Archive through February 16, 2010

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14330

I don't allow my dogs to p!ss in the house but they do it anyway. Particularly when it's 13 d@mn degrees in Texas!

What's your problem with scripted windows?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2579
­
The little link button didn't work for me at all until I just now retried it. I see it does exactly the same thing I was doing manually -- repeating the URL after the comma. You can do the same thing, only type in a message instead of repeating the URL.

It's time to get your HOOTERS 2010 CALENDAR today!
­

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2783
Well thanks John S (btw, nice to see you) but that calendar wasn't what the name suggested to me.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2580
­
Nice to see you again M.R.

I don't understand, don't you like owls? UploadUpload

Larry, I will guarantee you that the remote switch was done with the full knowledge of the owner -- no doubt to placate one of their Big Money Delberts. They didn't think to switch the batteries because they were too busy looking at the Big Picture, but the devil is in the details, as they say.
­

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2019
Well, tomorrow's the big day. If the owner-mope doesn't call me by noon, I call him and say that the remote has to be in his shop by Tuesday afternoon, or I put a hold on the credit card and file a fraudulent practices complaint with the Better Business Bureau.
Y'all are quite right - this was a deliberate act of theft, and not, as the owner pleads "an accident." Bull tahgah! Then again, even with my markings on the unit, if he can't produce it, well. . . .
I thought it interesting that, when things got a tad hot, he brought in his beefy son-in-law to "ride herd" on the negotiations.
I really hate fights - but this is one that I have to win. . .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2786
Grab a local Hell's Angel to accompany you. It may cost a carton of beer, but he should be able to negotiate a full refund, new amp, cd player, speakers and home theatre set-up for you. Good luck Lar.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2581
­
Hells Angels in Naples? Unthinkable my good man!
An attack dog lawyer would be more effective, but unfortunately their fees amount to more than a carton of beer.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14337

"Well, then I tried to "fire up" the remote. It was dead. I opened the battery compartment - to find some el-cheapo dead batteries, where I had just put in new batteries. Hmm. . .then I checked the compartment to see the markings I'd secretly put there. NOPE. This was NOT my remote! SIGH.
Called the mopes, who'd already gone for the day - so will march down in the ayem and confront them. Why did they switch the name tape? Where is my remote?"

" ... this was a deliberate act of theft, and not, as the owner pleads "an accident."

Well, Larry, having worked in several shops where we handled remotes I can tell you there would be several reasons why the remotes got switched - none of them amounting to a deliberate act of theft. Why would the shop commit a deliberate act of theft with a remote? Wouldn't they likely aim a bit higher than a remote if they were interested in theft?

It amounts to carelessness or possibly miscommunication on the part of the shop but elevating this to theft is a pretty serious charge. Just stop to consider the repair rate of most NAD AV receivers, and that this is probably the only NAD service center for many miles and then think about how many NAD receivers share the same remote codes if not the same remote itself. I can easily see a technician picking up your remote in order to check the functions of another remote and the two units being swapped if the tech did this and then got called out of the shop for some reason. Possibly the tech had several NAD units that were cooking on the side to make certain they were repaired correctly, a remote could have been misplaced on the wrong unit and your's went out the door because the tech was rushed to get a unit back to someone. There really are a dozen reasons why this might have happened and theft wouldn't be one of them.

When you have a dozen NAD remotes in the shop they all tend to blend together. This probably is a case of not paying attention on the part of a technician but shouting theft is going a bit far IMO. And guaranteeing the owner was complicit in the deliberate act of theft is really going too far.

Attention all an@l retentives and conspiraracy kooks, wear your club membership badge on your shirt when you start these conversations. That gives the rest of us some prior knowledge when you walk up to us.

Sorry if that offends you, but this is rising to the point of torches and pitchforks pretty quickly.

You've had a weekend to stew about this, Larry, now it's time to just think rationally. Yes, you've been inconvenienced but really that's all. And I suspect the owner has already had a talk with the shop staff about this.

You say this shop has been in business since 1957, that doesn't sound like the sort of place that goes around stealing from customers - and certainly not remotes. Why not check out their record with the BBB before you talk to the owner again? That would give you more ammunition should the shop be running on suspcious grounds and tell you more about the dealership's reputation.

"I really hate fights - but this is one that I have to win. . . "

It doesn't sound like this needs to become a fight. Maybe the hefty son in law was the shop manager?

For goodness sake, Lar, we're talking a remote here and one weekend when you didn't have music.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2020
Jan, et al - good points all. I did check out the shop with the BBB on Friday, and there are several complaints against it, mostly in recent years. They wouldn't be very specific, though, without my going into their ofice. Hmm. . .
Yes, sir, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. If the remote did not have a bright blue strip of masking tape on it with my name and tele number, I would easily believe that it was a simple "mistake swap."
But the mope - whoever it was - had to deliberately strip the tape off of my remote and put it on the inoperable one - surely NOT an "accident?"
So - I'll check in with the shop this afternoon - and post the results later today. DOUBLE SIGH.
Like you and all dawgs - I really, really hate to be skrued!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14340

Just to repeat the idea one more time; "Why would the shop commit a deliberate act of theft with a remote? Wouldn't they likely aim a bit higher than a remote if they were interested in theft?"

Additionally, if the "mope" responsible for this fubar knew the remote returned to you was inoperable, what would the motive be for returning an item you would certainly find to be inoperable? The tech is going to have a return on their hands no matter how mad you do or do not get and no tech is deliberately returning defective merchandise as they are paid on a commission against how many units go out and stay out. The idea this was a deliberate act of theft just simply does not make sense. What would the tech or the shop have gained by doing so with a remote control?

Try to answer that before you talk to the owner.

You have not been "skrued"! You've been inconvenienced.

With a near 40 mile roundtrip to pick up the receiver, why didn't you ask to make certain everything was working properly before you left with the inoperative unit? Any shop should gladly do that when the client is not a next door neighbor. C'mon, Larry, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2021
Points all well taken, Jan.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 78
Hi

Does anyone of you know the new NAD C375BEE amplifier. My NAD combo C162 C270 works well, I think it was MR that recommended it few years ago, but four years for a model is sufficient, I do not want to wait until problems like Larry has now start
Another option is the new Peachtree NOVA, a digital inputs and one tube at the pre stage amplifier . Price of the two amplifiers is similar but the NAD has no digital inputs

Hope I will not receive the new NAD with Larry's remote...

