Dedicated cd player vs dvd player as a transport to Dacmagic.

Silver Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 228
I was told that having a dedicated cd player vs dvd player as my transport wont make much of a difference in sound when connected optical to my dac.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 3075
Okay then.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3760
Only one way to find out.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14764
I hve used several dvd players as a feed out, and have come to some conclusions.

Walmart stuff does not work.
Oppo stuff is very good, the 80 plaayer is good and can be had cheap.
My MC drive (actually a Pioneer) will play anything, nd put ot out in HD
Rega uses a 20$ laser in all players
I have had HD playback in a 50$ dvd player, the issue is always in playback continuity, ie: it does not stall or lock up.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 877
It really depends on the transport quality, and the implementation of the optical output on the individual player. My experience is that there is little difference in low-mid fi cdp's as a transport vs a decent dvd player (like an Oppo)....but that's just my experience with the players I've tried. And I typically use the digital coax out not the optical out.

I guess my advice would be not to buy into generalizations either way. If you can, test them for yourself before layout out the cash.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14774
As I understand it, the optical is a copy of the SP/DIF.
Things depend on a powered optical engine(which I have). Nick?

Although both subject to jitter, the DAC is there to cover that.
A shared clock is available for the Bryston DAC(upcoming), which can be wired to the player clock by some techie(me).

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 3011
"It really depends on the transport quality, and the implementation of the optical output on the individual player."

Couldn't agree more Chris.

"As I understand it, the optical is a copy of the SP/DIF"

SPDIF connectivity comes in two forms. Toslink(Optical) and Coaxial. Is there a sonic difference in either connection? Yes, but bare different results depending on the application. On dedicated players such as a Blu Ray player or DVD player most Coaxial connections will perform better than Optical due to the fact that Optical connection tends to have lower bandwidth levels which could create smear making the receiving device (AVR) have to work harder to recover the digital clock from the signal. Which in turn could cause more jitter.

Where Optical connection is clearly better is when using PC based audio to any receiving device such as a DAC or AVR. None isolated PC based audio has a tendency to create a lot of electrical noise. Optical connection was designed to eliminate ground loops and electrical noise making for a better connection via PC based audio systems like Media Centers, Extenders, PC's, Music Servers and so on. This is one of the key reasons why audio companies like Bryston and MBL which make some of the best DAC's on the market ditch Coaxial and go with Optical connectivity. Having a dedicated SPDIF connection on the PC is key too as well as the Transport used of course.

A good DAC with strong computing like the Bryston DAC mentioned should take care of any jitter.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1125
Interesting thoughts on the optical vs. coaxial choice. I may just have to experiment with my PVR connection to my AVR now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3012
Definitely George. Let us know if you can hear a difference.

Just to correct to myself - Pulled out another Bryston DAC yesterday and it has every connection possible. Optical, COAX, BNC, AEU,RS232. Wow. They didn't skimp out on anything.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14813
Upload

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3773
Is that your setup Nucko?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3013
lol nice pic. Good photographer. My setup Stu, but his DAC. I have one coming as well. To keep. Technically, that is the same setup as Nuck. So, would that make it his setup? I guess it is. Yes it is.lol.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3774
I'm jealous. You both suck.

Why are you using optical?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3014
Just testing. That Media Center I built is actually owned by a buddy, mine will be a new black one I am about to build. Will post pics. Matches the Bryston equipment.

I used Optical and USB Stu and I dunno yet...its close. I will have to do more testing in a few weeks. But in a short time I think I still enjoyed the Optical more. Both are very different. More playing to come from both Nuck and I. Nuck's arrives Thursday at his door step. Can't wait for him to hear it.

Also tested USB from my laptop which was the worse, used the Apollo from the Optical and Digital RCA out with similar results and then USB and Optical from the MC. All with different results.

I must say though, all of it sounded fantastic. If there were ever a Rega DAC made Stu, that catches your eye and price range? Move on!. Save Longer. lol. And buy the Bryston DAC. Forget its Bryston for a second, and that I am a Bryston fan...this is simply the best source I have heard yet.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3777
Now that I think about it, I don't think there should be any difference between optical and coax on the BDA-1, as the BDA-1 reclocks the signal.

The USB input is limited to redbook (44.1 or whatever it is) and won't do high-rez. I think they're working on a software upgrade that'll do high-rez.

There's a dealer in Manhattan that is authorized for PS Audio, Simaudio, Rega, Arcam, and one or two others that make DACs that get a lot of press. When the Arcam and Rega DACs come out, I wonder if they'll have all the DACs to do a side by side comparison. I hate that dealer - the one who used to charge for auditions - but it would be worth putting up with them to hear them all side by side. I won't pay for an audition though.

If they have one I like, I'll buy it from someone else, just out of spite. That's how much I hate them. Chris Malloy would probably do the same to them.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3778
Since I've recently become a full time grad student again, maybe I'll take out some student loan money and get a BDA-1.

Unethical? Yes. Would I regret it? Not a chance.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14814
While we are working on compatability for various codecs, it seems the MC and »BDA-1 plays PCM and DD just fine.

When I get home and compile notes with Nick, will post the chatter between us and Bryston engineering with the straightpoop.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 892
Nick, I wonder how much of the difference you are hearing between optical, digital coax, and USB are cable differences and how much are how the DAC processes and implements those output streams ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3015
"While we are working on compatability for various codecs, it seems the MC and »BDA-1 plays PCM and DD just fine. "

Indeed. The Bryson does not do surround sound through the Analogue outputs which from what I read, and am told from Brystons Mike Pickett, is very normal. It does surround sound through the Digital Output (Cool that it even has that) but doesnt decode it, just pushes it through as PCM. Which is fine. A normal function of an External DAC it seems. Learning curve for me though. It shouldn't decode Dolby Digital but the MC automatically depending on the track will downmix to PCM when detecting a Two channel signal, which allows the two channel pcm to come through the Bryston just fine. Only tested on two DVD's though. I am certain DD HD would not.
Sorry Nuck if I posted any straightpoop on you. hehe.

External DAC's I have learned a lot about, but am still learning.

Chris, could be both?. The main difference was USB to Optical. Stu is right, the Bryston re-clocks so RCA and Optical should sound the same. Could be fun to play with cables as well, but USB to Optical had clear differences in sound,but both were very good.

Stu I was able to get 44.1 and 48 to work perfectly via USB, and on 48 it seemed to upconvert but to what? I think those were the only two samples provided with the Bryston USB driver that installs. Optical allowed me on the Media Center to go ALL the way up the scaled to full 192/24. You can just simply leave it at 48 or 44.1 and just press the upsample button on the front instead however.lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14818
Hmmm..the little Asian DAC accepts 48 HDCD and ups to 192/24(advertised), no options, that's what it does.
The unit did play DD via USB from the file(and player), but did not do so in a linear fashion. Example, 'Clapton Crosroads ' Disc2...Joe Walsh (with his amaxzng shoes, and band).

The system was not settled in pcm 2ch, as selected, but wavered between whatever channel mix. It was hugely distracting.
Playing this same selection on the Bryston tomorrow will shed more light, at least for this nuck.

I must apologize to Abe for killing his thread. There is a perfectly good Bryston thread on the go...If Abe gets anything from this, then I owe him a beer.

Honest Abe!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3016
lol Sorry Abe. I get so excited.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14820
A brief message while Nick handles his excitement..new baby soon and all...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us