Luxman drive mechanism

Username: Konoyaro

San Francisco, CA United States

Post Number: 1
My once trusty Alpine/Luxman D-105u tube output CD player has recently crapped out. The part that has failed is apparently the drive mechanism. I'd like to try to repair this myself but haven't found much info on the web about replacing a drive. Assuming it's possible to do by myself, where would I find the components?
Any info would be appreciated.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Replacing a drive mechanism in a CD player is a job that requires special, and not inexpensive, tools and test equipment. There is also a level of knowledge that is required as to how to interpret the information these devices are providing. The job is somewhat similar to rebuilding the engine on a Jaguar when the most you have ever done is change the oil. It's not an impossiblity but not a job for first timers as a rule. By the time you have purchased all the required tools and test equipment you could have easily purchased a very good CD player with the advances of many years since the Lux was new. And unlike Jaguars, the price of a good CD player is falling with each new model year. The reason for this is planned obsolesence, it isn't nice but things are not going to last forever anymore. The job may be more like repairing a twenty five year old water heater, just admit you got your money's worth out of the old player and move on. Save the Luxman as a paper weight if you must but go buy a new CD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us