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2022
The end is in sight. MAYBE.
Scenario today. Called the store about 2:30 and asked what was happening with the NAD. The owner answered and seemed confused. I explained. He said he'd go back and talk with the repair mope. On hold for about five minutes, then he was back saying that "Bob is just now trying to get ahold of the man who "may" have your remote. I'll call you back.
Well, 4:45 came around, and the shop was to close at 5, so I called and had to go through two people to get to the owner.
"Oh, I have good news. Your remote will be here tomorrow." I tried to get some sense out of the lame story he told, and finally gave up. Something about a dead remote, and somebody getting "confused" and sending out the wrong unit. . . .and on and on.
Anyway, I'll be going into the store tomorrow - and that remote had better be there! BIG SIGH.
Respectfully. . . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2788
Larry, if someone deliberately tore off your blue adhesive name tag and put it on another remote, I'd say it's a fairly sure bet it was a dishonest act. What would be the motive in doing that if it wasn't to appease another customer?

Good luck with getting it back (in good working order) tomorrow Larry. If it can be settled without a fight (verbal or otherwise) then all the better for you.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14342

"Larry, if someone deliberately tore off your blue adhesive name tag and put it on another remote, I'd say it's a fairly sure bet it was a dishonest act. What would be the motive in doing that if it wasn't to appease another customer?"

Oh, maybe because a good percentage of equipment comes into a shop nowdays because the owner can't get something to work but they never check the batteries in the remote. Go ask any technician what's the first thing they check when a problem is reported - the batteries in the remote. I've solved dozens of problems by just having the batteries get checked and changed. Larry even said the batteries in the remote he has are cheap ones.

Now, the tech has two battery covers laying there that look exactly alike and he picks up the wrong cover to the wrong remote. The tape has been removed to check for batteries and the remote gets mislabeled.

Is that a deliberate act of theft? A deliberate act of theft involving a battery cover to a remote?

Give it a f'ing rest, guys. Unless you got video to prove your case, you're all just a bunch of paranoids.

Geezobeezo! Get real!

Someone tell me why the tech would return an inoperative remote knowing full well if it doesn't work it's going to come back on him.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2789
Larry, did you place your name tag tape over the battery cover?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2023
SIGH: Let me go through - once more - exactly what I did, what I said, what I got back, and why I cried "foul."
Took in the remote - with bright blue 2" tape containing my name and number - it did NOT cover the battery door - was on the main body of the unit.
They specifically requested the remote. . .not sure why.
When I got the unit back, I checked the serial # on the amp - and saw the blue tape on the remote - so I thought, OK, this is mine.
When I got the NAD hooked up I took the remote to try to turn it on. First time I'd really played with it, because of that big, blue tape.
Nothing worked. Took it back to the shop, and complained. At first they balked, until I told them I'd scribed my SS number on the inside, under the batteries. NO, IT WASN'T REALLY THE SS NUMBER.
They said they'd "get back to me."
Well, this afternoon I called them to ask about progress. They hemmed and hawed, and said they'd get back to me.
At 4:46 p.m. - they close at 5 - I called and got the owner on the phone, who then gave me this confusing tale about how he, not the repair guy, had got "confused" over several remotes, and didn't realize that mine was programmed to operate a TV and CD player as well. A lie, because I'd told him that to his face when I took it in. SIGH.
Mer says - and I agree - that they all got together in the back room this afternoon and thought up a story that wouldn't put a lot of blame on any one person. Maybe. . .
Still doesn't make ANY sense that they'd take off the tape and transfer it UNLESS they did - on purpose - intend to give me an inoperable remote.
OK - why do that when I'd quickly find out? Mer suggests that they'd simply say that the remote died AT MY HOUSE, so they'd be free of liability. Mer should-ah been an lawyer. . .
Anyway - I'm confused, but just anxious to get the remote back and end all the hassle!
We'll see if the remote - MY remote - really does show up. I'll quickly tell, because of the numbers inside, and Mer even suggests taking in the Oppo. If the remote I get does operate it, well, it will really be my remote. The chances of anybody else in Naples having both a NAD receiver and an Oppo CD player are - forgive me - REMOTE.
OK - I hope that clears up the issues?
There's still a lot I don't understand about all of this. .l .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14347

"Still doesn't make ANY sense that they'd take off the tape and transfer it UNLESS they did - on purpose - intend to give me an inoperable remote.
OK - why do that when I'd quickly find out? Mer suggests that they'd simply say that the remote died AT MY HOUSE, so they'd be free of liability."

Liability for what? If the the remote is inoperable, why not just tell the actual client who owns the remote that and have them order a new remote? They're a repair shop, that's what they do is order replacement parts for stuff that doesn't work. Whether it's you or him, they are going to sell a new remote. Why would they choose you? They all got together in the back room and decided you're the mope that always has this stuff happen to him?

You think they gave the other guy a free remote? Why? Just because?

And just decided you looked like someone who wouldn't complain? You looked like someone who hadn't been screwed with in the last 24 hours?

Either way they sell a new remote. Why p!ss off a customer for the sake of a remote? What? they're gonna do this to a hundred customers and they're gonna make their monthly profit on remotes?

"I called and got the owner on the phone, who then gave me this confusing tale about how he, not the repair guy, had got "confused" over several remotes, and didn't realize that mine was programmed to operate a TV and CD player as well. A lie, because I'd told him that to his face when I took it in."

You're right, Lar, everything is a lie and everyone is telling a lie. You told him to his face ... but it didn't matter to him since it had nothing to do with the repair. So why should he remember that specific tidbit? 'Cause he wanted to lie about it?

There probably is some CYA going on now, nobody wants to just say, "Yeah, I'm a dumbf**k and I was havin' a particularly dumbf**k day", but maybe this really was just a screw up. It shouldn't have happened but it did.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2024
Shhhhhhhh, everybody. Please. I've got this wonderful Chopin concerto playing. . . . . .on the computer.
Beautiful. . . . .
Respectfully. . . LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2790
Good luck Larry and enjoy the music.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2025
Well, it's DONE! The shop owner was supposed to call me today when my remote came in - of course, he didn't. But as I had to go out shopping anyway, I drove to the shop.
In the interest of brevity, let me just say that there were a few moments of elevated temperature, followed by a gentlemen's agreement, and the remotes were exchanged on neutral ground.
Yes, I checked to be sure it was mine. Yes, the shop owner did apologize, and I thought "enough!" and didn't press the issue.
So - the remote is back home - checked out - working splendidly - and my nerves have settled down.
FLASH - in doing some preliminary work on our income taxes, it would seem that we'll get enough of a refund so that I MIGHT BE ABLE TO BUY THE OPPO Special Edition! I hope. . .
It's one of the very few audio-related things that I've lusted for in recent years - the B&W 705s being the other.
Waiting to hear ANY reviews by any dawgs, please! REviews online are scant, I guess it's too new?
And it is surely all in my mind, but after cleaning and tweaking and putting in the new speaker cables, I swear that my rig sounds fuller and richer. Mer was first to comment, BTW. So we're both nutz! GRIN
And as an aside - anybody know anything about PSB speakers? They're being highly recommended to me as having "sound like the old KEF 104/2" - speakers I once had, and loved dearly. Just wondering. . .
REspectfully. . . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2794
That's great news Larry.

Now if you are worried about the SE not fullfilling your requirements Oppo gives you a 30 day 100% satisfaction return policy. You can't ask for more than that.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2026
M.R. - yes sir - I've read, read, read all about them, and based on my experience with a more humble Oppo - the brand is a "keeper." My main concern is: will spending all that money on a player really make that much a sonic difference in playing CDs/SACDs? I tend to gloss over the Blu-ray part, because I'm really more tuned in to audio than to video.
So - I eagerly await any and all personal reviews - and of course I respect all the Olde Dawgs and their kit-trials.
SIGH - it's just good to have my music-friends back!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2795
A difference - yes, for sure. Whether or not the difference is worth your expenditure only your ears will tell - not ours and not the reviewers. In hi-fi small increments in sound quality don't come cheap, but to consider the SE, $899 is not big money for a quality player and you get excellent cd and scad playback with one of the best video, both std and bluray on the market. With the 30 day money back guarantee it's really a no brainer. If I hadn't purchased the std BD-83 I'd be buying one in an instant and even though they are a rip off $1699 here.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2027
A HYMN TO THE GOOD OLD LP - - latest AARP journal has an article bemoaning the loss of the LP - or has it been lost? Well, the article would have us believe that vinyl is making a come-back. . .and about time!
GRIN
The "perfect sound forever" promise has gone from gold to lead, and now there are hints most everywhere that the prized black discs have never truly gone away.
Witness a movie Mer and I watched on DVD the other night: "The Answer Man." Not a great movie - quirky - but in one scene the main mope walks over to a stand and sets a record on what Mer and I thought at first was a Hollywood prop turntable. Pretty impressive thing, this, uh, whatever it was! So I had to research.
Turns out it was NOT a prop - but a McIntosh MT10 turntable - all $8,000 of it. You can look it up. . .and drool.
Meanwhile, the NAD sings along nicely, whilst I still fret over the little silver discs that do NOT give me the Perfect Sound I'd expected way back when I bought the first one - and immediately questioned its sonic virtues.
No, Art and Michael W and all who still spin magic on your turntables, I'm not going "retro" on you - but am more determined than ever to match up with an Oppo Bd-83SE whenever the nickels add up.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2028
Forgot to add - one of my last turntables (lost in the divorce -SIGH) was a B&O Beogram 3000 tangential turntable with MMC4 cartridge. I still hate the judge who gave it to my wife - who, according to neighbors, took out her spite on me by smashing it with a shovel in the driveway. There are justifications for homicide. . . .

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2820
. . . or suicide.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2029
And there were some days when I considered that. . . . .SIGH

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14399
Long gone days, Larry, same as here.

Username: Don_rx1

Post Number: 1
To: Larry, John, John S, MR, Jan, et al:

Hello! I see that the Old Dawgs are still barking after all these years.

Larry, glad to hear that your NAD is back in service. As for the Oppo BDP-83 SE (CDN$956.38), it's a tempting replacement for my Cambridge Audio DVD99, but like you, I wonder if the analogue improvement is true and worth the hefty price.

My wife and I are happy with the CA DVD99's video upscaling. We saw a Blu-ray version of "Wanted" (Angelina Jolie, Morgan Freeman) playing on a Sony LCD, and we found the resolution too clear for our tastes. It looked like it had been filmed using a high-def TV camera. Then I found on the 'net that a lot of LCD TV owners had complained about the same thing. Does anyone here know if this also happens to plasma TV's?

Well, I hope ye Old Dawgs are doing well and enjoying the music as always.

Cheers!
Don

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2030
Don - and New Year's Greetings to you and your family, sir! Yeah, Mer and I are going round and round on this upgrade issue. But when I read about other Dawgs and their Regas and other esoteric CD-players, well, I wonder if they've figured out the problems, and I'm left behind in the audio mud. . .
I know what you mean about the Blu-ray pic being almost TOO crisp. Hi-def TV is wunnerful, but do we need to see every pore and nasal hair?GRIN
Enjoy the music? Heck, I keep trying. . .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14408
Hi again Don. New member? hehe

I will have the SE in hand this coming week, and I will compare it to my apollo for all.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2822
Hi Don, good to see you're alive and kickin' - try resetting the resolution to 1080i or less if the picture is too good for you. :-)

Nuck, it will be interesting. Looking forward to your comparison - be fair and give the SE some running in.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14410
I will do my best, M.R.
100hrs was bantied about somewhere.

