Please help with amp advice

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 70
I am considering the purchase of a B&K ST1430 3 channel amplifier.

I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this product?

I have Kenwood VR5700 A/V Receiver to power the two Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 surrounds.

I will be using this amp to power the Wharfedale Diamond 8 center and Diamond 8.3 fronts. Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I believe I am getting a good deal on a used one but I have little time left to buy.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 713
i actually have heard that unit and it is very
nice.

b&k makes well built products.

and have read a few very favorable reviews on the unit.

should work nice.

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 72
Kegger

Is there any benefit sonically speaking to the types of connections I use. Specifically bare wire, spade, or banana plug?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 736
in my oppinion no!

as long as anyone you use has a tight solid connection.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 120
Yep, I agree with Kegger. Bare wires have to connect to something in the end, whether it be the speaker terminals themselves or banana/spade plugs. Adding another chain to the link isn't going to improve anything.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 585
Newbie--

B&K makes fine amps, but unless you are getting significant clipping and hearing the distortion in your speakers from your Kenwood receiver, there will be no real benefit in buying the amp.

But if you are playing loud and there is starining and distortion the B&K should remove that problem.

The main reason to use banana or spade plugs is for convenience. The incredibly miniscule resistance of a spade lug or banana plug will have no audible effect. People with the highest quality speakers often use banana plugs just to insure a tight connection (possibly reduce oxidation or sulfide formation) and because the often change speakers and plugging in banana plugs is very convenient.

There are generally hundreds of feet of wire in your receivers and speakers. A banana plug will have no audible effect.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Hundreds of feet? How big are your reciever and speakers?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us