers are for any of those brands by trying to reach the national distributor on the phone or via internet. Good luck since most of those lines no longer have any regional service centers and their "customer service" has been replaced by simply exchanging in warranty items and ignoring all others after several weeks of frustrating attempts to speak to anyone with any authority who could actually solve a customer's problems.

Bose offers no worse service than most of the mass market brands and their availabililty and access might just make them a small step better at dealing with customer complaints. You can exchange a Bose product at the local tire shop.

I have no love for Bose products but you should recognize the average customer doesn't realize Consumer Reports if bogus and they have been provided a large, fetid sack of lies. If a client prefers the look - or, as I said, the more discrete non-look of Bose, then at least respect their decision and don't spit on their limited intelligence of other options. Anyone who repeats the same mistake over and over again will soon come to learn what Bose is all about on their own.

Mass market electronics have, for the most part, become disposable commodities. There's not much good to say about any of them so let's not single out Bose for being just as bad as the rest.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14708

"i didnt knew abt voltage thing"

I'm sure Bose didn't know you didn't know. That's why they put those stickers on the back of their equipment. So you both know what they know.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us