Post Number: 2
We have a Samsung plasma TV, so I don't know if that "soap opera" TV effect that I saw on the Sony LCD TV also affects plasma. I hope not. I'm holding off on getting a Blu-ray player. If and when I do, it would have to be a universal player that will replace my CA DVD99. The Oppo BDP-83 and the new, more expensive Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD are possible choices. But for now, I'm happy watching DVD's; I absolutely love my SACD's and I have no need or desire to start collecting Blu-ray discs.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2827
We have a Samsung plasma as well Don. I have not experienced what you stated with the LCD - saw the same movie - but great picture quality all the same. I like Bluray also for music videos in hi-rez sound.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2031
Nuck, Nuck. Uh, hello, Nuck? So - do you have your BDP-83SE yet? We're waiting impatiently. . . . . .GRIN

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14458
Sorry, Lar. I was away for a few days.
I commented on MR's thread over in cdp's.
The oppo has been spinning silently for a few days, I will report tonight

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14460
Using the Oppo pretty much straight redbook playback so far, and I am liking what I am hearing so far.
To be truly convinced, it has to play for sommore time, I think. I am expecting the 2nd coming of Elvis here!

The player does what it is supposed to do, no hiccups.
I have yet to do a closer side by side with the Apollo, but I amfamiliar enough with the Rega to say that the Oppo easily outdoes it. So far.

So far means that I need to hear more of the player in all formats.

Remember, I am using the player in pcm stereo only, 2.0, and only with supplied cabling, analog 2 wire to the Mac. There are many ways to use the player, but this was the hype and the reason to buy. That and the Apollo has lost it's brains wandering around in the outback or something, seemingly never to return. It was a chance to give my Sony BDP550 to my BIL anyhow, for his birthday.

One box fix that does not disappoint so far

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2032
Nuck: Wowzer! The more I read from various people online, the more I realize that I really, really DO want an Oppo of my very own! GRIN
Thanks for the review - and I'll check in with this thread and with the CDP thread also.
Now - one nickel, three dimes, a buck here and there - heck, I'll have the dough for the Oppo by the time I'm 80! (double grin)
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11952
Question, Nuck.

When you insert the CD does it start to play automatically or does it wait for you to press play.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2868
I can answer Art - you can set autoplay on or off in the set-up menu.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14463
Autoplay, autoselect, auto output connection.
The hdmi is spot on for time watching concert DVD (sigh, good old DVD). Great pic. Upscaled to tv native 1080p, I turned it down to 720p.

I found a recording that is sounding not right on the Oppo.

Bonnie Raitt 'Nick of time', track 8 "Too soon to tell", there was at first some shine, then smear on it. I never heard that on the Apollo. It's a piano piece.
Will retest this weekend.

Everything else is good. Nice packaging. I am using it as it was made to be used, no issues to report.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11953
Unless you can turn the autoplay off that would be a deal breaker for me. Keep reporting...I like reading what's happenin' in real time!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14466
How so Art? You can change anything pretty qickly with the remote.

Another well known cd, (sans piano) sounds perfect even being known for brash.
Billy Squier 'Emotions in motion'

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3170
Good stuff.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14469
Film at 11

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11954
I like auto start with movies but I would not have a cd player that had auto start without a way to turn it off. I want to load my disc, have a seat, get situated and then turn the music on. I don't want to have the music start then pause it (or stop it) be seated, get situated and restart it. Not faulting anyone who wants to do that, but that would definitely be a deal breaker for me, at least at that price. I have an Oppo in my office running to Audioengine A5's (tommorow) and the auto start drives me nuts...not for me.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2869
I'm with you on that for cd's Art.

load
sit
drink
play
listen
drink
listen
drink
listen
drink
change disc
repeat sequence

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11955
LOL!!! That's pretty much it MR!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14471
Wait, let me get a pencil to write this down...

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2033
Whilst you're writing, Nuck - the latest edition of Consumer Reports mag shows Oppo BDP-83 leading the pack of Blu-ray players. True, it's tied with the Panasonic DMP-BD80 - but it's still #1. OK, OK, I know that CR is noted more for "mid-fi" reviews than "hi-fi" reviews - but in the "common man" category, Oppo rules! GRIN
In case you're wondering - Sony BDP-S560 is 3rd and LG BD390 is 4th in the list.
I know all this is below the level of interest to most Olde Dawgs - but just thought I'd post it.
Trying to follow the Saturn stuff on other forums - just so I know what's happening. . .
Looks like I may be getting my very own Oppo in March or April. Please keep reviews coming.
After MR's listening test, however, I wonder if - with my rather mid-fi kit - popping the extra bucks for the SE would be worth it - sonics wise?
Jest axing. . .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2035
Good grief! Just realized that in a few weeks it will be THREE YEARS since I sent out my nearly-wonderful "Insanity Mats!" I actually have three lying about in a drawer - anybody out there stiff have/use one? Umm. . . . .
And what about CD-cleaning? I've given up on everything but lightly sanding the outer rim and cleaning (not polishing, Jan) the discs with microfiber towels (only!) and lens cleaner from Sam's Club - seems to do the job very well.
The Oppo is on the horizon. . .
REspectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2052
A sad old dawg. SIGH. Finally took one of the 705s into the shop for testing, after a listening session at slightly higher than usual volume produced rather painful distortion from the tweeter. The tweeter flunked high frequency and "burst" (?) tests - the tech said that the tweeter must have been overdriven at some point. Oh, good. . .
I side-stepped the shop's $220 asking price for replacement and ordered up a new tweeter from B&W ($130) and now I wonder - how come?
I usually play music at a moderate or lower level - and the distortion only showed itself at higher levels - not screaming high, but higher than I usually listen to.
So I began researching, and "learned" (yeah. ..) that, quote: "an overdriven stereo system will result in strident or gritty treble that clears up AT LOWER LOUDNESS LEVELS." (caps mine for emphasis)
That might explain it? I did buy the 705s used, though they were in perfect physical condition - I thought.
Maybe my nagging comments that "something's wrong" with the speakers finally resulted in some action only after the string quartet CD I was listening to (at higher volume) became so painfully distorted that I had to do - something?
I feel rather stupid that I've "slopped along" with these speakers for some two or maybe three years.
So - were they overdriven by the previous owner? And why only one distorted tweeter - not both?
Any dawgs with answers? Probably. . . .I await instructions.
And oh, yes - I hasten to add that I was NOT playing the music loud enough to damage the speakers -never have.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14518
Lar, it seems likely tht the previous owner did the damage.
Why just oneside?
Perhaps the other guy used balance to manage the imaging.
Maybe the tweeter was never very good.
Maybe a lot of things, but I doubt that the tweeter issue would only be apparant at higher volumes.
It is likely the case that better ears than mine or yours would have picked it out, maybe?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2056
Nuck: I think your comment that the issue would "only be apparent" at higher volumes is a key here. My ears aren't the greatest, so distortion at lower listening levels would not be as evident as when playing at levels higher than Mer can stand! GRIN
Remembering that she listens to TV with volume so low I cannot hear it at all - well, she cannot stand listening levels much above threshhold - and that's why the levels are low when she's about. SIGH. When the cat goes out to teach . . . . .aha, the rat-er-mouse doth verily play - a bit louder. GRIN
Anyway - I've e-mailed the good chaps at B&W, asking their advice on what might have happened, and what to do now. We'll see/hear what differences the new tweeter makes. I probably should have taken in BOTH speakers, but the right one sounds much better to me, so I did not. AT least yet. . .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2058
To any with B&W speakers - IF you ever need parts/service - I've been working with the greatest guy - Eric John McBride. He was not satisfied that I took the speaker into the shop. He had me take both tweeters off, then switch them from cabinet to cabinet - his object: to see if something other than the tweeter itself was to blame - wire, crossover, etc. After switching the tweeters, the "bad" sound followed, and he was satisfied that the tweeter was at fault. He's sending a new one - with the caveat that I need to play it at least a week before it breaks in and comes close to the other tweeter in sound. He also hinted that perhaps I need BOTH tweeters changed out if the new one sounds appreciably better. He said that if one tweeter is overdriven to the point of damage, both tweeters may well be involved. SIGH.
Anyway - IF you ever need B&W help emcbride@bwgroupusa.com will get you to his desk - he's a service supervisor. And gives the sort of advice that I get from y'all on this Forum.
Just FYI, dawgs.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14525
I always recommend changing in pairs, Lar, but you know where to get another one if the 'keeper'now starts to sound wonky.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2060
Yeah, Nuck - I even got a "it might be a good idea in the future" comment from the B&W guy - but I thought he was just trying to sell yet another piece of kit for me to use - and love, or not. . .SIGH
So - how long should I "cook" the new tweeter before making a value judgement on its character? A week, using the Oppo for, say, 4 hours a day? I'm in the dark here, dawgs - so enlighten me, please.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2289
Change both wiper blades and headlights at the same time. I think I would have changed both tweeters at the same time.

