Having tape deck problems.

Username: Kyleevanswastaken

Post Number: 1
So I just got a new (ridiculously old) tape deck. And it seems to be in decent working order ( Sounds find when it plays, ff, rw,) the only problem is when I press record nothing happens, It's an old Panasonic.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1134
Greetings,

I am assuming a cassette tape deck here in which the tapes themselves have those break away tabs on top to prevent recording. If they are removed a piece of cellophane tape placed over the hole will do the trick.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14574

Be more specific about "nothing happens". Nothing is recorded or nothing even moves in the transport mechanics of the deck?

Normally, with the break away tabs removed the deck won't even allow you to depress the "record" button. To check whether the cassette has been protected by the break out tabs it is simply a matter of loooking at the top edge of the cassette housing. If there are open holes in the top of the cassette, the tabs are very likely missing and you'lll need to cover them with tape to allow the cassette to be re-recorded.

If these are brand new tapes, then the tabs should be in place and any holes in the top of the cassette housing would be for automatic sensing of the "type" of tape being used. Chrome and metal tapes employed these same hole type mechanisms which switched the eq of the machine to the proper setting. Therefore a new, unrecorded chrome or metal type tape will have two holes in its housing one on each side of the top along with two break away tabs. A new, unrecorded "normal" tape will have two break away tabs on its topside.

If the deck doesn't even move the transport, try pressing both "play" and "record" at the same time. If the transport moves but you can't record, there are very likely mechanical problems that will require a technician's service.

But, please, be more specific about what is actually occurring.

Username: Kyleevanswastaken

Post Number: 2
Jan Vigne solved it, pressing play and record at the same time, my old tape deck was just needed record to be pressed

Thanks a bunch.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1140
Jan's done it again!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14576

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... he's recording.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »