Please help me match speakers with my HK receiver

Username: Adam60191

Post Number: 2
Hi Guys,

I'm in need of some good options for speakers to best match my Harman Kardon AVR230 http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/harman-kardon-avr-230/1707-6466_7-30648814. html
to some cheapish speakers, shelf, floor, used, new, old models etc everything will work, it's just a secondary system and will only run 2.1!

I would say anything up to $300 can be spent on Ebay or other! Mainly going to be used for music, some movies/tv and occasional video gaming!

Have been looking Wharfedale 8.3, 9.1, several Jamo's but still i'm blank!

Hope somebody have some good suggestions!

Have also looked at something vintage like Bang & Olufsen Red lines, are these any good? They look great which will also be a part of my decision, but mainly sound of course!

best regards

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1220
Greetings John,

Have you listened to any of your choices? your opinion on what they sound like will ultimately be the most important one. The B&O's may be perfect if you enjoy listening to them.

Post Number: 3
yes, have heard the Dales and enjoy their "warm" sound.

I also do enjoy the Bang & Olufsen, while they might not be as well performed compared to price they do have a special tone my ears apparently like! Does anybody have any knowledge on these? I see certain on Ebay/CL, RL2000, RL60.2, RL140 etc etc. if they look well kept could i consider them reliable without having to worry about foam rot etc?

Post Number: 4
Their is a pair of Wharfedale Rosewood online for 299.00 for the pair! Free ship. Also keeping my eye on a pair of KEF UniQ Q50 + Jamo E680, have heard them all and woudl buy them all........but can't :-)

Username: Abaddon65

Corpus Christi, Texas

Post Number: 2
I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR230 I use JBL Floor Speakers
Each one cost me around $149ea and they sound awesome
But I am getting ready to replace them with Bose Double Cube Speakers If I Can find the right Speaker Wire since I lost the original
bose speaker wire when I moved Hope This Help

Gold Member

Post Number: 1221
I would strongly recommend bailing on the Bose!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1222
John,

Most, if not all speakers are subject to various kinds of wear and tear. Check the surround material of the speakers that you already own, hook them up and play them to your hearts content. What have you got to lose!

Re-foaming speakers is not a huge deal cost wise and well worth it with any decent speaker.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14760
If you see a pair of PSB B25 speakers on stands, look at those if you like bass.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14677

"I also do enjoy the Bang & Olufsen, while they might not be as well performed compared to price they do have a special tone my ears apparently like! Does anybody have any knowledge on these?"

I sold the Redlines in the 1980's. I can't say anyone familiar with the sound of live music ever thought much of the B&O speakers of that time. They do, however, possess a "special" sound that appealled to a very small minority of buyers and their flexibility in mounting positions made them a passable choice for clients needing less obtrusive speakers.

The caveat with any B&O product - and most especially those more than ten years old - would be B&O's total disregard for supporting their products. You won't find any parts available for these speakers and should they be damaged or in need of repair, you will suddenly own a pair of very expensive bookends. As I remember, the Redlines did provide a conventional two wire input connection and you are not tied down to the almost impossible to find B&O DIN typer speaker connector. If you just can't tear yourself away from the Redlines, make certain you can make the connection to your amplifier.

Overall, I would advise against purchasing the B&O speakers.

Otherwise, you should have looked further down the listing of topics; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/535728.html

The HK receiver should be a decent match for just about anything on that list if ultimate sound quality is not your highest priority and cost is. No matter what your priorities, you'll still be better off buying speaker with a manufacturer's warranty and support than buying used and doing without.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us