Being that you play (assumption on my part) mostly stereo versus mono and your ears are tuned to what is left channel and what is right channel on the material you are familiar with I will propose that it would be difficult to consciously identify that the remaining tweeter is not up to par.

I thought my left monoblock was holding up its end of the bargain until it quit working one day. When I brought it in to Les Sims to get it repaired he brought it to a level he thought it should be. Holy McIntosh was everything better in 2-channel when I got it back.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2063
Ah, yes, Michael - hinted and hinted to the B&W chap that perhaps it would be wise to change out both tweeters - but he was hesitant, saying that I should audition the one he's sending for about a week of "break-in" playing - then decide if the old tweeter has markedly less "oomph" or more distortion, etc. I'm on the fence on this. . .just hate to spend money when it's not necessary - but understanding that getting TWO new tweeters simultaneously makes sense. SIGH.
What I shall be listening for is rather obvious distortion, sonic coloration, etc., and if, indeed, I can't tell the difference, I'll stick with the single new tweeter - maybe at my own peril, sound-wise? Hmmm. . . . .it's also $130 for one T vs. $260 for two. . . .and a small budget.
You make good points, Michael, and we'll see what happens.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2290
Tough call either way Larry, but if you switch the speakers in somewhat of an A/B test, it may be easier for you to identify the differences. Changing the L/R inputs will not work as I stated before, your mind has already formed an opinion on your familiar music where certain sounds come from and changing L/R inputs instead of swapping speakers will certainly sound like dog dung whether or not there is a problem with the tweeter. Everything will sound out of place to you.

Swap speakers, listen swap back, listen, repeat.

Cheers

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2891
Had it been me Larry, I would have got both tweeters as Michael suggested, however I understand the budget part all to well. Especially lately!

However, the unoffending tweeter may well be fine - meaning the BDP-83SE purchase date may hold. Good luck with it.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2064
Good points, Michael - will indeed switch speakers around once the new tweet is in place and has run in for a day or so.
Yeah, MR, the budget is a bit pinched as I transfer nickels from one jar to the other in prep for the BIG purchase! SIGH.
Still - IF, as Michael says, a speaker-switch proves that the second T is also ailing - well, I'll at least go for a new diaphragm, if not a whole T assembly. The D's, BTW, are on back order from England - waiting time at least six weeks.
As for the Oppo - I was delighted to see that Amazon just listed the SE on their site. Good for me 'cause I have a $50 certificate for Amazon purchases, which would help with the Oppo cost! GRIN
Unless things change - as they often do - I'll be putting in the Oppo order the first few days of March. Anxious. . . . .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2070
Wow! Oh,my! Oooooooh. . . . .sorry, dawgs, I just installed the new tweeter in the 705s and I can't believe my aging ears! Even though it's brand new and not broken in, I'm hearing high freqs from the speaker that I've never heard before! And the distortion? Way, way, way below what it's always been. SIGH
So - I'm a much happier - even startled - camper. Playing a disc that's very revealing of what tweeters can - or can't do - a Pentatone SACD with Arabella Steinbacher playing Szymanowski and Dvorak violin concertos. The super-high notes play havoc with anything except pretty darn good tweeters - and before I traded out the offending T I always thought the CD was less than great - or that my ears were in worse shape than I thought.
Now I sit here with the SACD playing in the other room - and I want to immerse myself in the sound - quick-o pronto. SIGH. My, my, how a stupid ole dawg like meinself can slop along for, what, a couple of years and not realize that there was a speaker problem - and not just a problem with my hearing! GRIN
Will wonders - sonic and otherwise - never cease.
March 3rd - the order goes in for my Oppo 83SE - THAT should be quite a revelation with the new tweeter, eh?
Playing and playing music - and we'll see if the second tweeter also needs replacing - but I think it does not. (what do I know???)
Thanks for reading my rant. . . .

