Denon 2200 and Tommy Sacd

Unregistered guest
I have a Denon 2200 universal dvd player that works fine. However I have gotten 4 copies of the Tommy Deluxe Edition(sacd)and it will skip during different places on all the discs. It will even skip on different places of the same disc. All other dvds, sacds,cds,dvd-a work fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 176
Ednmod,

I don't have Tommy so can't comment about that but I'm having a similar problem with a Beck DVD-A. Actually, the Beck won't even play beyond track 2. Waiting for a replacement to come in to see if it is a disc problem or a Denon tracking problem.

Does your local audio salon have a 2200 you could try the Tommy disc in to see if the problem happens on a different player?

Unregistered guest
Ghia,

I do not have the Beck DVD-A. You can get firmware discs in order to update your machine. These discs have only been for DTS problems. I faxed a letter to Jeff at Denon about my problem. If you want to get those updates for your machine go to audioholics.com. Go to the news archives, at the bottom of the home page then go to May 2004, and then click on Denon firmware. You will be able to fax in a form provided to get the free updates

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 673
hey ednmod thanks for the link several of us on
this board run the 2200

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 193
Thanks, Ednmod!

Ritchee
Unregistered guest
Hello Ednmond,

I'll try my best.. my english is not my 1st language..

We have the Denon DVD-220 at home and in march I bought to my father Tomy The WHO SACD.. We were happy because .... we already heard Dark side of the moon on 5.1, paul mccartney band on the run/venus and mars and it was awesome.. After several listening of the discs, we were experiencing the same problem as you.. We even return the disc to HMV and unfortunately our SACD-player did the same thing..

After this, we decided to return back the player to the store to get a new one! Its a good store, they gave us a new Denon 2200 without any questions!

The new player did good a lot of time but now, I was listening to TOMMY and it did the same thing.... as usual!! I think it's a weakness in some disc... but also the player.... I have the solution to the problem..

It is quite simple, there is an amount of heat.. Put a fan on it and your CD will play very well.... I swear!! That's what I just did and now it goes well

Username: Ednmod

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 2
Hi Ritchee, I have a stupid question. Where are you putting the fan?

Ed

Ritchee
Unregistered guest
In front of the machine while playing the Tommy SACD... that seems to be stupid but it works.

give me feedback on it!!

Richard

Bronze Member
Username: Kalda01

Post Number: 44
Where can I get details on what problems the DV-2200 firmware update is attempting to resolve ??

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 3
It is a fix for DTS Alien special edition and a Diana Krall, cd in DTS. Go to May archives of Audioholics.com to get a form.

Username: Phaedrus

Post Number: 1
Hello all,
I also have the Denon 2200 but I have a different problem. Mine has trouble with a certain DVD-R. It stalls out. This same DVD-R plays fine on other players. A technician says it may need a firmware update as well. Any ideas? Thanx.

Phaedrus

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1749
joeN i have both the denon2200 and the pioneer 563a.

got the pioneer first then found the denon for a good price.
i was going to take the pioneer back because i had the denon
but i had to keep the pioneer because the denon had issues
with copied media.

my pioneer plays every disk i throw at it, but the denon does not
like most copied dvd's i've tried on it. dvd+ or dvd- !

have no idea if firmware fixes anything. never got any real awnsers!

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 5
The only firmware updates that I know can be found at Audioholics.com. Go to the bottom of the home page and click on View Archives, then click on Week of May 2 and then click on Denon DVD Player Firmware update Available. I installed the latest firmware in the spring and it helped with my issues.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I installed the latest firmware for the 2200 player, and depsite the fact it was supposed to only fix issues related to DTS, I am now able to go thru the first 4 tracks on the TOMMY cd without any skipping (5.1 playback).
The 5th track and onward are non-platable.
stereo SACD playback works just fine.
I also have a problem playing the last track in Gaucho.
DVD-audio plays fine with a few discs I tried so far.
I suspect the problem has to do with the firmware, as the problem with TOMMY did improve a bit when I upgraded the firmware.
Wonder if there is a way to get help from DENON.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
What is the latest firmware version number that anyone has installed ?
The page at http://www.audioholics.com/firmware/
does not have any form to request the upfate, but rather the actual file for downloading.

Unregistered guest
hi,
My dvd 2200 region 1 player has a different issue. I hooked it up to my infocus x1 DLP projector through component video connection. Not being a native speaker, I watch movie with subtitle on. With that on, when dialogue is displayed on the screen the video signal to the projector keeps getting lost and come back in few seconds by itself. It doesn't occur until it plays a DVD for 10-20 minutes. Onwards it happens every few minutes and I have to turn subtitle off , then the problem disappears. I wonder if anybody has experienced this type of issue.

Unregistered guest
Wow thanks for the info on the firmware update. This fixed my skipping Peter Gabriel SO SACD disk as well as problems with skipping of Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 2 disks.

smogdog
Unregistered guest
My DVD2200 has a combination of problems. Approx one hour into any movie/concert tiling and or audio skipping starts. I removed the top of the player off during one of these episodes and found the transport "laboring"because it was too hot to touch. I fanned the transport for a couple of seconds and the unit started to play normally with no more skipping. There are no ventilation holes anywhere in the case to allow convective cooling, so I may attatch a CPU fan in the back to pull air through some holes that I am planning to drill in the sides of the case.

This unit will not recognize standard CDs most of the time from a cold start. Once I play a DVD or SACD I then have no more problems for that sitting.

I have tried to contact Denon via email twice and have not received any acknowledgement that I even exist!

Through the years I have owned three Denon AV receivers AVR 800,3200 and at present a 3805, I guess you have to own a 5805 and a 5910 to get any response.

Username: Gm7cadd9

Hollywood, CA United States

Post Number: 7
I have had similar problems recognizing different formats. If I play a dvd (video) then go to SACD I CANNOT for the life of me get it to play in surround, for some reason it defaults to stereo...I have to fully power off the player and turn it on for multichannel SACD.

Most all SACDs play just fine, the system does start to overheat after a while, but even totally cooled off I have issues with the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD, I can get about 4 songs in before it freaks out...different spot each time...for some reason that disc makes my player work overtime and overheat...its about time for a new SACD player anyhow...my first generation sony has about had it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us