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2902
That's just great Larry - now you'll be able to get into rock'n'roll and maybe a bit of heavy blues.

:-)

Seriously, glad to hear the good news my friend. Enjoy that music.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2072
BB King, here I come! GRIN

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12073
Excellent, Larry!

Post Number: 3
Larry, how does that Steinbacher SACD compare with any of the Julia Fischer discs? I assume you have at least one of the latter. I have the Fischer recording of the Tchaikovksy violin concerto, also on PentaTone, and both performance and sound are beyond belief.

I assume you've already submitted your tax returns and you're just waiting for that $$ refund to finance the Oppo 83SE? All the best!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2073
Don - good to "hear" from you. First, the tax returns went in electronically,and the Oppo gets ordered on March 3rd. I only got a small return -SIGH - so it won't help much this year.
As to the Fisher discs - UH - I'm just not a great fan of hers, I'm afraid. I link her performances to those of Joshua Bell, who started out his career with careful attention to detail and an honest, if slightly warm, sound. Then he began to "sell out," and his performances have taken on a more "pop" feel - not in technique, but in interpretation and "schmaltz." SIGH. Ms. Fisher has an upfront ego that on occasion gets in the way of her performances, unfortunately. Again - not technique, but interpretation. All that is, of course, IMHO.
But I have the Pentatone disc - and agree that it is a "stunner" in terms of sonics. However, don't look for her on Pentatone anymore - she's gone over to (ugh) Decca I understand. Bye-bye sonics.
May I humbly suggest a couple of other recordings if you love the Tchaikovsky? First, a young lady who made a big splash, then sorta disappeared - Leila Josefowicz - great recording! I saw her perform it in Chicago - and was hooked.
Also - Maxim Vengerov - the Berlin boys with Claudio Abbado - an interpretation very close to the late David Oistrakh, which I consider the performance to compare all with - just don't expect great sound from Oistrakh's old discs!
So - Fisher? I give her a solid 8 for interpretation, a 10 for sonics. Fisher and Steinbacher, BTW, come from the same violin "school," and thus share many of the same mannerisms and interpretation. That's a positive, not a negative, though - both excellent musicians.
I read so many reports on the "death of SACD," but while that may be true here in Ameruka - SACD is alive and rather well in Europe and other spots outside of our faire land - where Classical continues to take a beating. SIGH.
I know - preaching to the choir! GRIN
Waiting for the Oppo. . .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Bronze Member
Username: Asimo

Ramat-GanIsrael

Post Number: 79
Hi Larry

Your story about the damaged 705 tweeter is amazing. We tend to blame age for everything in our life
Years ago I used to check my sound system again and again to discover anomalies or failures like higher volume in one side that can make you crazy
Now I have the NAD C162 C270 Pre Power combo that is very reliable.
Enjoy your speakers and tell us about the Oppo when possible

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12092
Hmm, my Fischer Decca disc sounds pretty good.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2076
Asimo - good hearing from you! Ah, the 705 saga. Yes, I've taken the problem tweeter under the magnifying glass -and can see no "damage." Me thinks maybe the coil is defective or something? The cone seems fine. SIGH. At any rate, I've taken the advice of most of the Forum members, bitten the budget bullet, and ordered up a second new tweeter. Probably a good idea, even though it's an extra $95USD out of my thin pocket! GRIN
I should have taken the second 705 into the shop in the first place, but its sound didn't seem as degraded, so I opted for an admittedly inadequate solution - which has given me much better sound, so far.
As to the Oppo - I'll surely yell and scream and holler IF it's as good as people indicate. If not - well, I'll have 30 days to send it back (sob)
One good side effect with the Oppo - it comes with a couple of super system-check discs - that will allow me to put the speakers and everything else through their paces to check for distortion, phase problems, etc.
I'll be in touch on that score. . . .oh, about mid-March.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2077
Art - I must assume you're talking about the Bach Concertos album with the Academy of St. Martins-in-the-Fields? It's her first "outing" with Decca, and is getting very good reviews.
I'll not quibble with technique or interpretations - my concern, and the concern of many others, was with the overall Decca sonics - which are generally considered to be B-grade overall.
I've not yet heard the new disc, but I did rather enjoy the little video that you can access if you call up the Fischer disc on Amazon.com. About 3 minutes long, with Ms. Fischer telling of the recording session, etc.
The Decca, of course, is NOT SACD, thus for those of us with SACD-capable gear, it won't sound as good (probably) as a disc by Pentatone, etc. With your higher-quality CD gear, however, the differences may, indeed, be slight.
I always appreciate and look forward to your comments, Art!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Post Number: 4
Larry, before the SACD came along, I've always avoided buying violin concerto CD's because to my ears, at least, most if not all of them sounded thin. Plus the fact that I prefer the cello (Rostropovich and Starker, for instance) over the violin in either solo or ensemble setting. I don't know anything about Julia Fischer except that her playing on the Tchaikovsky PentaTone SACD impressed me.

As for non-classical violin, there's no one like Stephane Grappelli playing jazz manouche.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2078
Don - have to agree with you on all points, sir! The cello is one of my fav instruments - witness my growing collection of chamber music discs. SIGH Too many discs, too little cash! GRIN
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2081
Black Magic. Well - sorta. Whilst trying to audition more cello concertos, I got a Schumann from the library - an older DG disc - and although I liked the performance (Rostropovich) the sonice left me rather cold. So I decided to dub down the disc - Windows Media Player lossless - onto one of my BLACK Memorex CDs.
Amazing difference in sound quality! The black disc was full, clear, warm and very natural-sounding - unlike the DG disc which was thin and rather tinny. Hmm. . . .
This has happened to me before - can't explain why a BLACK disc should give me "better" sound - but it simply opens the windows.
And speaking of sound - been reading that the Oppo 83SE is certainly not the first player to incorporate the ESS Sabre DACs - the McIntosh MCD500 got them more than a year ago, and, believe it or not, Samsung is putting the ESS DACs on its P2550 player - which does NOT PLAY SACDs - just Blu-ray, DVDs and CDs. I hear rather disparaging reviews of the Samsung, BTW.
Two weeks and counting. . . .'til "Oppo Order Day."

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2922
Larry, here is one of the most comprehensive SACD directories. Might come in handy.

http://www.sa-cd.net

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2304
Larry, I have replaced your "Insanity Mat" with a blank BLACK Memorex CDR. In that the Saturn is a top loading machine I affix the blank disc to the red book disc using temporary two sided tape on the bottom or burn side of the blank disc.

Same results. There are reasons for this. Google it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14574
I have nothing but the fondest memories of tearing apart the cdp to retrieve an upside down insanity mat, with my then wife laughing her ars off.
I was too.
2nd bottle of wine that night.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2082
MR - thanks - I go there nearly every day - good reviews!
Michael W - SIGH - I've tried the disc-on-disc in the Oppo - and have found that all I get is a big, noisy mess and a refusal to play. DOUBLE SIGH. What do I Google, BTW?
Nuck - yeah - I just tried a "Mat" the other day - and wound up trying to open-close until I got it out. I guess the Oppo just will NOT put up with any, uh, "Insanity?!?"
Respectful-like. . . . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2923
On a few cd's I have cut out circular discs of thin adhesive black vinyl (to cover books) and attached to the label side of the cd. It made sonic improvements ranging from marked, subtle and none depending on the disc. I found it was too much trouble to keep doing on an on-going basis. But I might start doing it again one day.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2083
Oh, Great Bruce Almighty - here we go again! GRIN
OK - just got off the phone with a stereo guru that I trust (sorta) and who always comes up with the right solution - sometimes.
He says that my "Insanity Mat" gave him the idea that has made his collection more "listenable." Whatever that is. . .
Here's what he did just last month. Went to Ace Hardward and bought a spray can of something called "Plasti Dip." (sp?) He says it is basically electrical tape in a can - spray or brush it on where you'd usually use electrical tape.
Anyway - he says he took a plastic disc that comes on top of a CD blank disc spindle, sprayed it with Pam, and wiped it down to a thin coat. Then sprayed the Plasti-Dep on it - four coats, he said. When it dried it formed a perfect black disc, and he just took an Xacto knife and trimmed away the center hole and outer edges, then carefully washed the mats in dish soap and let dry. He claims the smooth underside of the mat adheres nicely to CDs without any mastic.
He CLAIMS that his discs - like Michael W's - make his CDs sound warmer and cleaner.
So - oh, where did my brain go? - on the morrow I may hike over to the hardware store, or Lowe's, and find me some of that spray stuff.
Heck - I'm old and retired, what else do I have to do with my time?
At least the spray should produce a mat that's thin enough to prevent disc drawer jam-up? Or else it will totally jam it! SIGH.
Losing self-respect. . . . LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2925
Larry, there are many versions of the insanity mat and they all lead to the same thing. Hence the name. :-)

But whoever said we are sane?

But if you do go through with this experiment let us know the verdict. However, I am sure there must be an easier method or altenative product. we only need to find it. The vinyl adhesive discs I made seem to do the same thing. It's just a pain making one for each disc, so something thin, black and slightly sticky to throw on top each time we play a cd would be the ticket.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2084
Yeah, M.R. - SIGH - I don't know if I'm gonna go through with another weird and wild experiment!
But I was taken aback when I played the black CD-R this afternoon. The difference between it and the original disc was phenomenal, not just a small difference.
My mind stiff refuses to understand all this. . .
But my hands are itching to try. . . . .GRIN

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2926
Maybe I'll have to give the black cd-r a go too Lar.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14577
Heck, I have not jammed up the new player yet, ler 'er rip Lar!
I can difficultize anything.
It is a word today.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2085
"Difficultize" - LUV IT!!! Adding to my computer dictionary, Nuck.

SIGH OK - on the morrow I'll burn a couple more black CDs and do some more A-B comps. Mer has private students here, though, so I have to keep the "noise" down! GRIN
IF I can lay my hands on some of the spray-on latex I'll try to make some "new, improved and difficultized" Insanity Mats, as well. DOUBLE SIGH.
What did I do to start this all over again? And why. . . .
Something to do until the Oppo gets here.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2927
Well, as I was mousing my way over this forum on the thin, black mouse pad, I was struck with an idea. Ouch!

Using an old cd as a template, I cut a cd size piece from the mouse pad (as well as eight little discs to try under component feet) and tested the spin with it sitting on a cd in the Saturn. So far so good. Using it one side it seems to be slightly warped. Using it the other side, it sits nice and flat on the disc.

Although it's another very hot, very humid day, I'm aiming a fan at the amps and letting the Saturn spin a disc or two in silence and then I'll test the MP Mat for sonic differences. Could this be the beginning to millions? :-)

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2928
Well, I won't be doing this test for at least a few days. The heat and humidity are throught the roof. I don't suppose you guys in North America think too much about global warming at present, if it is happening (and I don't necessarilly believe it is), it's happening right here at our house. Someone please drop an iceberg on us!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2086
M.R. - you say a "thin" mouse pad? Well, that may well work on your Saturn, but unless it is VERY thin, it won't work on drawer-type players. Nuck and I have found out the hard way!
Been doing more research - and those who claim "success" with such things as "The Mat," etc., say the problem involves several things: first, mini-vibrations in the player itself (I remember Jan talking to that), then there is the problem of thin aluminum layers that the laser can "see right through" to the label, and finally there is the problem of general laser scatter (which many say doesn't exist)
Perhaps the BLACK CDs help resolve the problem of the laser seeing "through to the label?" Not sure of that - but after viewing several discs using a flashlight shining through from the label to the playing side, I understand the problem of label-involvement.
Should the laser, indeed, be able to shine through the reflective layer and onto the label, then there is some degree of reflection off the dense portions of the label. Hmmm. . . .this could, indeed, create multiple reflections that I see as possible distortion-causing.
OK - is Black then the answer? By putting black BEHIND the thin reflecting layer the laser surely would still be affected by thin/thick portions of the label - and the reflective qualities would still exist, as the Black would only absorb any laser light that shined through the label.
Would then SILVER backing or,in this case, Mat on the disc make a difference? It would, or at least "might" help even up the laser reflections?
Thoughts from y'all would surely help here. . . . .
Meanwhile, I shall continue on my quest to create the "perfect" Super-Size Total Insanity Mats. . . .if the wine holds out.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2087
ANATOMY OF INSANITY - part I
SIGH: Well, I got my stuff together and started in to make the first Totally Insane Mat. But immediately I ran into a "stability" problem with just spraying the liquid rubber. Hmm. . .research time.
Online I noted that all of the commercial Mats have some form of carbon fiber, either core or whole mat. Too "light" in my thinking . . .so away I went to Ace Hardware. What I found was "carbon-impregnated paper" sheets, otherwise known as automotive gasket material. It is 1/32-inch (sorry, Rantz 0.79mm) thick. OK so far.
Here's the design - which I hope to post as pics pretty soon. . .
1 - use a trash disc as template to cut out the circle and center hole.
2 - mount the paper circle on a raised and newspaper-covered stand atop one of those cabinet turntables.
3 - set the turntable spinning and spray the paper disc with the Plasti-dip rubber spray. Let dry.
4 - same process on the other side of the disc, but with Krylon hi-gloss plastic spray. This will cut down or eliminate a problem I had with the original Insanity Mats: the rubber tended to "grab" the hold-down thang and thus got stuck! Remember that, Nuck? Uh-huh.
5 - When all is dry, carefully trim the edges with one of Mer's super-sharp Xacto knives - and TEST THE DISC.

Don't know if I'll need more than one coat of each product - hope not, as that adds to the thickness - and I do NOT want that! I'm hoping for no more than 0.90mm thickness. A CD is 1.2mm thick, and adding that much extra with a Mat screws up the machines!

I'll be doing this tomorrow, so be patient - I'll give updates on this, even if it is a disaster!
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2930
Good luck with it Larry.

I tested the mat in the Saturn and it spins without any obvious problem so far. But the hearing test will have to wait until this heat abates. It seems to muck up the sound or my ears. Or both! So it ain't much point doing it at present. Oh yes, it's a very thin mat that came with the new Acer 'puter. I'm not all that confident it'll show improvements with the Saturn, but we'll see for the fun of it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14584
Lar, keep up the mad scientist thing! I have been dying to open my new player...

MR, are the days still into the 50's there?!? OMG!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2931
Fair go Nuck, that'd be out back a bit. Yesterday was 36 inside with humidity in the 80's. Today is shaping up to be the same. It's a drag.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2088
Testing, testing. . . . .and the carbon-impregnated gasket stock would seem to be curl-friendly. Hmm. . .so I'll be trying again to get a FLAT product with this - but not sure.
In the meantime, I've done a ton more research - and have figgered out to my somewhat-satisfaction that carbon FIBER mats/sheets are needed to make a quality Super Insanity Mat.
So - I've ordered up some .5mm gloss carbon fiber sheets from a company out in Washington State. We'll see what happens when their stuff arrives - should be verrrrrry interesting!
Meanwhile, I'll be trying to get a good run of discs from my current supplies, and see what happens.
SIGH. I've read a lot of positive reviews of something called the Millennium carbon fiber disc - costs $119USD, so it SHOULD do something positive! Yikes!
The carbon fiber I've ordered is 11 x 20 inches, so I can get quite a few discs out of it - IF I can get it to work at all.
Voodoo comes in many shapes and forms. . . . .

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2305
The black blank CDR placed (with temporary double sided tape) atop a redbook or burned CDR in the Saturn (top loader) should have a similar effect as the Millennium carbon fiber disc.

I am an interested guinea pig, um, er, oops, I meant customer for one of your Totally Insane Mats Larry. What was you logic to diverge from what your stereo guru recommended as his methodology?

Also Marsh gave me "Soldier for Love" - Sade for Valentine's Day, which has almost a solid black label. This will be interesting to experiment with, if I can take that much bass for that long. LOL

On another level, Marsh also gave me a couple of Crystal Element Air Freshening Crystals from Renuzit, Emerald Rainforest in honor of my trip to Costa Rica this week. I had asked for candles for my media room and she had visions of my burning the place down so scented crystals will have to do.

How did wives get to be so smart??????????

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2934
How did wives get to be so smart??????????

Maybe we should just ask them Mike lol!

Yeah, the Sade album has substantial bass. But Sade is substantial period imho.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2089
Michael W et al: The guy who says he knows "all about stereo" obviously does not. What I quickly determined using the liquid rubber spray is that is just not physically stable enough to use on a continuing basis. It's very flexible, and even using multiple coats it does not meet my standards for a mat that retains its "circle," if you will. I had not yet had the opportunity to use the gloss plastic spray - the rubber is still too wet. The Krylon surely would stabilize the mat, but I still am not sure whether we'll get a mat that will hold up disc after disc after disc. However, I'll go ahead and finish one or two and see how it goes. The rubber has to cure for another 24 hours before painting. . .
NOW - as to the carbon fiber that I've ordered - all $45 USD of it! In reading several reviews of the Millennium Mat it would seem that it does basically what a black CD does - but is half as thick and so would more easily fit in a drawer-type CD player.
The "talk" is that the carbon fiber somehow damps vibrations, but I'm not at all sure of that, either. Plus, the fiber is pretty slick, and I need something that will "stick" to the CD without being actually glued in place. A thin spray of the Plasti-stuff should do the trick.
So - I'm getting enough carbon fiber to make up a half dozen discs - and IF THEY WORK as well as the $119 Millennium Mat I WILL offer them up to y'all for sale - just recovering my basic materials cost for each disc. No profit in mind - just spreading "good sound" around, OK?
GRIN
First - the carbon fiber won't be here until the middle of next week, so I'll have time to muddle about with the Plasti-spray and Krylon combination. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress, or lack thereof.
Mer, of course, just shakes her head in disbelief. SIGH.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2090
A PS on the carbon fiber - if you want to scan the site where I got it, it is Protech Composites - and I ordered an 11x22-inch sheet of .5mm "twill weave" high gloss carbon fiber.
It will be a bear to cut - but I'll use some of Mer's power tools, so keep your fingers crossed! SIGH
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us